• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank rubber elbow

olddog67

Local time
8:59 PM
Reaction score
When I was removing the gas tank I tore the 90 degree elbow that is near the filler close to the fuel cap.
Where can I get another or anyone know of one that is similar I can modify to work?

I bought mine on E-bay.
But someone here complained that they don't last long, could be ethanol in the gas.
I try to run E-Free only.

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=158-FTEAG
For the longest time back in 2004-5, these were on back order everywhere. The guy where I took my car to is a knowledgeable guy and said it looked like a Chevy radiator hose. I'm sorry, I do not remember which exactly but it looked exactly the same only longer. So he purchased it, installed it and it was on the car for several years with out any problem. We thought anti-freeze is as corrosive as gas so it wouldn't be an issue. After about 5 years I did finally replace it but not because I had to but I needed the other smaller hoses which came in the kit so we replaced them all.
I only tell this story so in case you can't find one here is an option.
Take the old one to the parts store and match it up, just sayin'.

I need to get a new fuel tank and related hoses. Might as well get the float too. Any suggestions on where to get a good reproductions. I think the original tank was zinc coated -- I'm not sure. What was the original coated with --- Niterne or zinc?

Last edited:
IMG_20190401_112305674.jpg
I got mine from Year One

View attachment 749191 I got mine from Year One
Inner fuel tube to tank gasket failure. How did your YearOne set up work? I gotta feeling there might have been some earlier body damage that changed the geometry to the fillers, both inner and outer. Thinking I might as well change out the inner, outer, rubber connectors as well as a new gasket.

Any tips on mounting the inner to the new gasket so it makes a lasting seal?

It was pretty straight forward although I did have one problem that we attribute to our own failure
The seal at the tank leaked. Now we used the updated double seal but we originally installed it backwards
and had to pull everything apart and turn it around. We believe we damged the seal during that process
So when we placed the new seal we used petroleum jelly on the inside to lubricate as the filler tube went in
This solved all of the problems, in fact when I had the new exhaust put on the car last week I checked it
It looked wet and I stuck my finger to it. It was the petroleum jelly on the outside of the seal and not gas
Should have wiped it off better

Hmmm.... Dang thing is that i did have the upgraded seal on it, but it was still leaking like a sieve.

Not sure what to tell you there. I had no issues that weren't of my own making
However if memory serves me right (and that's not so sure these days)
While researching/obsessing over my tank part of the build, I think I recall reading about a few cars that had an off size tube (smaller) from the factory
I don't remember where I read it though
Perhaps some one else in this group is familiar

I'm going to need a new tank -- any suggestions?

Mine came from YearOne
They were reasonably priced and I could get all the seals & rubber there to do the filler tube and vent tube

Auto Transport Service
Back