• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Filter Location

bbrider

Local time
3:58 AM
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed at great length but I still can't find a definitive answer as to why mopar put the fuel filter before the pump on my 72 Satellite. I know the conventional wisdom is to install it after the pump but mopar must have had some reason to install it before. Does anyone know???

I know this has been discussed at great length but I still can't find a definitive answer as to why mopar put the fuel filter before the pump on my 72 Satellite. I know the conventional wisdom is to install it after the pump but mopar must have had some reason to install it before. Does anyone know???

Mopar didn't Install a fuel filter before your pump.

I no longer have a 72 anything, but the best I remember, on my 72 RR GTX, it was after the pump like all big blocks I have seen. On a small block all I have seen, not necessarily a 72, were after the pump also. 48 years down the road someone has changed a fuel filter. The most common reason for someone placing a filter before the pump is to collect trash from a know dirty gas tank.

I understand what you are saying but it is 318 with a single preformed line going from the pump to carburator. Looking at Classic Industries they offer a one piece line for 71/72 318, a two piece line for 71 340 and a one piece line for 72 340. This adds to my confusion.

I found that when i bought my Coronet the fuel filter (with vapor return) is installed after the pump.
But that makes sense as it has the vapor return line returns some fuel to tank, which requires pressure obviously.
But i believe the small blocks had no vapor return line?

Anyway i have 1 more K&N filter in line, still something that needs some attention as 1 filter should be enough.

AKA "the sock'?
Ok, you got me on a technicality.

Mopar did not install a CONVENTIONAL (read: easily replaced) fuel filter before the pump.

. Well now that you’re being more clear - you’re right! Just kidding around and yes I was being technical.
I installed a cheap Fram G15 before and after the pump. I only put one in before to fill the void where the previous owner had installed a loud electric Holley red pump. I went mechanical only on this build.

After an exhaustive search I finally found a picture from the 72 Chrysler Parts Catalog that shows the filter before the pump for 340 applications.
Filter.jpg

After an exhaustive search I finally found a picture from the 72 Chrysler Parts Catalog that shows the filter before the pump for 340 applications.
View attachment 918664
I'm shocked to learn of this. Pre-pump filters not only put added stress on the pump they also lower the pressure to the carb.
Very interesting.

Auto Transport Service
Back