• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting a new fender tag

Scott Kiger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
My fender tag on my 68 road runner is pretty bad off rusty. It’s pretty much gone actually. Just some pieces. Don’t know if the build sheet is in the car yet as I haven’t torn it down. Have heard horror stories about using Galen but wanted to know what route y’all would recommend on getting a new tag made for the car. I am going to restore it either way but would like an accurate fender tag on it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My fender tag on my 68 road runner is pretty bad off rusty. It’s pretty much gone actually. Just some pieces. Don’t know if the build sheet is in the car yet as I haven’t torn it down. Have heard horror stories about using Galen but wanted to know what route y’all would recommend on getting a new tag made for the car. I am going to restore it either way but would like an accurate fender tag on it. Thanks in advance.

There is far more to getting an accurate tag made than asking for references on the web.

You must find someone that knows the differences on how each plant coded tags and when they coded certain things on tags. What was coded and when it was coded changes within the model year. There is a coding quirk to 68 Road Runners built the St. Louis plant that may or may not exist at the Lynch Road and LA plant.

MMC Detroit will help if you have the correct documentation for the tag.

Will you vouch for their work so the OP doesn't waste money?

A.G. Backeast out of Colorado does great tags.

That's who made the bogus tag for my car for an OP. A lot of his bad tags have shown up over the years. I think they are out of business.

You will need your build sheet

Dave Wise. http://www.mmcdetroit.com/

Simply having a BS does not ensure getting an accurate tag. You have to know what to code on the tag from the BS, when to code it and sometimes where to doe it on the tag.

I can vouch for quality of tags Dave Wise, MMC Detroit kicks out.
BUT Dave wont make original tags unless he is 100% confident that the car is legit. Which requires a broadcast sheet, or punch card.
I have herd that there is less scrupulous fender tag providers out there. I dont know any.

I can vouch for quality of tags Dave Wise, MMC Detroit kicks out.
BUT Dave wont make original tags unless he is 100% confident that the car is legit. Which requires a broadcast sheet, or punch card.
I have herd that there is less scrupulous fender tag providers out there. I dont know any.

I would strongly urge you to study all tag providers work in detail. There are certain aspects to tags and tag making that cannot be known regardless of who makes the tags. Yet, people continue to provide tags for a fee.

Scott asked for an accurate tag. The honest answer is 'depending on the circumstances that may not be possible'.

56E66F88-2D56-4729-B127-7C813A286D81.jpeg
DC917076-E63F-48A0-AECC-00D91D8C08F1.jpeg
5C18B077-365F-4F2E-A648-AA18238BB9DB.jpeg
8095A541-E251-4F69-AA8D-8B6AA395D880.jpeg
7FC27E6A-22B8-475A-8EF8-7B4A9C64A10B.jpeg
I would strongly urge you to study all tag providers work in detail. There are certain aspects to tags and tag making that cannot be known regardless of who makes the tags. Yet, people continue to provide tags for a fee.

Scott asked for an accurate tag. The honest answer is 'depending on the circumstances that may not be possible'.

what’s left of the tag is on the car. Don’t know if anything can be gleaned from doing a pencil shading from the back. May be a build sheet in the car. Don’t know. Seats haven’t been removed. It’s unrestored and obviously a road runner though. A four speed with factory AC at that

View attachment 1231807 View attachment 1231808 View attachment 1231809 View attachment 1231810 View attachment 1231811

what’s left of the tag is on the car. Don’t know if anything can be gleaned from doing a pencil shading from the back. May be a build sheet in the car. Don’t know. Seats haven’t been removed. It’s unrestored and obviously a road runner though. A four speed with factory AC at that

You are better off trying to get a rubbing from the back of the tag, doing your own homework and and working with someone that KNOWS tags for your specific year and plant before spending money and asking someone to make a tag.

A tag maker makes money from selling tags. A tag maker does not make money from having the knowledge on how to make accurate tags. If that were true, tag makers would not make bad tags. It's up to you, not them, to know what is right for your car.

Auto Transport Service
Back