• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good, Better, Best Brake Pads Put To The Test

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
This gets a little technical but is worth watching for 16 minutes.

OK, if you're in a hurry, buy the better or OEM pads. FYI, those NSR pads for Mom's 2007 Chrysler 300 are ONLY $105 for the front. So, I'm sure those fancy ones cost too much for street use.

Last edited:
Napa Adaptives on the modern cars. Ceramic blend. Quiet.

Had ceramics installed on the Lincoln MKX Monday, very smooth & quiet>

Thing about ceramic pads is they eat rotors. Learned that the hard way on my Ram 2500.

I agree with 5.7 on this. From my experience with this issue, you choose your poison. Use the cheap pads and replace them as needed or use the ceramic pads and replace the rotors as needed.

With the more aggressive pads you do have more wear on the rotors. The thing is I've seen the price of rotors drop in recent years (on most) so that's something to consider when buying the aggressive pads.

I hate the rust build up on my aluminium wheels!

What's crazy....I've replaced brake pads, front only, on my '04 Ram just once, at 60 or 70K miles, and it's now at 103K miles. Used the best available pads, they've still got good meat on them, rotors are good. Got them from the dodge dealer.
---I just replaced the front pads on my '68 that came with the disc conversion kit. Ground down to almost nothing after 5000 miles.......so yeah buy the good ones if you can.

Last edited:
I'll buy the oem pads or the mid-range pads if they cost less. But I have had my Doctor Diff brakes on since about 2013 and maybe have 500 miles on them. So, it will be a long time before needing pads for the Coronet.

Auto Transport Service
Back