• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen 2 Hemi

Will you do anything to the car like swinging engines or would you like a one stop shop and just drop the car off?
The front of the engine is the same as the hemi,that should not be an issue.

View attachment 1594696
Yes I’ll install the engine. I swapped out the original 318/904 for the 440/727 that’s in it now. I draw the line at building the engine. Looking for a long block to show up at my door. I’ll take it from there

The parts are roughly $20,000. This doesn't include water pump, fuel pump, distributor, intake, carb, starter. There will be some freight, tax, labor to build etc. So your numbers are about right.

The parts are roughly $20,000. This doesn't include water pump, fuel pump, distributor, intake, carb, starter. There will be some freight, tax, labor to build etc. So your numbers are about right.
He's right. You are better off buying an assembled build. Pan to intake from a reputable builder.

"Reputable" is your decision.

I passed on a 540ci hemi because it had 6 runs on it from my very respectful head machinist guy. He told me you can't build this for less at $20k (that was asking price.)

I passed. But he maybe right? His Cuda ran 9.6 sec on pump gas with that setup.

Last edited:
I agree. Hemi's are worth every penny in just the satisfaction factor once done. I spent years gathering up all the parts to build mine, machine and make everything for it. As most, I was on a budget.
I have about $17,500 into my 528" of course far from stock, but that is with me doing it all myself and with the help of friends and co-workers. The deals we get being W.D. or better from most places and being able to stay after work to machine whatever I need is the only reason I can afford to stay in this hobby anymore these days.

rsz_20160414_201144.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

I'm glad I'm close. I contemplated trying to source my own block, heads, valvetrain, etc... but I own a business and I know how I feel when a customer comes running out of the house with an amazon box wanting me to install their parts on thier pool.
I have about $17,500 into my 528" of course far from stock, but that is with me doing it all myself and with the help of friends and co-workers. The deals we get being W.D. or better from most places and being able to stay after work to machine whatever I need is the only reason I can afford to stay in this hobby anymore these days.
I have zero connections anywhere. just a guy off the street. I'm a somewhat educated consumer but someone could easily take advantage of me. With that said, it's worth it to me to go with one of more well known builders but I don't even know which one which is why I started this. thanks for all the replies.

I consider Ray Barton to be the best. The problem is every time I talk to him, and when I went to see him last spring, he's 50 hemis behind. 50. It doesn't take a calculus major to figure out it would take some time for him to build an engine for you. I couldn't build 50 hemis in a decade. Plus we have the supply chain issues. He prefers Stage V heads and that guy died. The loss of Stage V will hurt us all. FHO said he has bought Stage V but no doubt it will take a long time for him to get it going and I don't know what parts he is going to make. Don't let all of this discourage you. You will get where you're going. It's just going to be harder than 9 months ago.

I consider Ray Barton to be the best. The problem is every time I talk to him, and when I went to see him last spring, he's 50 hemis behind. 50. It doesn't take a calculus major to figure out it would take some time for him to build an engine for you. I couldn't build 50 hemis in a decade. Plus we have the supply chain issues. He prefers Stage V heads and that guy died. The loss of Stage V will hurt us all. FHO said he has bought Stage V but no doubt it will take a long time for him to get it going and I don't know what parts he is going to make. Don't let all of this discourage you. You will get where you're going. It's just going to be harder than 9 months ago.
Im in no rush. I’d like to start build on the engine now, install it a year from now. I do pools in the NE so I’ve been using my winters for car work. Have a heated shop with a lift. This winter it’s 4 dr diff 4 wheel cobra discs, suspension. Next winter. Was hoping to install the engine

I ordered v8 outboards for my boat october of ‘21. Didn’t get them on the boat till June of ‘23 so I’m used to waiting for good ****

He's right. You are better off buying an assembled build. Pan to intake from a repeatable builder.

"Repeatable" is your decision.

I passed on a 540ci hemi because it had 6 runs on it from my very respectful head machinist guy. He told me you can't build this for less at $20k (that was asking price.)

I passed. But he maybe right? His Cuda ran 9.6 sec on pump gas with that setup.
"repeatable" or "reputable"?

