• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel System Upgrades

ksurfer2

Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
Current set up....512inch motor. Dual Eddy 1407 carbs on a crossram intake. 10.5:1 compression. Running 110octane fuel.

Fuel system consists of a Aeromotive SS Series Fuel Pump, Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator set to 6psi. The fuel supply deadheads at the regulator.

Can I improve the performance and reliability of the system by adding a fuel pump controller and also by adding a return line to the system.

Are you having performance or reliability issues now?

In my opinion, adding the return to my fuel system (I have my 500 inch motor fuel injected) has done wonders with respect to eliminating any vapor lock issues. Even if I built a carbureted car I would likely do this again to avoid any issues with vapor lock.

Having said the above, if you haven't had any vapor lock issues I would leave it alone.

Hawk

I think your pump will live longer with the controller but, for the cost of the controller a new pump may be a more cost effective choice. It is a crap shoot on life expectancy!
Mike

No and yes. The fuel pump itself should act as a controller. It does not always work at max pressure. Adding a return line in my opinion is the correct way to set up your fuel system. As previously said if its not broke don't fix it is certainty valid but a return line does have advantages: pressure will be more steady, vapor lock issues are reduced substantially, fuel is cooler, fuel pump pressure is more uniform throughout the rpm range of the engine. Fuel pressure is better regulated by how much fuel is returned, not by how much fuel is demanded. This is why you should use a larger return line than a supply line.
Frank

Auto Transport Service
Back