• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel injection 318 poly

TKMSavoy

Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
Hey all, I am considering converting my 1962, 318 poly to throttlebody fuel injection. Looking for improved drivability, idle, etc. Interested to know if anyone else with a 318 poly has made the conversion and if so what your experience has been. Thanks!

Love the Poly. I doubt there will be much improvement, mainly just ease of starting.

The number one thing I'd look at is throttle body size. The more common size is 1.75" throttle bores. Way too big for a 318. Personally I think you could do a wholelot worse than an edelbrock 1405. Those aftermarket alum 4 and 8bbl intakes are pretty crummy torque killers. A factory 4bbl intake with an early 60's AFB would work nicely. I don't think fuel injection is a worthwhile change; considering cost.

Engine size or configuration has no bearing on whether fuel injection will work. If the engine itself is in good running condition it will be fine.

EFI will do what you want it to if you put the time into it. Don’t try to band aid it trying to make it work with non-EFI ignition and fuel systems or it will be pointless.

Also make sure your wiring is good and be honest about your wiring skills. If you’re not confident with electrical work then consider your options for an install before you dive in. The wiring is what trips up most installs.

Engine size or configuration has no bearing on whether fuel injection will work. If the engine itself is in good running condition it will be fine.

EFI will do what you want it to if you put the time into it. Don’t try to band aid it trying to make it work with non-EFI ignition and fuel systems or it will be pointless.

Also make sure your wiring is good and be honest about your wiring skills. If you’re not confident with electrical work then consider your options for an install before you dive in. The wiring is what trips up most installs.
Thanks all, I appreciate your input. I am going to look into a little further, and will let you know what I find and if I move forward with the EFI.

One of these and a 600 or 650 AVS 2 would be a good combo.

20230707_123627.jpg

20230707_123706.jpg

20230707_123729.jpg

20230707_123639.jpg

I work for a performance based automotive shop and what I do is efi calibration.

One day a 66 (or so) lincoln continental shows up for a sniper efi install for basically the same reasons you stated.

At the end of the day I grabbed the Edelbrock carb it arrived with out of the trash and within an hour of arriving home, rebuilt it and put it on my 1959 Cadillac (almost direct swap for the original worn out Carter).

A few adjustments and it runs perfectly.

Next day the tech finishes up the efi install on the Lincoln and the thing still runs horrible.

Turns out some mistake with the intake manifold gaskets resulted in massive vacuum leaks.

After that was corrected it ran pretty good but still not as good as my Cadillac with the carb that came off the Lincoln.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, there are a lot of things that contribute to a properly running engine and if you can't get there with a carb, chances are you won't get there with efi either.

To me, this question isn't really about whether an electronically controlled throttle body is "better" than a carburetor because it's probably a wash in that regard. What EFI does offer is much more finite control over the entire operating range of the engine especially when the ECU controls the timing. Carburetors are much more coarse in their adjustabilty at least with 'normal' tuning situations which obviously leads to compromises. Like say you're tuning for max power at WOT - your part throttle drivability may suffer and vice versa - if you're tuning for economy, your WOT settings will be affected (generally). When you start getting into modified engines, it can be difficult to get a carb to be perfect in all scenarios.

Basically EFI allows you to tailor every point in the ignition and fuel curves for optimal performance. Does everyone who gets involved with EFI go to the lengths required to get their combo to that point? No. That's where you need to be honest with yourself - do you want to spend the time with the software dialing everything in to the best it can be or do you want the ECU to take care of it for you? It's hard to say what your results will be if you don't take the initiative and get involved with the tuning process. Theoretically there should be some overall improvement with EFI but it may not be noticeable enough to be worth while.

I went through the tuning process on my Coronet. I enjoyed it but it did take a long time to get it sorted out properly and the learning curve is steep. But once I built my own custom timing and fuel curves it really made a difference in the overall drivability of the car. I can say with 100% confidence it ran better than it ever did with a carb. I attribute that largely to the digital ignition and ECU-controlled timing but honestly, it was a huge overall difference. No gas smell in the garage, no pumping the throttle on startup and it even increased mileage.

