• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Tanks

cmkryzer

Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
I was going to clean up and reuse my fuel tank out of my 1967 GTX, but has been sitting idle for 20 plus years with some gas still in it, not a pretty site, plus a pretty decent dent in it that I do not remember. But anyways, my question is, what are people doing with them? Are you leaving them as is , or , as what I took out, it had a under coating on it. Other option I though I heard of was the zinc coating you can paint on it, but not sure bout that.

I just replaced mine, had pin holes, not worth fixing.

Pin holes (if not too many) are fixed permanently by forcing epoxy into the hole, followed by a pan-head sheet metal screw, with a wee bit more epoxy over that.

Sounds exactly like mine was. I had removed the old fuel and dropped the tank last fall. I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Earlier this year I decided I'm just going to get the car (65 Coronet) road worthy and work on it while enjoying driving it. The inside of my tank was surprisingly, very clean. I checked it for leaks and it was fine. My brother aired the tank and it popped the dent, maybe a little too much. I cleaned up the trunk floor above the tank and re-installed the tank. I may replace it at some point, just haven't decided on the direction I want to evenly go. Also, I believe 521 restorations has 1/2 sending unit and stainless fuel line if you need a little more flow and keep the stock tank.

IMG_20160708_165050995.jpg

I reused the stock one but I sumped it. I wanted to keep the trunk.

I am actively searching for a NOS tank for my 69 GTX...The welding around the perimeter of the tank is unique to the originals.
Quanta is the only one that is close but not correct in welding but correct in finish...

I considered of taking a nice used tank and restore it, dents are not an issue. I know of a place that will cut a section under the tank pad out to gain access for dent removal and then weld it up.....The main crux here is getting the tank zinc plated a place here in dallas will do it for 450.00 and they have to drill holes in the top under the pad so it can drain etc....by the time dealing with all that along with the cost incurred. It is cheaper to buy an NOS one, if you can find one, lol.....

The big restorers are using quanta or the one from 521 restorations....

Auto Transport Service
Back