• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Galen Govier - No more orders

Lmao, I remember reading his story in his own words about how until like 1988 or something he had no clue about Chrysler products but then got curious and realized that there was a market for information he started learning all he could and is now where he is. Could have been any one of us I suppose but he is smart enough to recognize the value in the info and provide some sort of services for it so hats off to him for that. But not being sanctioned by Chrysler directly makes me think that all you are really paying for is some guys opinion, too me not worth much but hey what do i know i'm a newbie to this anyway.

I don't know about the rest of this story, but he was decoding build sheets and fender tags in the early '80s. Maybe it was '78 and not '88? In the early '80s he was doing it for free for MMCI members.

I don't know about the rest of this story, but he was decoding build sheets and fender tags in the early '80s. Maybe it was '78 and not '88? In the early '80s he was doing it for free for MMCI members.

since 1982 from his own site. http://www.galengovier.com/

Also from his own FAQ's page;

How did you get started?

A: In a nutshell, back in the early eighties I had questions about a 1969 Charger that no one else could answer, so when I did find the answers I became more knowledgeable on the subject. As time went by enthusiasts came to me for the answers. I was doing a column in a Car Club newsletter, then in 1988 I began writing "By the Numbers" in Mopar Muscle Magazine. I am very fluent in Mopar, and for many years I was referred to as "The Mopar Guru", a nickname pinned on me by Tom Quadrini, the past President of Northeast HEMI Owners Association.

Why do you charge for your services?

A: I started this business to help people with their Mopar problems; because there was no one else to turn to. Since April of 1990, this has been my only source of income. As many of you know, when you are self employed you work more then 40 hours per week. It does not stop at 5pm and you go home for the evening. I have gathered knowledge of the 1962-1974 (and newer) Mopar Musclecars since the early eighties as a hobby. In 1990, I wrote a pocket size Book on Chrysler Parts Identification. In time I got so busy I had to hire a Secretary to answer the telephone to do a lot of the extra stuff, and keep things running when I was on the road. I need to concentrate on decoding when I am at home. If I were not doing something to earn money, I would have to get a real job outside of Mopar stuff. Due to the large volume of mail that I receive, I realize there is a need for my services. Some people cannot understand why I charge for my services, I consider myself a "consultant" for Mopar Musclecars. I am recognized as an Expert Witness (in court) in 4 states, I have gone to court in several states and testified on someone’s behalf relating to Mopars.

Ok so he considers himself an expert, cool beans man. But what about Chrysler? do they consider you an expert? Do or will they acknowledge you as the non employee expert in the historical documents? What about the Chrysler historical society? http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Historical-Services.aspx

I find it interesting that they do not even mention you on their web site? indeed. You charge $100 an 1/2 hour for phone calls and any phone call related to court cases you charge twice that? Yes what a racket indeed. It paid your bills for awhile but then you had to get a real job now that you have all this "knowledge".

His new job;

http://www.mpclassic.com/contact/index.asp

Can't help but wonder how many of those recent sales of mopars were over inflated by you? lol j/k

With all the resources available today people can decode there own cars now..I do it for buddy's for free all the time. No one needs to pay him or anyone else for anything really.

Well I have to ask first, does anyone know of anywhere I can get the fender tag reproduced? I have all the info and build card on my Plymouth but I was ripped off by Galen over 10 years ago for $181 and I received absolutely nothing but excuses. I called, mailed, emailed but he had my credit card number and hit it twice before I shut him down. What a rip off. So I'm still without the tag and still looking for someone to make on. Any help would be appreciated. No more GTS tag service for me.

Thanks for any advice on getting my tag reproduced.

Lisa

Lisa here is mine I had copied so as I can safely keep the original in my safe.
The tag on the bottom
is the tag done by Data tags.
Got it 12 months ago and it was $234
It's quite a close tag to the original with some evident flaws

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 480
I will say that without his work, most of the know-everythings in this hobby....would know nothing. He was the first guy to actually care enough to do this stuff as a service/business. He's always been slow[for my stuff also], and not the easiest guy to talk with[he's always had to be defensive or mobbed everywhere]. I've spent some time with him cruising Woodward and at important events. He was always polite, and definitely knew his stuff. I personally, wouldn't have ever tried to do what he's done, as too many cry-babies like to complain about everything, and everybody wants/wanted his "personal" attention. One guy.... with an enormous task. As for all the stories about him and his service....I only know what I've experienced. I've been doing this stuff since 72, and have watched this hobby turn into a monster.

