• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen 2 Hemi

Pool Fixer

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
Hi there.. As I'm getting older, I feel the need to check off some bucket list items. I've always wanted a Hemi car. I'm not about to run out and spend the kind of money it takes to buy a whole hemi car so I'm toying with the idea of putting a gen2 hemi in my 68 charger. It's already got a 440 in it. I know it makes no financial sense as the 440 runs great and I can throw heads/cam at it and make great power. But... I want a hemi.

With that said, I'm not an engine builder and I'm not going to be sourcing a block/heads/parts and putting it together myself. I'd have to have someone build one for me. I don't know where to begin. I'm on Long Island NY so I'd like to use someone reasonably close... NY, NJ, CT,PA My performance goals are not lofty. 500hp on pump gas.

I don't care much what displacement it is as long as it can make 500hp easily. I'd rather have light weight so I'd prefer aluminum block and heads... or at minimum iron block and aluminum heads. I want to stuff this into the car, drive it.. change the oil, rinse and repeat.

I know the cash register on this deal will in the 30K neighborhood. I dont even know what to ask. last engine I had built is the 440 that's in the car now but that was 25 years ago. I was a kid and walked into a local place and got lucky the guy did a good job. I realize it makes no sense to do this but I want it.

4hemisonly, ray Barton, b3racing, there are others, just call and have them build what you want.

I've done what you want to do several times. It's not too difficult. Hemi and Schumacher mounts are the basics. When you get done it will be beautiful and you will love it.

I've done what you want to do several times. It's not too difficult. Hemi and Schumacher mounts are the basics. When you get done it will be beautiful and you will love it.
I was hoping to reuse my front accessory drive with power steering, 727 trans w/3.23 gears. I also have a qa1 tubular k member to put in. manual brake car so VC clearance should be ok. I also have a sniper efi I was hoping to reuse on a hemi single plane 4bbl. I forget, are distributors the same?

You can make 500HP with a stock 426er with a mild camshaft. May I suggest a 472 incher with aluminum heads and stock exhaust manifolds and convertor to work with your 3.23 gears. I built one like that for my 1966 Coronet 500 and it was just a great all around driver with lots of HP on tap.

Okay, lets address the vernacular...

1) Early Hemi, 331-354-392
2) 426 Hemi, 426 (obviously LOL)
3) Gen3 Hemi (5.7 & 6.1)

ps... anything identified by liters is gay :poke: :rofl:

Wait a minute, hold the phone here!
Is this the real Rick Seeman? I had no idea you'd joined our forum!
I've talked you up on here more than once and recommended your YT channel, sir.
Big fan. :thumbsup:

Wait a minute, hold the phone here!
Is this the real Rick Seeman? I had no idea you'd joined our forum!
I've talked you up on here more than once and recommended your YT channel, sir.
Big fan. :thumbsup:
Thank you and yes I've joined. We can get this guy where he's going. And thanks for watching.

I was hoping to reuse my front accessory drive with power steering, 727 trans w/3.23 gears. I also have a qa1 tubular k member to put in. manual brake car so VC clearance should be ok. I also have a sniper efi I was hoping to reuse on a hemi single plane 4bbl. I forget, are distributors the same?
The distributors are the same. There will be little things but nothing major. At the horsepower level you want you can use manifolds or headers. You can use your sniper. It will be a fun project.

Stroker cost the same as a stock stoke engine. I’d do a 4.250 stroke combo with a Chevy rod to keep the internal pickup. Edelbrock heads will be your best bang for the buck. Hemi’s need some compression to run decent so 10.5 range or even a little higher with an aluminum block. If I were to gamble and run a flat tappet I’d probably go with one of Barton’s cam and tool steel lifters. Sorry, not a cheep date. If I didn’t go that route it would be a roller. Hemi’s should have solid cams but, given what you want I suppose “cringe” a hyd roller would work. there’s no cheep valve gear and I’m not a fan of any used 50 year old hemi parts. Stage V for valve gear and top with intake of your choice. YES, is going to make way more than 500hp but, it’ll cost the same at the end anyway so why not.. do it right and forget about it. Nothing worse than having your hemi getting out run by an engine that’s 1/4 the cost.

IMG_1200.jpeg

Call Mike at HP Motors . he is fairly close to you and can build anything you want . If he wasnt almost 3000 miles away. I would turn him loose with mine right now.
He currently has a hemi in the works for a friend of mine for his 1970 Challenger

Mike Bonsanti in Morristown NJ who is "THE" guy in Jersey.
read down to Ed Cook's Roadrunner in this article
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2009/08/10-Second-Club/1860445.html
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-charger-rt/
he's not cheap but the only guy i would trust...he just did a laundry list of items on my 72 Roadrunner. He owns HP motors in Morristown.

Hi there.. As I'm getting older, I feel the need to check off some bucket list items. I've always wanted a Hemi car. I'm not about to run out and spend the kind of money it takes to buy a whole hemi car so I'm toying with the idea of putting a gen2 hemi in my 68 charger. It's already got a 440 in it. I know it makes no financial sense as the 440 runs great and I can throw heads/cam at it and make great power. But... I want a hemi.

With that said, I'm not an engine builder and I'm not going to be sourcing a block/heads/parts and putting it together myself. I'd have to have someone build one for me. I don't know where to begin. I'm on Long Island NY so I'd like to use someone reasonably close... NY, NJ, CT,PA My performance goals are not lofty. 500hp on pump gas.

I don't care much what displacement it is as long as it can make 500hp easily. I'd rather have light weight so I'd prefer aluminum block and heads... or at minimum iron block and aluminum heads. I want to stuff this into the car, drive it.. change the oil, rinse and repeat.

I know the cash register on this deal will in the 30K neighborhood. I dont even know what to ask. last engine I had built is the 440 that's in the car now but that was 25 years ago. I was a kid and walked into a local place and got lucky the guy did a good job. I realize it makes no sense to do this but I want it.
I raced one for 14 yrs. , know your pain , I want another one , but not in my finacial realm right now...
once you have hemi , u never get over it !!

You can make 500HP with a stock 426er with a mild camshaft. May I suggest a 472 incher with aluminum heads and stock exhaust manifolds and convertor to work with your 3.23 gears. I built one like that for my 1966 Coronet 500 and it was just a great all around driver with lots of HP on tap.
nhra refactord the 426 st hemi`s to 525 h.p. back in the day....

By all means post any decisions and results. There are plenty here with same desire with different B-body platforms.

And pics are also welcomed. Before and after.

Will you do anything to the car like swinging engines or would you like a one stop shop and just drop the car off?
The front of the engine is the same as the hemi,that should not be an issue.

7.18.17 019.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back