• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got my 440 installed

HitIt

Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
With the help of my brother we got my new 440 and 4spd trans installed in my 64 Dodge 330 over the weekend. Everything went great, and there are still some details to install and hook up before I can fire it up.

Here are some pics:

Engine compartment is ready:
112_1232.jpg

Truck load of fun:
112_1234.jpg

Going in smoothly:
112_1239.jpg

Using the crucial milk crate tool
112_1259.jpg

The scene:
112_1267.jpg

Headers and Edlebrock 750 are hiding somewhere here. Test fitting the air cleaner:
112_1271.jpg

112_1277.jpg

Working downstairs:
112_1251.jpg

twitter.jpg

Torsion bars cranked back up... done for the night
112_1278.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous!! Looks like some great attention to detail.

Thanks guys. It's been fun but a lot of work.

I got a couple PMs for more info so I thought I should put it here. I am going for a stock 383 look under the hood. The engine is a 30 over 440 with 10.5:1 compression, Cam has 241 duration, .484 lift, 108 center. Heads are mostly stock redone 906's with some good valvesprings and stock rocker shafts. Headman headers (fit perfectly), performer intake, 440 source distributor, Petronix coil and stock look wires. McLeod flywheel, street clutch, pressure plate and TO bearing.

Does anyone know if there is a longer throttle cable from another year or model mopar that works on the early B-bodies with an RB engine? I did some searching but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Does anyone know if there is a longer throttle cable from another year or model mopar that works on the early B-bodies with an RB engine? I did some searching but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

I just finished installing a Lokar Throttle Cable / Kick down Cable. Other than that you might try Kramer.

I guess I might as well use this as my build thread. Interior is coming along. I've recently had the headliner installed, put the carpet, dash, seats, door panels and trim in.
112_1283.jpg

Day-yum!!! Thatsa sweet Dodge! I plan on painting my 440 blue(turquoise) as well when it goes in. Love the sleeper look-gonna surprise some Bow-Ties with that.

Yeah;I'm curious about the pan as well. And,we all want to know how the headers fit-learning from the experience of others.

Thanks for all the great responses… good to hear!

The oil pan is the stock 383 pan, pretty much the only thing that I could find that is sure to fit and not hang below the K frame. In the future I may take it off and get it modified to hold a couple more quarts but for now it will get the car together.

The headers are Headman 78030 and they fit pretty much perfectly. Summit doesn't list the 62-25 B body as an application for these, but Jegs and Headman themselves do.

When I get it running they may rattle a little on the torsion bars if anywhere, but all other clearance is great and they slid into place very very easy. I heard good things about them from 383 Man on this forum and he was right. No problems whatsoever with the Z Bar. I am running a mini starter. Also there is a ceramic coated version of this headers with a thicker flange, but I wanted the old school black header look.

good work ! im happy for you that your headers fit good ... im running dougs on mine and they are very tight. maybe a credit card width away from pass. side shock tower, and drivers side is real close to gearbox ! .... i am also using a lokar throttle cable, looks real clean and fit well

I love it. :yes: Nothing like the feeling you get when you know a bigblock will be coming to life in your car ! And it looks great also. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back