• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Injection

i did an MSD Atomic on my 66 440cu about 7 years ago. been running good and did software updates as they came out. good product.

watermelon

I believe that if I had the choice between MSD Atomic or Holley Sniper, I would chose the Sniper. I installed the FAST EZ EFI on Ram runner. I will post some videos of my install and a start up if your interested.

Tanksinc, FiTech pump and efi, teflon fuel lines.

20190109_204026.jpg 20180624_154851.jpg

I'm a little confused, everybody is recommending everything but the MSD but nobody has said if something is bad about the MSD. On paper it looks pretty much like the other systems and the cost is comparable. The Fitech looks like a good deal until you have to add a fuel system for it to run. I'm going to run an external pump since I am using a factory gas tank. In tank pumps are very cool until they break and you have to drop the tank to replace it. They sell the Command Center fuel tank and pump which I think is ingenious but it costs $375. Once you factor that in it costs as much as any other system. The MSD can be set up as a returnless system which I like but when I got the new gas tank I also got a new 3/8 fuel line. I'm going to route it with the existing line and can use it as a return line. I'll need to read instructions about the return line requirements though, I think it needs a pressure regulator.
All that to say Can anyone tell me why not buy the MSD Atomic?

I haven't used the MSD setup, so I can't help you there. But I have installed 4 FiTech units. One (75 Bronco 302) had the Fuel Command center. 2 of the remaining cars (65 Mustang 302 and 69 Charger 496 stroker engine) have EFI tanks from Tanks Inc. The other car my 73 Challenger 493 stroker started with an external pump mounted to the frame. Very noisy and fuel got very hot to the point of vapor lock. I replaced that with a pump in the stock tank. Works alright except at 1/2 tank going around corners or accelerating will stumble as it runs out of fuel as there are no baffles in the tank. I ordered an EFI tank for it yesterday. This time I opted for a Aeromotive Stealth tank from Summit. Reason i went with this one is it has the pump and sending unit already installed in the tank, and I like easy.

The Fitech units required some work understanding the proper setup, vents and returns etc. But after working through all of that I am very happy with the product. Basic tune is simple using the handheld. The system will tune itself as you drive. Starts rights up every time hot or cold and just drive it away. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm a little confused, everybody is recommending everything but the MSD but nobody has said if something is bad about the MSD. On paper it looks pretty much like the other systems and the cost is comparable. The Fitech looks like a good deal until you have to add a fuel system for it to run. I'm going to run an external pump since I am using a factory gas tank. In tank pumps are very cool until they break and you have to drop the tank to replace it. They sell the Command Center fuel tank and pump which I think is ingenious but it costs $375. Once you factor that in it costs as much as any other system. The MSD can be set up as a returnless system which I like but when I got the new gas tank I also got a new 3/8 fuel line. I'm going to route it with the existing line and can use it as a return line. I'll need to read instructions about the return line requirements though, I think it needs a pressure regulator.
All that to say Can anyone tell me why not buy the MSD Atomic?
From what I have read, keep in mind I have not done this myself... I believe a returnless fuel system, and having the pump inline could cause some heating issues, and burns the pump out. I know its a lot of sticker shock, but have you looked into Tanks Inc? http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...ct_id=485/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd485.htm

Edelbrock pro flo, Holley sniper best on the market. Fitech is good also but IMO requires a bit more tweaking than the pro flo. Do a search on Edelbrock pro flo 4 here on the forum. Member @Dennis H just installed a pro flo and is ecstatic about the product.

Funny. I had a holley sniper that never made in into the car, 2 trips back to holley while engine was still on the dyno. And after that it never got back on the engine and was sold. My fitech works great, no issues, way more tunable than the pro flo 3 that I have on the van. Still fighting problems with the Proflo 3 after almost a year.

I'll never buy another holley sniper, probably not another Proflo 3, maybe a Proflo 4 since they are using a close copy to the fitech software. I would buy another fitech

Last edited:
I went with Holley Sniper and Holley Hyperspark on my 511 build. When I researched the available options everything considered: cost, drivability, support, parts, etc this came out on top. I believe a carb would make more power but this will offer better driving. FWIW on the dyno the engine made 640 torque and 592 HP. Once I start driving the car these number should improve as the system learns.

I've been helping out with Sniper installs at the local engine shop. He has a bunch of stroker big block Mopar engines going out the door with Sniper systems on them. It doesn't take too long to get them installed and running on the dyno. Most of them work perfect right out of the box but we did have one that had a bad fuel regulator. There are people who have problems with the Sniper but then again, I've seen people have problems with most everything over the years.

Auto Transport Service
Back