• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting ready to install the new engine in the Coronet

andyf

Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
My '65 Coronet has been sitting in the corner for the past year waiting for its new engine. The engine was built last year and run on the dyno but I've been super busy with other projects so I just never got it installed. Engine is a 496 (426W with 4.25 stroke) with mild compression and mild hyd roller cam but it still managed to make a little more than 600 power and torque on the dyno. Transmission is a Doug Nash 5 speed.
DSC_4409 (Large).JPG
DSC_4404 (Large).JPG

That is interesting that you chose a smaller bore rather than just jump to the 440 block.
I respect your skills, I just wonder why.
I see Trick Flow heads. I am considering them for when my 493 needs a refresh.

Small bore don’t matter much when the whole engine combination is right. This is the quickest and fastest A/SA car the world has ever seen. 413 engine getting it done.

28632D7E-0F23-4DC8-AD3D-3EC87CD76AA2.jpeg

That is interesting that you chose a smaller bore rather than just jump to the 440 block.
I had a stock bore and stroke 383 running a best of a 10.92 in 1970-71. Consistent in the very low 11's with 915 iron heads. Ofcourse the bottom end was the only thing close to stock.

who makes those headers or are they custom?

You are correct on the bore size. I had a low deck 511 in the car for the past 10 years but it is an original 426W car and I found a 426W block so I decided to make it "more correct". It obviously isn't correct with the TF heads and EFI and all of that stuff, but it just seemed like I should use the 426W block for the car when it came time to build a new engine. I have 440 blocks on the shelf so I could've gone that way and made a little more power, but I just decided this car needed an original 426W block in it.

who makes those headers or are they custom?

The headers started off as Schumachers but they didn't fit with the Lakewood bellhousing so the ends had to be cut off and new ones made. This is part of the reason why the project has dragged on for so long. The car has been heavily modified over the years and most aftermarket stuff doesn't fit right out of the box. Any time I work on the car I have to fire up the CAD system and start sending work out to the local fab shops. There are no easy projects with this car.

andyt, that should be really fun. BTW your book is a great resource, thanks.

Really nice! I did the 383 stroked to 496 w .030 over bore. 440 source heads cnc ported n mild hydraulic roller. Hit 610 hp at 5,200 n 670 tq at 3,900 on engine dyno. Haven't gotten car on dyno yet, still shaking down little bugs here n there before the car itself is ready.

My '65 Coronet has been sitting in the corner for the past year waiting for its new engine. The engine was built last year and run on the dyno but I've been super busy with other projects so I just never got it installed. Engine is a 496 (426W with 4.25 stroke) with mild compression and mild hyd roller cam but it still managed to make a little more than 600 power and torque on the dyno. Transmission is a Doug Nash 5 speed.
View attachment 1022176 View attachment 1022177
I'm sure it's been asked before and I hate to dredge up an old post, but what did it take to get the Doug Nash to fit the car?

Auto Transport Service
Back