• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Line to Gas Tank Connections

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping the forum can help educate me with fuel line connections to the gas tank.

All tanks I have seen have flexible (typically rubber) lines that connect the fuel tank to the fuel line that runs up to the engine compartment. The question is why?

As I am plumbing my new Fuel Injected tank, why can't I use hard line connected all the way from the tank to the engine compartment? The tank is fixed to the body and does not move, and so is the fuel line.

Appreciate any insight folks may have...

Thanks,

Hawk

Will agree with the vibration aspect. But would think the ground strap from tank to fuel line would naygat static electricity theory.

Yeah, not sure about static electricity since the tank is grounded either way.

And I guess the rubber lines must be due to vibration, but what the heck can vibrate??? The tank is pretty well bolted down and it doesn't seem like it can move much. So I am wondering if I make a loop in the steel line to handle some vibration - do you think it would work OK?

If I have to put flexible lines in, the FI capable lines will cost about $100, so I am just trying to (safely) cut some costs...

Thanks!,

Hawk

I just done fuel line last weekend im not running FI but have electric fuel pump,,, I used 3/8 stainless, and rubber at tank,,, I was thinking like you , why rubber ? I dont see why you couldnt hard pipe , why would it cost so much for FI hose , ? Could you use steel braded hose,,, I do know you can get rubber at 150 psi all the way to 300 psi rubber,

For fuel injection, it is the AN (I am using 6AN) fittings that are killers. 90* ends cost almost $18 EACH. So for two sets of lines you have $72 just in fittings. The hose runs like $20 for a 3' length. I guess in this case I only need one hose and straight fittings, so the cost shouldn't be quite so high.

I guess I should quit complaining and just bite the bullet.... :tied up:

I see, you going to bit the bullet,,, damit man im going to have to sale bullets or guns,,, somtimes I have to sale toys to buy toys,,,,,,,,, good luck

I see, you going to bit the bullet,,, damit man im going to have to sale bullets or guns,,, somtimes I have to sale toys to buy toys,,,,,,,,, good luck

LOL, I hear you! I am already way over budget on my build, but I guess that should have been expected!

Wonder if I can get anything for the mangy cat that happens to be sitting on my lap right now... :icon_rolleyes:

It may have something to do with the body flexing. Maybe that's why they designed a rubber connection to the engine and the tank with steel in between for durability.

Can you take off and put back on a gas tank in the very exact place every time? It needs some give and take. I will be using nylon GM style gas lines and connectors at the gas tank for a fuel injection setup with the hardline in-between. I did have to buy a very good flaring tool for the hardline connections.

Can you take off and put back on a gas tank in the very exact place every time? It needs some give and take. I will be using nylon GM style gas lines and connectors at the gas tank for a fuel injection setup with the hardline in-between. I did have to buy a very good flaring tool for the hardline connections.

Good point as well.

As long as we're giving opinions....I think that it would be fine to run the hardline all the way to the tank if, as you said, you install a couple of turns in the line before connecting to the tank. That would take care of the vibration aspect as well as the expansion and contraction of the tank. No need for a ground strap, as the line itself would accomplish that. After installation, check the sending unit ground with an ohmmeter to make sure.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Once the body is back and I get a chance to mount the tank I will play around with placement. I have flexible lines for the engine since that moves a lot, but I will wait and see how the whole tank area seems to work out. If my front-to-rear hard lines aren't long enough to reach the tank connections (with some coiled line) then I might as well just buy some flexible line and be done with it.

Hopefully I get the car back very soon and can start messing with it...

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back