• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel leak at tank/hoses

Maxxx

Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
My 72 satellite has left a lingering gasoline smell in the garage ever since I bought it and started driving it in May. It's my first classic car, and I figured it was atmospheric coming off the carburetor. Lately the smell had gotten intense. I looked under the car and there was a faint shadow of buildup on the floor. I checked underneath and one of the four hoses connected to the fuel tank is leaking right at the hose clamp. Pics attached.
There are drips that are forming at the bottom of the hose clamp, but also streaming quietly down the side of the tank where the hose mates to it. I'm really hoping it's just a failed hose and not a cracked nipple on the tank. See pics.

FYI I just filled the darned thing up with fuel :(

Also FYI I just had a Holley sniper EFI system installed with braided s/s lines back from the engine and an electric higher pressure fuel pump (performance garage did install).

Questions:
The four nipples coming out of the drivers side of the fuel tank feed four hoses; two small hoses and two slightly larger hoses. What is the inside diameter of these four hoses? Also curious, these hoses seem to terminate into something hidden above the drivers rear wheel, what is it? An evap system?

Anyways I'm hoping that replacing the suspect hose (or all four) cures the leak.

Whereas if the nipple is failing at the tank, I assume it's time for a new tank? Which leads to a number of questions (not to get too far ahead of myself):

What is involved with replacing the tank?

What sort of upgrades or reconfiguration might I consider when getting into fuel tank replacement, particularly as it relates to the new EFI system? FYI I'm not interested in keeping anything stock just for the sake of it, much more interested in upgrading with modern components where the opportunity is equivalent. I imagine a plastic gas tank would be desirable?

Any thoughts, advice, and helpful considerations all encouraged, please!

20180922_174019.jpg 20180922_174102.jpg

Last edited:
A fuel leak is a serious matter. Take it back to the shop that did the install. It's their work that's not quite right. But once you touch anything they will say not their responsibility. Don't even mention looking under there. Just tell em you smell gas. Should be no problem for them and they should be happy to fix it for you. Minor leaks are to be expected with such mods as an efi.

Now in a worst case scenario and a nipple is cracked at the tank I would rough the area up with some 80 grit sandpaper and apply a layer of a two part epoxy. Let it set up for a few days and it should be good to go.

OK yeah thanks hangn, I'm glad I didn't pile the family in for a Sunday drive! The fuel smell was evident before the EFI install and besides I don't think they touched that area of the fuel tank, though I could be wrong. I do plan on taking it back to them tomorrow. As you can imagine I'm just trying to widen the focus on the bigger picture in case it is a larger repair, which would likely create the opportunity for a system and/or hardware upgrade.

To be honest I'm VERY apprehensive about rubbing abrasives on an open metal tank of gas 8O ! I'm all for the epoxy solution but only after the tank is removed and flushed, in which case I might as well let the shop do it (I'm not equipped nor comfortable removing a full tank of gas), or at that point go a little further ($) and have them replace the tank with something non-metallic (ABS? not sure what the modern equivalent is).

So I hope everyone can understand the issues? Hangn had probably covered it but all input is welcome!

(Cont'd)
Very important, does anyone know the inside diameter of these four hoses coming off of the gas tank?? Appears to be two small ones and two not-as-small ones. I'm guessing 1/4"ID & 3/8"ID? I can't see the details on the outside of the hose.

Thx bmtg
Shop did the repair, replaced the one rotten hose / clamp, and from the sounds of it blocked off most of them making the primitive evap scenario defunct and just reinforced the return line setup with upgraded s/s braided line. I'm paraphrasing their explanation to me.

There is nothing primitive about the evaporative recovery system, these systems are still in use on modern automotive production. If the vent lines (1/4” & 5/16” id hoses) have been blocked-off, an alternative tank vent will need to be provided. A vented filler cap can’t be used due to the low level of the filler neck. If the fuel tank vapor separator in the left wheel well in intact, there is no reason to disable it, just replace the degraded hoses if that was the leak issue. If it still leaks, likely it has cracked solder joint where the hard line passes through the tank, can be repaired easily or replace the tank.

Last edited:
Understandable. I believe one of the hoses was and still is acting as a vent.

So you have a standard fuel tank with standard rubber hoses going to a pump & filter with braided lines from there to the Sniper?

The entire fuel line from the tank, and the tank should be capable of handling the extra pressure - as extra flow from the tank with result in more fuel and an increase in pressure on those old style rubber hoses. The Sniper runs higher flow than standard systems, and the return line sends the excess back to the tank. I think your 'shop' needs to take another look at what they did for you.

Auto Transport Service
Back