• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GARAGE HEAT HELP

ok here is what is going on my tank is outside when i ordered fuel they asked me if my tank is outside i said yes they were suppose to put in some thing so it wouldnt freeze well it didnt work going to work on it monday and see what i have to do to fix it

Diesel fuel conditioner. Shouldn't be cold enough to be jelling and clogging your fuel filter yet unless someone left the lid off and you've got a lot of water in the fuel.

Open the bleed screw on the filter housing and see if it flows fuel..

I do body & paint in a 20x30 garage. My furnace stopped working & i have a 68 coronet i have to get painted. Any ideas ? Thanks
my cousin heats hos with a mr heater "big buddy heater _ on high it will just about run u out when u r spraing u may want to turn it off it dose have a open flame

This is what I use for a two car garage with an 11 1/2 foot ceiling. Does just fine controlling at 65 degrees. I can bump up to 70 degrees but then the meter starts to spin a little too much for my wallet. Only thing is that it is 220, other than that just plug and play. Got it at Menards but I see they switched brands now to the one below. Online price is $159.95
100_9153.JPG

EG5000DGP_A1-6354253-GHP.jpg

Yeah, just fix it. If you're uneasy with DIY, make the phone call.

FWIW...
I don't paint cars but I'm not fond of an open flame or glowing coils in my garage. That could be due to dads garage burning down way back.
My garage is only about 3600 cu ft, ceiling is 6" insulated, and a R13 rated 16 ft. door. I bought a 7500 watt Farenheat 4 or so years ago. It's wired for 6250 watts, corded, and hangs on a hook so I can move it if needed. It has no glowing coils and can keep temps at short sleeve easily when I want it. Lol, one good thing about a small garage. I probably only needed the 5000 watt model. Even those are running 300+ bucks right now. There may be other brands that heat similar. Dayton's model appears to be the same as Farenheat.
View attachment 1043053

I've got two, almost identical to this one, mounted in opposing corners. They work very well at heating my 3 car garage into the 60's on single digit temp days. Insulating the hell out of my garage helped too.

Not sure if you got this sorted or not but you might want to look at radiant heat, think patio heater... they run off propane and put off some decent heat. Another (similar) option is a ceiling propane heater, you can run it off of a wide variety of propane bottles (5 gal, 7 gal, etc.).

Not sure if you got this sorted or not but you might want to look at radiant heat, think patio heater... they run off propane and put off some decent heat. Another (similar) option is a ceiling propane heater, you can run it off of a wide variety of propane bottles (5 gal, 7 gal, etc.).
I don't know what the laws are in Washington, but here in North Carolina we are forbidden from burying propane tanks. I don't want that big ugly tank next to my house or shop.

I don't know what the laws are in Washington, but here in North Carolina we are forbidden from burying propane tanks. I don't want that big ugly tank next to my house or shop.

Not talking about burying a tank, I am talking about using smaller tanks (like a 30 or 40#) that you can tank and fill yourself and swap out as needed. This is what I am putting into my shop currently. Granted, you (I) will have to go and get propane but I only need heat about 4 months out of the year and I have a diesel space heater already in there which heats the shop quickly but I don't like to run it constantly (very loud).

I can absolutely guarantee you that WA laws far surpass anything NC has, I lived in NC for about 5 years, worked for a company in NC that required frequent visits there for over 12 years. WA is essentially CA north (or is really trying to be).

Also, I thought the OP was looking for something temporary until he could get his furnace fixed...

I can absolutely guarantee you that WA laws far surpass anything NC has, I lived in NC for about 5 years, worked for a company in NC that required frequent visits there for over 12 years. WA is essentially CA north (or is really trying to be).
:lol:

That sucks for you guys, because outside of Sea/Tac, Washington is a beautiful state.
When I was young, my dad had a "bullet heater" in the shop. It would keep the shop tolerable in the winter, but every now and then you had to go outside for some fresh air. :lol:

download (29).jpg

Last edited:
Yes it is a beautiful state but unfortunately politics are crushing it. If I could move I would but I have way too much crap plus I love my place with a 100 meter rifle range, two 40x60 shops, etc.

I have a modern version of that header (looks a lot like it actually) but the air quality thing is an issue although not a big one. My neighbor gave me a 90,000 btu propane ceiling hung heater that I am going to feed with portable tanks. The plan is to use the bullet heater to get it warm and the propane to keep it that way.

IMG_3203.jpg

Here is what I am dealing with currently for weather (71 Charger in one carport and a 70 RR in the other)

IMG_3222.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back