• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen III Hemi swap into B Body with cruise?

Sixpactogo

Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
I am still waiting for parts to do the mock up on my 6.1 swap into a 68 Charger so have time to wonder about a few things.
Have any of you guys that have done these swaps incorporated Cruise control? I figured with Air and power windows, there is no reason why I shouldn't have cruise too.

Would I be able to utilize the factory cruise switch and make it work with the PCM? In other words, would the engine management system recognize it?

Hold on. I would need to research the specific year pcm. The cruise switch is probably a bussed input to the pcm which makes it tricky. I will get back to you on this

Rebel,
I bought a kit from Bouchillon Performance Engineering. They call it a Gen 3 Hemi Computer w/545RFE. I belive it is an aftermarket PCM that they have built and flashed to work with the 6.1 and 545. I have not spoke with them about this issue as it just came to me that it would be nice to have. Maybe it is something that can't be done or should be left alone for now. I will mention it to Randy at Bouchillon to get his take on it. I was just wondering if any of you guys have done it and made it work. Thanks for your efforts whatever you come up with.

Well, it depends on what year it is as far as factory stuff goes. The early trucks used direct inputs from the switch. Later stuff changes to a system where the cruise switch is a direct input to the closest module (like steering column control module) and the info is then sent on the data bus from the sccm to the pcm. But, not sure what you got from bouchillon. Definitely talk to them

I believe vehicle speed is taken off a ABS sensor so I doubt you'd be able to make it work with the factory PCM without a reinvention of the wheel.... Go with a stand alone PCM, cable operated throttle body, and run a factory cruise control system...

Is there a Cable operated Throttle body available for the 6.1? that would solve a lot of my problems with the accelerator. I was unable to make a drive by wire pedal work under my dash with the factory AC heater box that leaves no room between the steering column and heater box. I planned on using the factory cable operated pedal to interface with the drive by wire module but if I can use a cable operated throttle body, that would be the ticket.
I did speak with Bouchillon and was told there was no proceedure available to run a cruise at this time so I have kinda given up on the idea for now.
Thanks for the input guys. It all helps. My car is in the body shop getting some new metal and I don't expect to get it back until February so I have time to mull over the issues.
Bouchillon has provided me with everything I need except for the engine management system. I have not yet ordered it because I am still up in the air on Throttle issue and cruise issue. I will speak again with Randy @ Bouchillon to get his take on your idea Rolling_Thunder

I think it would work with a factory computer. I think you'd need the switches wired and probably the correct vehicle speed input that the ECM used. I know my truck uses the sensor in the differential which is triggered off the ring gear. It would be possible to mount a sensor next to the driveshaft as the u-joint spins to get a pulse signal. The problem would be that more then likely you would not get enough pulses. I think it could be done though...would require some research and a bit of trial and error. I have been contemplating doing this myself. (but right now my car is for sale, if I keep it I need tail pipes before longer road trips...)

The other way of going about this would be doing the older "black box" throttle positioning sensor that utilizes a cable from the gas pedal to the black box. This can be modified to again connect to the factory cruise control system or an aftermarket cruise control kit.

Auto Transport Service
Back