• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump..... again!!!

Just a note,the push rod should be 3.220.
Finally pulled in apart, the rod looked really good but measured 3.165", don't know that 055" will make much difference?

Up and running again with an Edelbrock pump. Sucks having to buy another mech pump when I'll be switching to electric but having it stuck in a garage that's under construction isn't an option.

Think I've settled on this setup for 5 reasons.
#1 In tank means quieter.
#2 In tank also means cooler.
#3 Clean installation with it all in 1 place.
#4 Very reputable brand
#5 Pump replacement is fairly inexpensive.
Screenshot_20170205-171403.png
Screenshot_20170205-171346.png
Screenshot_20170205-171325.png

the rod being short could cause it to beat the sh-t out of the pump lever. maybe :)

there is not room for that elec pump on a Charger tank!!!

When I go EFI, I am getting a Tanks Inc EFI tank.it has a step down where the pump goes to clear the trunk floor

When I go EFI, I am getting a Tanks Inc EFI tank.it has a step down where the pump goes to clear the trunk floor

I have just fitted a Tanks Inc tank to my car, it is a really nice set-up. In saying that, I also liked the look of the aeromotive phantom pump too, I just couldn't be bothered doing the cut and tuck on my old tank. It really depends on if you want to spend the money on a new tank or save a little cash and do the cut and tuck.

there is not room for that elec pump on a Charger tank!!!
Sorry I didn't catch this reply until now... Your right after posting that I put the Charger up on the lift and thought HOW?? They said it would fit but I'm not seeing it with the tank against the floor. Back to the drawing board. My biggest concern is reliability and if coarse cost, I'm not by any means wealthy and would like to be able to afford to keep a spare in the trunk. An OEM pump out of a newer car would be great seeing how they seam to last 100,000 miles or better. Thinking about frame mounted again.

I've got a brand new tank so if I go this route I'll modify it.
WELL, last week got on I-10 west to make a high speed blast & monitoring the air fuel ratio, came home pulled into the garage,pulled the front fuel bowl to change jets & power valve, put it all back together & the car would not start, NOT getting fuel, pulled the pump & pump rod, was worn .030 in 500 miles,took the supposed American made edelbrock pump apart & it looks like the E10 fuel ate up the rubber inside. So now I ordered a new set up, ground up metal in the new engine is VERY upsetting GRRRRRRRRRR.

efitank.jpg

That really stinks, all for this wonderful fuel!

WELL, last week got on I-10 west to make a high speed blast & monitoring the air fuel ratio, came home pulled into the garage,pulled the front fuel bowl to change jets & power valve, put it all back together & the car would not start, NOT getting fuel, pulled the pump & pump rod, was worn .030 in 500 miles,took the supposed American made edelbrock pump apart & it looks like the E10 fuel ate up the rubber inside. So now I ordered a new set up, ground up metal in the new engine is VERY upsetting GRRRRRRRRRR.

View attachment 411699

Well,the E10 didn't eat .030 off the push rod !!

Wadded up rubber is HELL to compress.

Last edited:
I did not say that smarts *** !!!!
I wasn't being a smart ***,I was referring to the fact that there may be more than one problem,if there is .030 off the push rod,the pump or E10 didn't cause that.

I wasn't being a smart ***,I was referring to the fact that there may be more than one problem,if there is .030 off the push rod,the pump or E10 didn't cause that.
There seems to be many fuel pump pushrod failure reports on here & other sites I am on, people blame low zinc oil, but most that fail including me ,run high zinc oil,so what is the REAL cause ?? I am sorry for the snappy comment to you, but my next comment is said with humor
If I take back my smarts *** comment does that make you a dumb *** :)

quickfuel mechanical and mancini pushrods are a nice combo. Yeah the pump is $125, but you get what you pay for. I avoid edelbrock and carter pumps. I had an edelbrock flood my crankcase through the diaphragm and replaced two carters before settling on the QF.

Putting in a Carter electric pump and return line was my ticket out of massive vapor lock problems (even in moderately warm weather) and thrashing my starter to fill empty fuel bowls when car not driven for a while. I could not go back to a mechanical pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back