• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got some color in the engine bay

I'm just one and done. I'm not looking for perfection from a first timer in a garage/ driveway paint job. I WILL however see all my mistakes and it will probably drive me nuts.
That being said, I already bought wool pads for the first buff.
In your opinions, would a pad be more user friendly?
I'm not worried about time spent. It's only mine.
—-
I prefer foam over wool.

Yeah Bobtile.
You say one and done but once you pick up a spray gun, its like a disease.
I have a fetish for spray guns.

Are you saying, this is your 1st time ever spraying a car before? Because you did great.
Correct.
I've never sprayed anything except rattle can restoration stuff.

Looking good Bob, especially for a 1st timer

keep it up :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You'll be fine with the wool, it just makes more of a mess, have to be more careful on the edges and don't run it dry. They require more cleaning too as you go.

A little more wet sanding today.

IMG_20201024_155842_609.jpg

—-
Doing great! No signs of red running down. Keep it going, it will be all worth it once you get on it with the pads.
No, no red at all. I've been watching for that.

Looking good Bob

getting nearly time to buff it

any tracks even open out your way ?
or is it just wait till next year ?
your engine done ?

did you decide on the graphics/lettering ?

Looking good Bob

your engine done ?

Tracks are just shutting down now. Doesn't matter for me. No engine yet.
Unfortunately, my engine guy went into the hospital for colon cancer and is not doing well. While he was there, they needed to put 4 stents in. Probably explains the lack of ambition for the last few years.
I finally picked up my block, crank and pistons that have been sitting there from my GTX from 5 years ago.
The guy that works with him and does his heads will now be taking over the entire business. He already has the place completely cleaned up and organized and has my block on a stand now. He'll be doing it shortly.
I'm waiting to see the way the paint comes out before I decide on graphics.
I'm leaning towards not doing anything.
P.S.
I also don't have my converter back from December.
Another business and another long story.

Looking good Bob

your engine done ?

Tracks are just shutting down now. Doesn't matter for me. No engine yet.
Unfortunately, my engine guy went into the hospital for colon cancer and is not doing well. While he was there, they needed to put 4 stents in. Probably explains the lack of ambition for the last few years.
I finally picked up my block, crank and pistons that have been sitting there from my GTX from 5 years ago.
The guy that works with him and does his heads will now be taking over the entire business. He already has the place completely cleaned up and organized and has my block on a stand now. He'll be doing it shortly.
I'm waiting to see the way the paint comes out before I decide on graphics.
I'm leaning towards not doing anything.
P.S.
I also don't have my converter back from December.
Another business and another long story.

How confident are you on this paint job?
Are you second guessing yourself?
Really looking forward to the final buffing!

Always enjoy when a 1st timer does good.

How confident are you on this paint job?
Are you second guessing yourself?
Really looking forward to the final buffing!

Always enjoy when a 1st timer does good.
After the 1st round of sanding with 1000 grit, I'm pretty sure its going to look good when its done now.
The quarter panels were the worst part of the car, but they sanded well.
I'm not sure how exactly its supposed to look at this point because I've never done this.
I'm a little worried about the buffing when the time comes.
Never did that either...

After the 1st round of sanding with 1000 grit, I'm pretty sure its going to look good when its done now.
The quarter panels were the worst part of the car, but they sanded well.
I'm not sure how exactly its supposed to look at this point because I've never done this.
I'm a little worried about the buffing when the time comes.
Never did that either...
—-
Well, if you see red on the pad, you went too far somewhere but no turning back. It’s how we learn.

Finished up with 1000 grit and started on 2000 yesterday.
Hopefully get to 3000 today.
I'm anxious to start buffing.

20201107_123512.jpg 20201107_123452.jpg 20201107_123430.jpg Screenshot_20201108-070459_Gallery.jpg

The hard work is done now. The 2000 goes much easier, you're just removing fine scratches now, 3000 is the same thing again and it goes quick.

Any chance your using 3m Tirzact wet with a 6" orbital polisher? Just got some and haven't tried it yet for my 64' project.

Any chance your using 3m Tirzact wet with a 6" orbital polisher? Just got some and haven't tried it yet for my 64' project.
Nope,
Just an old fashioned hand job...

Auto Transport Service
Back