• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GIII swap into B Body

Sixpactogo

Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into swapping a 6.1 ro 5.7 into a b body using the new 68RFE 6 speed Auto?

Sounds interesting! There's a fellow on here that's here in Texas that does these swaps...can't recall his name right off the top of my head, he may know the ins and outs and the facts on such a feat!

You mean the 2012 65RFE? it was a version of the old 45RFE and 545RFE that split second gear for the extra ratio. The 68RFE is the unit used in the diesel trucks and will not bolt to a GENIII engine. I suspect if one had electronics to support the latest Hemi it would work the trans as well.

I was wondering about that. I thought the 68RFE was Cummins only. Then I saw on on Ebay that said "Dodge Ram 2500 3500 5.7 68RFE Six speed Automatic Transmission"
Maybe a typo I guess.

I believe the 6 spd transmission that would bolt up to the gen 3 hemi is a 66rfe as that is what my 2012 PowerWagon with a 5.7 has in it. The ebay labeling should have said 66rfe. The next question is who is first up to get ahold of the new zf 8 speed from the latest Ram 1500s?

There is no controller support for either transmission. No aftermarket controllers. What I suggest is either spend a lot of money for a Nag1 and the stand alone controller, or for far less you can put a GM 4L80 behind it. You can damn near make a 4L80 indestructible. I can help you with the gen3 swap stuff if your need help.

Put a transmission on that requires the man pedal and you don't need something to control it for you....

TR6060...

Thanks for the input guys. I will probably be going with the 545. Don't want a manual. The NAG1 is pretty much out of the question from what I have been hearing.

you might want to listen to LXMODGUY...i got a reman tr6060 for 1800 with a one year warranty. better than the 545

The 545 will be just fine.

545 wont hold up. I keep telling you guys, everyone I know that has put a 545 behind a 6.1 has broke it......almost instantly. You may think the 5.7 and 6.1 are close enough in terms of power output, but truth be told a stock 5.7 puts down about 235 wheel horsepower on my dyno, and stock 6.1 about 340. That is a MASSIVE difference. Especially in the torque curve. 545 just wont do it.

Buy a junk yard 4L80, I will sell you the adapter kit and TCM. You will spend $2000 for the trans and misc and it wont brake.....at all. If you go through the trans you can make it hold the biggest nasty mopar you could possible imagine.

I retract my last post. Now I will go crawl back under my rock covered in whale sh!t, lol!

Hey Modguy, What are these guys doing with the 545 to grenade it in such a short time? These transmissions live in a 5,000 lb truck hauling another ton or so and pulling trailers. I can't believe they won't live in a 3600# car unless it is on the track or roadcourse everyday. I have no plans for any of that activity and really have no need for a transmission that weighs almost as much as the engine. If I was to take your advice with the bowtie unit, I would surely have close to 3 grand or more in the install. Before I do that, I will stay all mopar and go with the NAG1 I already have. Same 3 grand with an extra gear. Everyone is intitled to their opinion. I thank you for yours.

Funny none of the 545RFE we have done had issues. However I do recommend the Paramount package for it of you are doing power adders.

Paramount can build a 545 to hold up. They are testing one in their Jeep for one of my customers this week. If you want to do a 545, I can have one built for you that will hold up

Hey Modguy, What are these guys doing with the 545 to grenade it in such a short time? These transmissions live in a 5,000 lb truck hauling another ton or so and pulling trailers. I can't believe they won't live in a 3600# car unless it is on the track or roadcourse everyday. I have no plans for any of that activity and really have no need for a transmission that weighs almost as much as the engine. If I was to take your advice with the bowtie unit, I would surely have close to 3 grand or more in the install. Before I do that, I will stay all mopar and go with the NAG1 I already have. Same 3 grand with an extra gear. Everyone is intitled to their opinion. I thank you for yours.

I can imagine if you left the factory tune with a long smooth shift you will burn up the clutch packs with too much heat. I bet if you used a diablo or something to firm up the shifts and shorten their duration it would probably live for a while with stock parts.

I can tell you my 04 Ram has 115k on it and shifts like new...and I tow with it and drive it fairly aggressively....as far as I can tell its a good strong trans.

Auto Transport Service
Back