• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump push rod wear

moparcanuck

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
After my car quit close to home. It had quit on me a few times in the same way but I was able to restart it after much coaxing. But tis time, it would not start. Lots of spark but no fuel. I narrowed the problem down to the fuel pump.

After I pulled the fuel pump, I decided to check the push rod. Good thing I did. It turned out to have a lot of wear on it and was about 3/8" shorter than it should be. I popped in a new push rod and that solved the problem.

IMG_2214.jpg

You and me both. I just did this a few weeks ago, I took the added caution to change the oil and filter since the rest of the pushrod had to go somewhere.

This didn't happen overnight or break off. It's been worn down over 45 years.

I have had this happen. Might want to keep a spare in the glove box just in case.

This new oil let them wear out! Low sulfur, water based (LOL)junk. Your cams are next. Then the rocker arms,and push rods.

Where did you get the replacement? Mine is ancient and original. I need to check it.

This is why you need to use a good oil.... Not off the shelf stuff from Walmart or Autozone either! Penn Grade oil is an excellent choice to prevent these things from happening.... The 45 yr old engine didn't start wearing your push rod to that point until the oil changed......
The alternative to purchasing "GOOD" oil, is putting a roller cam setup in your engine, and throw the fuel pump pushrod away and use an electric fuel pump....
I think the oil is cheaper!

Same thing happend to me on a fresh rebuild. I was getting a knocking sound off the fuel pump. It was not the oil, used Brad Penn high zinc. The problem was with the push rod and/or cam. One or both was not hardened properly when manufactured. Make sure you get a hardened steel pushrod, got mine from Hughs Engines, not some chinese crap. Comp Cams replaced the cam as there was wear on the pushrod eccentric. All of the cam lobes and lifters were ok.

rod wear is a common problem even before the new oils came out...everyone always rebuilds the engines, but usually always put the old pump rod back in....

new ones are even available at NAPA, eBay, Mancini, they are easy to find

I have 3 here as spares...normal length is 3.25"

Auto Transport Service
Back