• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas smell - wifey no likey

Percolating gas into a hot manifold or any gas drip on a hot surface will set up a good stench in your garage that will last awhile. And it doesn’t take but a few drops on something really hot. Normal exhaust odor is not as intense or offensive to me but can take a couple of days to dissipate in my garage to where I can no longer smell it. I guess before catalytic converters we were so use to exhaust odors that we never gave it a second thought.

The Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 cleaned mine up. Still has normal exhaust, but the back panel stays clean, oil doesn’t smell like gas, and oil consumption is down. No more 6 times to the floor at start up time.

Another thing to consider is the carb itself; if it hasn't been overhauled in a while the seals can start failing and let fuel drip on to the intake. I had this happen and it was tough to pin down, because the warm intake evaporated the slight drips. There were never any puddles or signs of wetness but the smell was definitely there...much more noticeable than when things are right.

Momma don't want to ride with ya.. So, whats the problem? :lol:

Check for missing body plugs in the trunk and trunk extensions also trunk seal. If those are missing or leaking it could create a vacuum and suck exhaust fumes though those holes into the cab. Can smell like gas fumes.

I ALWAYS drive with the windows open, usually all of them. I have full replacement factory style exhaust, all newer rubber seals too. The car was restored in 2000 and always garaged. The rubber is soft and pliable still. However, I smell like exhaust on my clothing when I get out of my car. Kinda like sitting at the Teppan table at Benihana and smelling like cooking oil when you leave. I don't get it, but that's how it is. Is that normal?

I ALWAYS drive with the windows open, usually all of them. I have full replacement factory style exhaust, all newer rubber seals too. The car was restored in 2000 and always garaged. The rubber is soft and pliable still. However, I smell like exhaust on my clothing when I get out of my car. Kinda like sitting at the Teppan table at Benihana and smelling like cooking oil when you leave. I don't get it, but that's how it is. Is that normal?
Yes.. 50 years ago it was accepted.. Catalytic Convertors cleaned up exhaust allot, Fuel injection was also huge... Modern cars are so clean we've become very sensitive to smells that we use to hardly notice..

So far everyone commented, could be right, check your entire fuel system including the fuel lines, could have a pin hole leak, it's happened to me in the past. In addition the vent cap on the valve cover is just vented to atmosphere or do u have it plumbed into breather or exhaust, for the oil smell. Then again that's the manly smell of old mopar muscle!

Eat a big bowl of chili and wash it down with cheap beer and then take wifey for a spin. She won't be able to smell the gaaoline.

Don't forget to check the fuel pump. It could be leaking externally and evaporating quickly so you won't notice.

Go though the carb and also make sure you have enough initial timing. Not enough base timing can cause a incomplete burn at idle making for a really stinky car.

Thinking the same thing. Seems like a win-win.
Good for some, but my wife will go on extended driving trips. One trip was 17.45 hours, only stopping for food, bathroom and fuel. That was in a Ford diesel van. Not mine, 1200miles through the Rockies .
Some great times and some different opinions through the years.

Auto Transport Service
Back