• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gourmet Dinner Tonite !!!

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
My son dropped off a Bear Roast, he smoked last week. Wasn't sure how to make it into a meal, so my wife cubed it up, mac'n'cheese, some veggies and WOW!!! That was some Good Eatin' !!!
Let Bill Gates Keep his Fake Food !!!
0414232001.jpg

If you like it, that's all that matters! I for one hate bear meat...stringy, greasy crap....but then I never tried using it like you did. I've only killed them when my life depended on it!

I have had bear several times and I enjoyed it.
Mine was probably not prepared as well as it could've been, but tastes are subjective anyway. It sure wasn't smoked like Vandan's in his OP...that probably makes the difference like with so many other meats.

If you like it, that's all that matters! I for one hate bear meat...stringy, greasy crap....but then I never tried using it like you did. I've only killed them when my life depended on it!
Bear is awesome. One of the best wild game meats there is! As long as one gets the hide and fat off it almost immediately!! Bear existence it to put fat on for winter, once it’s dead that fat breaks down and gets right into the meat quickly. At least here in Maine on the ole black bear. Probably depends on type of bear too. Old deer hunters will hang the deer, but you can’t do that with bear. Of all the hunts we’ve done, once we get the bear out of the woods, we get it right into a 34 degree cooler. That keeps it from getting stringy and greasy! Most folks that have tried bear have had some greasy at some point. That does suck! Stinks up the whole house.

Wish I could get a pack of good stuff to try! You still may not like it but at least you’d know it was taken care of properly. Road trip and I’ll even cook it!

:lol::lol:

This bear was taken in the upper Allegheny's, and was a younger hill dweller, not a dumpster diver, so the meat was actually quite tender also. I don't believe the black bear up this way eat much else but plant base either, not really carnivores...

This bear was taken in the upper Allegheny's, and was a younger hill dweller, not a dumpster diver, so the meat was actually quite tender also. I don't believe the black bear up this way eat much else but plant base either, not really carnivores...
:thumbsup:
they do eat a lot of plants after hibernation
like nature laxative, to get rid of 'the plug'
(so they don't **** in the den all winter)
from what they ate just before hibernation,
a lot of acorns, pinenuts/pinecones, any nuts or fruits, some flowers,
they also eat, maybe a few grubs, moths, termites, ants/bugs,
usually tearing up rotted wood or mounds of earth
even a rodent/chick-monk or ground squirrel, if they can catch them
fawns/folds for the bigger bears or other animals kill/scavaging,
they are true omnivores, opportunistic & gatherers

I ate quite a bit of bear (Brown & Black) when I lived in Alaska
it's good & when it's cooked right, it is great meat...
Like sort of, IMO it's gammy pork, most of them up there lived of salmon,
& fresh grasses near the water's edge or grubs in deadfall trees
or moths/worms from under rocks, usually around the higher slopes/shale
(bears by the coast, ate a lot of shellfish/clams, kelp & grasses etc.)

an early spring bear kill, isn't as fatty either
& just before winter, they are really/more fatty
(stored fat for hibernation, or milk production for the sows/cubs)

each bear is different (sort of) even species of bear, can taste a lot different
from the area it's living/hunting/gathering too
& yes a lot of the meat flavor comes from their diet

most bears (black) killed are just over the 90# legal limit
(sadly that's only about the size of a full-grown dog)
big bears, get big because they avoid people,
Young bears aren't too smart/savvy yet or are just outright hungry
&/or curious

some states have different reg.s or legal size too

:luvplace:

Last edited:
Bear is awesome. One of the best wild game meats there is! As long as one gets the hide and fat off it almost immediately!! Bear existence it to put fat on for winter, once it’s dead that fat breaks down and gets right into the meat quickly. At least here in Maine on the ole black bear. Probably depends on type of bear too. Old deer hunters will hang the deer, but you can’t do that with bear. Of all the hunts we’ve done, once we get the bear out of the woods, we get it right into a 34 degree cooler. That keeps it from getting stringy and greasy! Most folks that have tried bear have had some greasy at some point. That does suck! Stinks up the whole house.

Wish I could get a pack of good stuff to try! You still may not like it but at least you’d know it was taken care of properly. Road trip and I’ll even cook it!

:lol::lol:
Too bad we're on opposite ends of the world! The get-it-chilled trick is good to know, like I was sayin I doubt the meat I ate was done right. I used to do a good bit of deer hunting here, not so much anymore. We still go after wild boar quite a bit because there's no season or limit here (on private land anyway)...bacon n' spare ribs what's better than that?:D
My personal favorite is elk. We don't see them here but I had a cousin in Colorado and we'd go every year...good times.

Too bad we're on opposite ends of the world! The get-it-chilled trick is good to know, like I was sayin I doubt the meat I ate was done right. I used to do a good bit of deer hunting here, not so much anymore. We still go after wild boar quite a bit because there's no season or limit here (on private land anyway)...bacon n' spare ribs what's better than that?:D
My personal favorite is elk. We don't see them here but I had a cousin in Colorado and we'd go every year...good times.
I’ve had elk! It was very good! It is too bad Opposite ends….. Makes for an awful long road trip for a steak or a burger! Lol! But if you ever do!!! I’d buy the beer too!

We built and insulated a shack that’s about 6x6. Bought a “cool bot”. wired into a good digital ac. It tricks the ax to go below 60 degrees. In about 20 minutes that cooler is about 34 degrees. Heck if nobody shoots a bear that night, it keeps the beer cold!

Auto Transport Service
Back