• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump

tom jaffeux

Local time
12:55 AM
Reaction score
Good morning all
Like to know if you can run a mechanical and electric fuel pump together it’s a street car been have issues with vapor lock and when the car sets a week or so it takes a long time getting fuel back up to the carb
Thanks for any information

Sure. Add a switch and run it for a few seconds to prime things up when needed. Might want to consider a return line if you don't have one to help with the vapor lock.

Ok that sounds great what fuel pump do you recommend
Thanks Tom

There's a part number on one. These small pumps will allow gas to pass through when they aren't running so they can be used for a charge pump. Summit has pumps. You could probably get a universal pump at a local parts store.

fuel pump.jpg

fuel priming pump.jpg

So I can hook these pump up Directly to my fuel line at the tank that goes to the carb
Tom

So I can hook these pump up Directly to my fuel line at the tank that goes to the carb
Tom
Yes. They are designed to push the fuel so they need to be by the tank.

I was just looking on Summit's site. Holley and edelbrock both have small pumps that would be perfect for what you need. They are also low pressure but that doesn't matter because you won't be running it constantly. Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Think I am going with this one what do you think?

Edelbrock Universal Micro Electric Fuel Pumps 17301​

Should work well. Get yourself a momentary contact switch and a fuse holder, wire, connectors, and you're set. Make sure you check the fuel pressure at the carb. 5# or less.

Although I totally agree with everyone's advice with the electric fuel pump, are you absolutely sure you have a vapor lock symptom and not other contributing factors such as a worn fuel pump pushrod (bb), hose clamps that aren't fully tightened, pickup sock in tank partially clogged, fuel filter needing replacement? I have a totally stock 440 with the vapor separator, and get quick hot restarts along with very reasonable cold starts even after sitting a few weeks. Also agree with T2R9 re: running a return line.

Although I totally agree with everyone's advice with the electric fuel pump, are you absolutely sure you have a vapor lock symptom and not other contributing factors such as a worn fuel pump pushrod (bb), hose clamps that aren't fully tightened, pickup sock in tank partially clogged, fuel filter needing replacement? I have a totally stock 440 with the vapor separator, and get quick hot restarts along with very reasonable cold starts even after sitting a few weeks. Also agree with T2R9 re: running a return line.
What carb are you running? Carter/Edelbrock carbs seem more susceptible. Any insulator gaskets used? A return fuel system works great for vapor lock while it's running but it won't do much for fuel evaporation when the engine is off.

What carb are you running? Carter/Edelbrock carbs seem more susceptible. Any insulator gaskets used? A return fuel system works great for vapor lock while it's running but it won't do much for fuel evaporation when the engine is off.
I run both the original restored 4429 and a 1905 with a 1/4" phenolic spacer. Before the full rebuild I had a very difficult starting condition both hot and cold, and discovered the original pump pushrod was sigificantly shorter than 3.22". That was just one of a list of things that needed correction.

electric fuel pump is a band aid solution
the car has high underhood temps, fix the temperature issue under the hood, make sure the fuel lines are routed correctly and there will be no vapor lock

I had issues with my 65 Coronet 318, alcohol gas evaporated from the float bowl after 2 days so I used a Carter electric pump. Depending on days sitting I hold the momentary switch to a 6-8 count, pump throttle twice-slowly, and she starts right up.
Mike
IMG_2495.JPG

MY biggest issue is not vapor lock only time I have that issue is when I drive it 2hours nonstop around town drive no issues I just don’t like when it sits over a week I have to crank over a minute it seem to get it start after that it starts right up. I saw a video of Nick’s Garage where he installed one but had very little details
Thanks for all the information I have got

MY biggest issue is not vapor lock only time I have that issue is when I drive it 2hours nonstop around town drive no issues I just don’t like when it sits over a week I have to crank over a minute it seem to get it start after that it starts right up. I saw a video of Nick’s Garage where he installed one but had very little details
Thanks for all the information I have got
Check your fuel system from carb back. If it takes an unusually long amount of cranking time to get fuel to the carb there could be other issues that need addressing. Also, is your choke properly set?

Might also look into a one way valve in the fuel line, you can get them stupid cheap, and no wiring.

My GTX needed a new gas tank, rewired, on top of a bunch of things, so I figured might as well go tanks inc with an electric pump in the take, turn the key to accessory for a couple seconds, it’s ready to go no matter the temperature.

My Lil Red Express is a survivor, so I didn’t want to mess with anything, but I have issues with it starting if it sits too long. I just installed the one way valve yesterday, today it seemed to work, idk about a few days of sitting yet. But $5 and a couple of hose clamps. :thumbsup:

In one of the reviews they said it puts out 10.5 psi and requires a regulator. A non issue for what you need it for, but if your mechanical pump ever goes out and you rely on this pump to get you home, it may over power the needle and seat in your carb and cause flooding.

You know its not always a bad thing to have to crank a bit before firing, helps bring the oil pressure up before firing,
mine does it if sitting about the same amount of time.
I just do 2 small cranks about 5 seconds each, hit the acc pedal for the auto choke and third crank she fires.

Auto Transport Service
Back