Not mine But its listed in a facebook group I'm in And I cant get it to link here
1968 426 Hemi for sale
Complete from exhaust manifolds to carb
8G173276
Cast 10/10/66
Machine date 10/23/67
Assembly date 11/20/67
250 miles since rebuild
Running video
$25k
Mesa,AZ
PM for more info.
If it’s posted it’s available

Web capture_21-1-2024_93731_www.facebook.com.jpeg

Last edited:
You should call Ray and see what he thinks on a timeline. I didn't think he could get it out in a year with his backlog. But what you are asking for is easier to build than some Hemis. When I was there he had just gotten a Callies crank in for a build. He had it on order for 2 years. I wish you and your friends were up for a build. I did a YouTube build series last year for people in your situation.

Why on earth did they go to a V8, the "tower of power" supercharged straight 6 is invincible. Have 16 years on mine now and have never pulled a plug...
Believe it or not, the V8 is lighter and more fuel efficient.

You should call Ray and see what he thinks on a timeline. I didn't think he could get it out in a year with his backlog. But what you are asking for is easier to build than some Hemis. When I was there he had just gotten a Callies crank in for a build. He had it on order for 2 years. I wish you and your friends were up for a build. I did a YouTube build series last year for people in your situation.

I’m gonna watch it.

I’m interested in buying your good running 440. I’m located in Pa, but my Sister is in Long Island. I’m assuming you may want to sell it since it’s not the original to your Charger? Whether you decide to sell it or not, I would recommend taking a video of it running in the car including the oil pressure and exhaust. Just in case you want to sell it at some point in the future. Feel free to message me. I’m thinking of going from a small block to a big block in my E body.

Hi there.. As I'm getting older, I feel the need to check off some bucket list items. I've always wanted a Hemi car. I'm not about to run out and spend the kind of money it takes to buy a whole hemi car so I'm toying with the idea of putting a gen2 hemi in my 68 charger. It's already got a 440 in it. I know it makes no financial sense as the 440 runs great and I can throw heads/cam at it and make great power. But... I want a hemi.

With that said, I'm not an engine builder and I'm not going to be sourcing a block/heads/parts and putting it together myself. I'd have to have someone build one for me. I don't know where to begin. I'm on Long Island NY so I'd like to use someone reasonably close... NY, NJ, CT,PA My performance goals are not lofty. 500hp on pump gas.

I don't care much what displacement it is as long as it can make 500hp easily. I'd rather have light weight so I'd prefer aluminum block and heads... or at minimum iron block and aluminum heads. I want to stuff this into the car, drive it.. change the oil, rinse and repeat.

I know the cash register on this deal will in the 30K neighborhood. I dont even know what to ask. last engine I had built is the 440 that's in the car now but that was 25 years ago. I was a kid and walked into a local place and got lucky the guy did a good job. I realize it makes no sense to do this but I want it.
Not a big deal, I dropped one in my 318 Charger with no problems. Different motor mounts, a tti exhaust system, a different kickdown linkage, engine wire harness and maybe a throttle cable is pretty much all you will need since everything on your 440 will bolt up to the hemi (obviously not intake or valve covers). The transmission remains the same. My engine is a stock 465hp 426 with a 870 Holley and hydraulic flat tappet cam. It has been very dependable, I drive it in town and on the 5 and its never given me any grief, its reasonably fast and does world class burnouts. The torque is amazing. Its such a pleasure to drive I pulled it out this week and am putting it in my 68 Plymouth Sport Satellite to have 4 speed fun. IMO you should purchase an engine that is already assembled and broken in like the one in Mesa for 25k. Even if you flew in and drove it home in a uhaul it would be well worth the time and money, these engines are that special. I fully understand youre desire to own one.

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5887.JPG

Not a big deal, I dropped one in my 318 Charger with no problems. Different motor mounts, a tti exhaust system, a different kickdown linkage, engine wire harness and maybe a throttle cable is pretty much all you will need since everything on your 440 will bolt up to the hemi (obviously not intake or valve covers). The transmission remains the same. My engine is a stock 465hp 426 with a 870 Holley and hydraulic flat tappet cam. It has been very dependable, I drive it in town and on the 5 and its never given me any grief, its reasonably fast and does world class burnouts. The torque is amazing. Its such a pleasure to drive I pulled it out this week and am putting it in my 68 Plymouth Sport Satellite to have 4 speed fun. IMO you should purchase an engine that is already assembled and broken in like the one in Mesa for 25k. Even if you flew in and drove it home in a uhaul it would be well worth the time and money, these engines are that special. I fully understand youre desire to own one.
I saw that one in mesa listed on a fb group … my problem is I don’t trust anyone. Nothing personal against that seller but I find it hard to believe a word anyone says. Shame too. The one in mesa date matches my car. Mine is a late year 68 build

Auto Transport Service
Back