• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank questions

Thanks for the insight. I will install the tank first and then the tailpipe exhaust. I also received the new grommet yesterday, so I will install this weekend. I painted the tank with a stainless paint and I had planned to put undercoating on the bottom side, just like it came originally. When I get it in I'll post some photos. Thnaks to All of thr Forum members who responded to my questions.
Is the new vent grommet different than the other grommet? Pictures please.

One other tip, measure your original hoses. The replacements were all too long and especially with the vent hose, because it butts up against the frame rail, it can make it hard to get the tank centered correctly. I had to cut mine in place, which was no fun.
Yesterday I installed my gas tank with the new hoses. The vent hose clamp was a pain to crimp and I have the correct plier to crimp the clamp. The problem was the handles on the plier are too long and I was unable to open up the pliers wide enough to a get a grip on the clamp to crimp. I tried for a least 30 minutes so I finally grabbed another plier that has 90 degree bend on the end to get the clamp crimped. The filler tube was a lso difficult to get into the new rubber grommet after I installed the vent tube. After another struggle for 30-40 minutes, I cut the vent tube clamp off, removed the vent hose, dropped the tank and removed the filler grommet. I compared it to my old one and could see that the new grommet appeared to have a slight angle on the one side which I assumed was to face out so the filler pipe would slide in better. Sure enough, I re-installed the tank, vent tube, new vent tube crimped clamp and the filler tube slid right in. Royal pain in the butt, something that should be a fairly easy installation was really frustrasting to install. And I have my car on a lift, so I'm not laying on my back. It was still a lot of work.

Is the new vent grommet different than the other grommet? Pictures please.

Yesterday I installed the vent tube grommet. The grommet I purchased from Classic Industries was exactly the same as the OEM Chrysler grommet I purchased from a fellow Forum member. I measured the tank opening and carefully pryed the lips of the opening just a fraction to get the vent grommet in. It did not go in easily and it was a very tight fit.

The secret with those grommets is to lube them with something like dialectric grease in and out. They pop into the tank hole easier, and the fill tube slides right in.

Yesterday I installed the vent tube grommet. The grommet I purchased from Classic Industries was exactly the same as the OEM Chrysler grommet I purchased from a fellow Forum member. I measured the tank opening and carefully pryed the lips of the opening just a fraction to get the vent grommet in. It did not go in easily and it was a very tight fit.
Wow never would think it would be possible. Thanks!

I finally got the seats back in and took the car for a short drive to the gas station. It turns out my gas can holds 6 US gallons (22 litres), so I had actually put in 12 gallons so far. The gauge was reading just over half. It took about 7 gallons (28 litres)to fill it and the gauge read full. I put it up on the lift when I got home and no leaks. Success!

IMG_20220605_150330220_HDR.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back