Mind you, this was a basically stock 383 in a heavier car. It had #452 cylinder heads, factory 10:1 flat top pistons, factory hydraulic "335hp" cam", an Eddy Performer intake (which is basically a copy of the stock iron intake in aluminum) and headers. It was not setting any records and it was a struggle to get it to rev over 4,500 rpm but within that range it was good. It spent most of it's time under 3,500 rpm anyway. It was really fun to take on back roads and run it through the gears.

EFI is also a big investment that requires a lot of peripheral parts to make it work properly. The fuel system requirements can really add up. It's also not really worth skimping on the igniton because it basically defeats the main advantage of controlling the timing. And be aware the wiring in the car needs to be in very good shape or you will have all sorts of problems. If the wiring is a mess or even just old, don't even think about EFI until you get that sorted out. I rewired my entire car before EFI and it was absolutely the right thing to do.

If you drive the car a lot in many different scenarios and are willing to get involved with the software, I'd say go for it, it will be great. If you only take it out every once in a while just to putt round town or park it at a cruise night, it might not be worth the expense or effort.

with a throttle body system it is best to run a single plain intake a duel plain doesn't play well with a fuel inj system.

learning how to understand fuel ratio and fuel trims and timing will be in that also so read read read then decide what you want to do.

a in-tank fuel system with a return is best so there is 800 to 1000 dollars with new tank - pump -sending unit - fuel line - clamps

so if you want a car that starts and has in car tuning and drive any where and get better miles per gallon will be up to you to learn how to do it.

with a throttle body system it is best to run a single plain intake a duel plain doesn't play well with a fuel inj system.
I used to think that myself based on stuff I read on the internet but in reality it does not matter what type of intake manifold you use. As I said in my post above, I used an Edelbrock Performer dual plane under my Sniper for 1000s of miles and it wasn't a problem. The rest of my combo was too mild to warrant a single plane anyway. Gotta apply basic logic to these things sometimes.

I'm not sure about other types of EFI but the Holley Sniper ECU uses speed density programming to determine fuel requirements and does not care how the intake is configured. As long as there were no vacuum leaks, the ECU would hit the programmed A/F ratio target.

It sounds like the OP's car is more of a cruiser as well so it will be fine with a dual plane intake.

Thanks for your informative and thoughtful replies. I knew I could get additional perspectives from this forum. Still considering throttlebody fuel injection will let you all know if I go through with it.

Got to be a decent intake first!
Try and find a new Dual plane from the Poly Guru, Gary Pavlovich and pals.

Then a new 4 barrel carb and its easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Some folks who have gone EFI have later ditched 'em.

You can always make more power with a carby...:thumbsup:

IMO.....The only "problem" with this type of manifold is the large plenum area directly under the carb and the way the intake port runners are configured. The origional manifold had 180° flow pattern and better distribution. The Weiand manifold has a huge open plenum which will cause a large mixture pressure drop and a resulting DECREASE in mixture velocities, especially at low RPMs and nominal throttle opening. Low mixture velocities will result in possible poor distribution patterns, especially with the runners st the ends of the plenum. This usually results in low torque output and possibly poor throttle response. It would be a poor candidate for a throttle body injector system for those reasons. Ideally, the faster the mixture velocities results in better distribution and smoother operation and throttle response. Just something to consider.....
BOB RENTON

IMO.....The only "problem" with this type of manifold is the large plenum area directly under the carb and the way the intake port runners are configured. The origional manifold had 180° flow pattern and better distribution. The Weiand manifold has a huge open plenum which will cause a large mixture pressure drop and a resulting DECREASE in mixture velocities, especially at low RPMs and nominal throttle opening. Low mixture velocities will result in possible poor distribution patterns, especially with the runners st the ends of the plenum. This usually results in low torque output and possibly poor throttle response. It would be a poor candidate for a throttle body injector system for those reasons. Ideally, the faster the mixture velocities results in better distribution and smoother operation and throttle response. Just something to consider.....
BOB RENTON
Agreed but there isn't many poly manifolds out there. Choices are limited.

The new Poly intakes were sold out real quick!

Guess they should have made more???:blah:

You can't put any decent carb or injection kit on a 2bbl intake manifold.:realcrazy:

ManifoldFinishOptions.png

Auto Transport Service
Back