I think the days of GTS have been over for quite some time now, with all the decoders online and the plethora of info that is easily accessible there was no need to pay for what you could get for free. I'm sure he made a good amount of money off several thousand people who wanted to know about there car. My question today would be just how valuable is that certificate he gave you? Does it add value to the car? In the 80's when he started the idea of it was great and all the hard work he put into creating the database for decoding is awesome no doubt. He is and will be always considered a pioneer in the mopar world, just in today's eyes his time has past.

First off gentlemen I want to thank all of you for your comments and help here. I must appologize that I didn't realize that this forum was this long and went back and read all the comments. Very interesting material.

Photon 440, thank you for the info on who could do this tag for me. I found that post and will pursue those leads. AG Backeast said he could do the tag but I needed to lay it out for him and I forget what it looked like but he is a wiling resource.

Then Mr. 1962 Polara, I have to thank you for the pictures and your thoughts. Between your '62 Dodge and my '65 Plymouth I'm guessing the tags, with regards to size and layout are identical. You said there were differences in the original and the new one and I didn't find it. But then again my car is truly not that special so little differences would not matter.

Here is what my car is. I have owned this car for 43 years. I drove it to high school. I remember my father bought it for me and it cost $372. I remember the first time I "burned rubber" in it and it was an eye opener. The engine had a chrome factory air cleaner and factory chrome valve covers that were covered in grease and dust but the car was a runner. When I finally got around to cleaning the engine and found the number "A426" the car got special. The car even has the little factory 426 hood orniment. But still back in the day it was just a B Body with a big engine in it. I've loved the car for years. The engine was overhauled with some special parts and I put a sixpak on it. It has a 727 and about 20 years ago I found a nice Dana 60 for the car and put a chrome cover on it so it looks special. The reality is this car is it's not valuable except for maybe some of the parts that are in it. I always thought it was worth more in parts then it was whole. I lost the tag being stupid about 25 years ago when the engine was out for repaint and the engine compartment was "repaired" from all the torturous things I did to it over the years like drilling holes and pounding the fender wells for more header clearance. I willfully took the tag off to "clean up" that engine compartment. I can't believe I didn't stick the tag in the car for storage but it's apparently gone. In these later years of my life I have thought that it would be nice for me to make the car whole again and to the Chrysler boys that fender tag means something. This is the reason I am pursuing this now. Even at this point in my life I can afford to replace the tag if I can get it done. Believe me, this tag will not make this car any more valuable but for me it would just be a nice touch that when I took it off I didn't realize the importance of having the paint number right there instead of digging in a file to find it. So there you have it.

Thank you guys for your continued help. I'll pursue your leads and wish me luck.

Best regards,

Lisa

P.S. It's not a Stage engine either. Just a 426 cuin. raised B. Simple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 433
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 409
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 436
If you want to get your money back here is where he works now.

http://masterpiecevintagecars.com/news/News_GalenGovier.asp

First off gentlemen I want to thank all of you for your comments and help here. I must appologize that I didn't realize that this forum was this long and went back and read all the comments. Very interesting material.

Photon 440, thank you for the info on who could do this tag for me. I found that post and will pursue those leads. AG Backeast said he could do the tag but I needed to lay it out for him and I forget what it looked like but he is a wiling resource.

Then Mr. 1962 Polara, I have to thank you for the pictures and your thoughts. Between your '62 Dodge and my '65 Plymouth I'm guessing the tags, with regards to size and layout are identical. You said there were differences in the original and the new one and I didn't find it. But then again my car is truly not that special so little differences would not matter.

