• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gasket, gasket maker, or both?

Charger21

Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
I am putting my timing cover, water pump housing, water pump, and new oil pump on my 400. I have heard people suggest gaskets, gasket maker, or both together. I am leaning towards just gaskets after cleaning the surfaces very well. They have no significant scratches in the mating surfaces.

I would hate to have a significant leak and end up tearing it apart again. What do you use?

depending on the gasket
I use Hylomar it's removable and reusable
just a little- spray if you can find it
on the water pump clean your threads and do not over-torque hard washers if necessary - even an washers (the tight fitting smaller od ones)
just the pump or pump and housing?
why a new oil pump- they hardly ever go bad

I don’t generally use gaskets on stuff like that. Except for the oil pump ( use the gasket) Just a thin bead of black RTV works great for timing covers, water pumps, etc. Personal preference though.

I'm old school.. because it works! Gaskets and Aviation gasket sealer. Have zero faith in todays "RTV gasket in a tube" and have the leaking 3 year old vehicle rear axle covers to prove it.

plain paper works fine but tears if you have to take it apart whereas hylomar comes off clean
permatex- well no leaks but clean up next time is a PITA
depends on which silicone but I would not let any any where near an oil passage
I'd do the anarobic gasket maker first
people tend to use too much silicone
silicone swells with motor oil
gets slimey
etc

plain paper works fine but tears if you have to take it apart whereas hylomar comes off clean
permatex- well no leaks but clean up next time is a PITA
depends on which silicone but I would not let any any where near an oil passage
I'd do the anarobic gasket maker first
people tend to use too much silicone
silicone swells with motor oil
gets slimey
etc

I've always said that silicone is for rain gutters.

On thin gaskets I like Copper Coat.

I like the paper and Ultra Grey RTV. Here's why. When you have to remove a component the paper will tear allowing easy removal. The Ultra grey seals all. My engines do not leak a drop. But try to remove a component with just Ultra Grey, good luck. I nearly broke the top of my 2 piece Indy cross ram trying to pry it off.
Doug

depending on the gasket
I use Hylomar it's removable and reusable
just a little- spray if you can find it
on the water pump clean your threads and do not over-torque hard washers if necessary - even an washers (the tight fitting smaller od ones)
just the pump or pump and housing?
why a new oil pump- they hardly ever go bad
Replacing the oil pump because I have everything off that side of the engine with easy access and it is 45 years old. Looks to be in good shape but if I ever replace, now is the time.

Auto Transport Service
Back