• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GEN III Hemi Carbureted ???? Opinions???

HammerSlammer

Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
I seen a few write-ups on this setup and wanted to see what everyone thought of it, Gen III with carb setup, Indy has a mod man intake to setup dual carbs on the G3, nice looking setup, has a classic look and a big difference in price.

Any thoughts or comments??

It will cost as much to go carb as to stay efi.....so what it comes down to is "what do you want/like".

I swapped the 5.7 AND transmission into my GTX. We fired it up last night and it sure was nice to reach in the car and turn the key rather than sit in there and pump pump crank crank.

I built a hot rod with a 5.7 Hemi drive train and wiring harness out of a ram truck. I could not figure out how to make the electronics work. So I got a 750 carb ( free) and bought a Mopar manifold off E-Bay ($150) and a MSD Hemi-6 ignition box ($400). Got a used 727 ($200), a manual valve body ($250). The car weights 1850 Lbs and has 4.30 gears. This is the simplest way to go and cheap. Has zoomy headers which surprising are not very loud. Handles great and can smoke the tires at will.

t-bucket test ride 007-6.jpg

t-bucket test ride 007-6.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see how the carb setup will put you in the same price range as EFI,

I have to agree with 65AFX, the carb option seems to be an economical choice if your on a budget.

Super Bee Ski, that's the setup I was referring to "Indy Hemi" 6.1 with dual carb setup, really like the look of it, very unique and they offer a few nice upgrades to include a 426 cu in. package with numbers in the 500 range.

- - - Updated - - -

65AFX:

Love the build and that G3 hemi is looking stout!! Do you have any work done to it, or mostly stock?

Where are you located in AZ? I spent some time in Sierra Vista years ago while I was in the Army. We used to run around on "Speedway" in Tucson Friday nights, plenty of nice hot rods to check out.

I built a hot rod with a 5.7 Hemi drive train and wiring harness out of a ram truck. I could not figure out how to make the electronics work. So I got a 750 carb ( free) and bought a Mopar manifold off E-Bay ($150) and a MSD Hemi-6 ignition box ($400). Got a used 727 ($200), a manual valve body ($250). The car weights 1850 Lbs and has 4.30 gears. This is the simplest way to go and cheap. Has zoomy headers which surprising are not very loud. Handles great and can smoke the tires at will.

View attachment 165629

How much was the engine?

Carb, ignition controller, manifold, fuel pump, regulator, and so on. The 5.7 comes with the efi, so a harness and fuel pump and regulator. Do some shopping, when ya add up the cost for each, it's a toss up for all new parts....getting lucky on ebay will help either of the set up costs to come down.

Paid $1200 for the complete drive train and all the wiring harnes off a 70,000 mile 2004 ram. Sold than tran for $200 and all the original wiring harness for $100. I bought an electric fuel pump off Ebay for $40 (new). I didn't need a regulator or return line. Starts up every time. The motor is stock. The complete cost of parts to build the car was $9000. Fabricated most everything in my garage (frame, bed, suspension, cowl steering, pedals, fuel log, fuel tank, headers, etc). Bought the fiberglass body. It has sprint car wheels, sprint car lightweight front axle (aluminum spindles with titanuim snouts, magnesium hubs, wilwood sprint car brakes). Front suspension is sprint car torsion bars, the rear is 4 link with dirt late model coil overs.

I have been thinking about buying the modman intake, running dual throttle bodies off of 2 older 360's and drilling the manifold for the fuel injectors. This way I could run a dual 4 barrel style air cleaner and fool people with the exception of the visible fuel rails.

Just a thought but would also require me to go to a different fuel injection setup to get rid of the required drive by wire. But I do like mine being fuel injected, better fuel economy and will start no matter what.

gccuda,

Where did you pickup the 6.1? What do you plan on putting it in? And you will be doing a dual carb setup with the modman intake?

you loose the efficiency of when the fuel isnt delivered to the back of the valve. The 04 ram computers (even the 05) are terrible. There is affordable aftermarket stuff out there for the efi. They run SO MUCH better with the modern EFI

Gentleman
This is a done deal, thanks for all the info.

I'll be going with a 440 stroker "505" setup with FI from Muscle Motors. Its in their line of the "Killer Krate" series engine packages, about 550hp and 650tq, should work out well for my 70RR.......

:headbang:

View attachment 165629
Hi 65AFX. I have a very similar configuration to the one you have on your build. Yet I am struggling to get the timing right. Do you might sharing your MSD tables. Which carb make/model are you using?
Appreciate the help

Holley 750. Don't remember what jets. We did play around with jetting as it seemed to rich in the beginning. The timing is what ever came as the default. We just plugged the MSD6 box in and started the car up.

I went with the MP intake, MSD Hemi 6 controller and the MSD EFI. I figured the two MSD parts should talk to each other and I would only have one phone number for tech support.

Auto Transport Service
Back