• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tanks Inc Fuel tank baffles

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
So, years ago when I installed my first Tanks Inc fuel tank I took photos of the baffles planning to post it for those who might be interested... And forgot all about it.... Earlier today I stumbled across the photos & thought someone might still be interested.. So...

thumbnail_IMG_1975.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1976.jpg

That "bathtub" is an interesting concept to supply fuel for the pump.

it is so there is to keep fuel at the strainer notice the small holes in each corner so the fuel cant run away to fast when low.

I know of at least one instance that the smll holes wouldn't allow the resivoir to fill fast enough under load. The turbo Duster project has one of these tanks We are going to drop it out and take a look. The other isse we came acrossis that a -8 won't fit he outletat the sender w/o an adapter. Also based on a friends Turbo A body with the same tank. The return fitting is to restrictive. I drilled a hole in the sender and installed a full flow 90 degree fitting and internal drop tube for the return.
Doug

20221117_174515.jpg

I know of at least one instance that the smll holes wouldn't allow the resivoir to fill fast enough under load. The turbo Duster project has one of these tanks We are going to drop it out and take a look. The other isse we came acrossis that a -8 won't fit he outletat the sender w/o an adapter. Also based on a friends Turbo A body with the same tank. The return fitting is to restrictive. I drilled a hole in the sender and installed a full flow 90 degree fitting and internal drop tube for the return.
Doug

View attachment 1583746
i could see that on a performance set up i think you could remove part of it if it is race only.

Guy I know had a ton of problems with a 55 Chevy w/LS at the track. Turned out to be the sump deal in the Tanks, Inc. tank running out of fuel at top end of track. I have one in my efi 55 but it's just a 400hp street car.

Doug

View attachment 1583746
I'm formulating a change on their sender too, ahead of time for me as I don't have tank/pump unit yet. Its 1/4" pipe which is a little small already, to me should be 3/8" or even better 1/2",but when you put fittings in you put more restriction in to an already questionable size orifice. Probably picking fly **** out of pepper but when you have a restriction right from the get go, its not going to matter how big of a line you run after that restriction to try and feed the engine. Add onto that the set size coming off the pump. On top of that you have a hard 90* transition as opposed to a flow 90*. Anyway, thats what I've been tossing around in my mind. On the basket/baffles, one of the posters on Moparts mentioned Tanks did an update/change so it does a better job of keeping fuel around the pump under hard acceleration.

That "bathtub" is an interesting concept to supply fuel for the pump.

It doesn't work great on a good launch/sticky surface.

I added a couple of extra baffles to the "bathtub" on mine for that reason.

Also shimmed down the front of the tank as the lowest point of the tank is the center (where the stock pickup would pull from).

Bathtub location is higher than the center, even on my car with half degree of rake.

I know of at least one instance that the smll holes wouldn't allow the resivoir to fill fast enough under load.
I think you'll find that the tank design pictured is for stock applications only, and not recommended for Race Purposes.

Well had a look at The Tanks A body unit. There are two 1/2" 8"-10" long tubes brazed into the reservoir feeding it. I deemed that good enough.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back