• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Pump Rebuild

Virg464

Local time
8:57 PM
Reaction score
Rebuilding my elec fuel pump, an older Mallory unit (series 140). I haven't had any issues but I do have a couple questions.

1. When you put things back together, do you coat the pump internal working parts (pic 1) with anything, some type of lube? It seems to me that the steel pump parts spinning around in the aluminum housing could be a problem until the system is full of fuel?

2. Anybody have a good way to take out that tiny little seal (pic 2), for the elec motor shaft? Ain't a lot of room to work with, and the only seal puller I have wont fit!

Fuel Pump 01.jpg

Fuel Pump 02.jpg

IMO.....the bearing and seal on the long end have a manufacture's part numbers on the individual part.....in small alpha-numeric characters.....use a magnifying glass to see them. If NAPA can't source them, any industrial power transmission supply house.....like Bearings Inc or Motion Industries can provide. The brushes on the commutator end are the wear item......McMaster-Carr could supply.....they are on line......depending on $$$...it may be cheaper to replace the pump.......just a thought......
BOB RENTON

The pumps rotors need to be lubricated. I would coat them in ATF.

IMO.....the bearing and seal on the long end have a manufacture's part numbers on the individual part.....in small alpha-numeric characters.....use a magnifying glass to see them. If NAPA can't source them, any industrial power transmission supply house.....like Bearings Inc or Motion Industries can provide. The brushes on the commutator end are the wear item......McMaster-Carr could supply.....they are on line......depending on $$$...it may be cheaper to replace the pump.......just a thought......
BOB RENTON
The rebuild kit came with all new parts, gasket/bearing/brushes/elec leads... and that that tiny little seal, that I'm trying to figure out how to get out of that pocket they stuck it in. My hope is that someone has a trick setup/technique they use, that I can replicate, so I dont have to start digging at it and prying it out piece by piece.

The rebuild kit came with all new parts, gasket/bearing/brushes/elec leads... and that that tiny little seal, that I'm trying to figure out how to get out of that pocket they stuck it in. My hope is that someone has a trick setup/technique they use, that I can replicate, so I dont have to start digging at it and prying it out piece by piece.
Oh, the reason I went this route is the rebuild kit was only $21. So, hopefully that seal doesn't make up the difference with a huge frustration factor.

Well, reinstalled the pump and works great. Had to pull the seal the old fashion way, small pin punch and a 6 oz ball/peen hammer from the other side.

Thanks "PNORA" for the "ATF" tip, worked great.

If you get a good pump like a Carter 4600, they do not have a seal. No seal to fail when you are out driving....

Auto Transport Service
Back