Here is what my car is. I have owned this car for 43 years. I drove it to high school. I remember my father bought it for me and it cost $372. I remember the first time I "burned rubber" in it and it was an eye opener. The engine had a chrome factory air cleaner and factory chrome valve covers that were covered in grease and dust but the car was a runner. When I finally got around to cleaning the engine and found the number "A426" the car got special. The car even has the little factory 426 hood orniment. But still back in the day it was just a B Body with a big engine in it. I've loved the car for years. The engine was overhauled with some special parts and I put a sixpak on it. It has a 727 and about 20 years ago I found a nice Dana 60 for the car and put a chrome cover on it so it looks special. The reality is this car is it's not valuable except for maybe some of the parts that are in it. I always thought it was worth more in parts then it was whole. I lost the tag being stupid about 25 years ago when the engine was out for repaint and the engine compartment was "repaired" from all the torturous things I did to it over the years like drilling holes and pounding the fender wells for more header clearance. I willfully took the tag off to "clean up" that engine compartment. I can't believe I didn't stick the tag in the car for storage but it's apparently gone. In these later years of my life I have thought that it would be nice for me to make the car whole again and to the Chrysler boys that fender tag means something. This is the reason I am pursuing this now. Even at this point in my life I can afford to replace the tag if I can get it done. Believe me, this tag will not make this car any more valuable but for me it would just be a nice touch that when I took it off I didn't realize the importance of having the paint number right there instead of digging in a file to find it. So there you have it.

Thank you guys for your continued help. I'll pursue your leads and wish me luck.

Best regards,

Lisa

P.S. It's not a Stage engine either. Just a 426 cuin. raised B. Simple.

I spoke with GTS services and they flat out said Galen IS doing the work again.
so, you can get your stuff from GTS
Also try MMC Detroit data Tags (MMC Detroit)

I spoke with GTS services and they flat out said Galen IS doing the work again.
so, you can get your stuff from GTS
Also try MMC Detroit data Tags (MMC Detroit)

Galen already ripped me off for $181 and I have absolutely nothing to show for it. So he's off the list.
A.G. Backeast and I had a wonderful conversation but this fee is too stiff for me at $275. The little tag is just not worth that to me as the car is no where original enough to have to be validated with the tag. But I sincerely thank all you men for taking your time to help with the information. I know a lot more about the little tags then I did before

Regards,

Lisa

Is AG MMC Detroit/Chrysler historical services?

About February of this year I contacted GTS and spoke with the spokesperson, she seemed quite "customer service oriented"

ms lisa j, I am so sorry you have had a "Bad time" with GTS
I personally would call/e-mail and tell them your issue.

So sorry someone in this hobby has not fulfilled their service obligation.

Well I appreciate your advice super-bee_ski but that was 11 years ago. I just have a bunch of old printed out email from them and the real mail from my credit card. I was truly scammed by them as they strung me along long enough to run out the time on my credit card. I'm certainly not going to spend any more money with them. IF he did get the build card from Chrysler as he said he did he may have it in a file but I doubt that too. I just bury the file in my cabinet to remind me who they are. In fact I sent them a really nice request about a week ago and they never responded. This was before I resurrected the file on them. Their not interested in doing an business it seems to me.

Thanks again.

Lisa

This is on the GTS website right now (Current Data is Real Time correct)

Galen Govier Tag Services:

Please Note : We ARE currently taking orders! Also, the website is in the process of being revamped, so be patient with any missing or strange looking content. Thanks for your patience!

You need to remember GG started all this research BEFORE the Interwebz were a wet dream. I was one of the very first guys to have a tag decoded by him, all for the cost of a stamp. I was pretty pissed at him for a while, actually, after he refused to help my nephew with info on his AAR Cuda about a decade ago. Like mmisslie said above, there are a LOT of folks out there whose knowledge of tags and broadcast sheets derive in part from what GG has done in the past. The knowledge on the interwebz has pretty much replaced the need for "the guru" to personally bless one's car. Unfortunately, his current rep for not delivering on his advertised products has sullied his reputation a great deal.

BTW, the Marti Report (not "Marty") on Fords and the Pontiac Historical Society for Pontiacs are recognized by anyone with knowledge on both to be a desired and important bit of documentation for those cars, whether it be a 2.0L Pinto or a Boss 429, or a Astre to a Grand Prix with a 455.

$275 to $295 for a piece of stamped tin? Now that's the business to be in. Get a reputation like AG Backeast and you'll run everyone else out of the business. Galen Who? is so right!

Auto Transport Service
Back