• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graveyard Carz Fall 2015

I know it may seem like we should just be rolling in the dough - we make a TV show, we restore cars, we're rich! Well, that's the case when the network pays to have the show made, which is called a commission. That means the network owns the show, the intellectual property, make money from merchandise, and have complete control of the sale of advertising on the show. Because of all the rights the obtain and control they have, they pay high premiums to their talent and staff.

Our show is made independently - all the production staff including myself are passionate filmmakers who get paid very little in exchange to have all of the creative freedom over the show. We have fun with what we do, and seeing our hardwork on television is bigger than getting a big check that 40% goes to the government. When we made the season finale episode (it was sent to the network back in Oct.) we needed funds to help update the infrastructure of the production equipment. Tripods, cameras, jibs - you know, essential stuff to make a better season.

And because that we control the creativity with the show, and have aligned with some incredible vendors because of this, we were going to provide some awesome perks to those who donated.

Anyways, it doesn't matter because we had a network deal come through that helps with the infrastructure upgrades and so we canceled it. But all the perks we accumulated are being handed out as gifts to our newsletter subscribers for free. No donation required.

So, yeah, hopefully that clears the air.

And just so you know, I can't say how much money Velocity gives us for the show, what I can say is we make about 12% of what we should make to cover the budget of making the show. It's only because of the car restorations that help us get out of the red.

- - - Updated - - -

For example, Mark doesn't actually put cosmoline on the vehicles. He has his own mixture of paint to create the "look" of cosmoline.

" So what you said above about owning the show independently than why have I noticed the 2nd half of the season you have not mentioned any of the vendors anymore, like AMD, MrMoparts, Legendary? All you refer to them now is a "vendor" or is the show no longer owned independently starting with the 2nd half of 2015?"

" So what you said above about owning the show independently than why have I noticed the 2nd half of the season you have not mentioned any of the vendors anymore, like AMD, MrMoparts, Legendary? All you refer to them now is a "vendor" or is the show no longer owned independently starting with the 2nd half of 2015?"

I think you might be mistaken.

Our second half of the season began Oct. 7th, 2015 with the release of 12 brand new episodes. We aired 4, there was a 3 week hiatus, and we returned Nov. 25th and aired a brand new episode every week until January 13th.

During those times, we made plenty of mentions of our sponsors. In the very first episode in Oct. 7th and our second episode Oct. 14th, we dedicated an entire act of our episodes to AMD and AMD installation and the work they provided for our Phantom Cuda. From that point forward, many of our sponsors were mentioned verbally. One thing we did run into this season was Ad Sales from the Network began cracking down on how obvious our integrations were. It makes it difficult for their team to sell ads to their other shows if we're providing better exposure for a fraction of the cost. So we did have to reduce our amount of logo shots, product shots, etc. But for the most part, many of our sponsors received the promised or agreed alternative sponsor integration.

Ultimately, GYC is still independently owned and operated. Whether we call them vendors or sponsors, they are basically the same thing. They help the guys in the shop produce some amazing cars.

Worman doesn't get it; we want to see what they are doing to the cars; all the drama needs to be deleted. I want to know how they came up with their decision to make the restoration work; I want to see that plan in action; I want to see the parts installed in real time; bolt by bolt; screw up by screw up and then do it over until its right; I want to know what they are using; tools, paint, primer, etc. I want the meat!

So, for me the show is boring.!! so I don't watch. My two cents.

Might stop in on way over to the coast. Fun to look in shop & get an early look at what's coming.

Worman doesn't get it; we want to see what they are doing to the cars; all the drama needs to be deleted. I want to know how they came up with their decision to make the restoration work; I want to see that plan in action; I want to see the parts installed in real time; bolt by bolt; screw up by screw up and then do it over until its right; I want to know what they are using; tools, paint, primer, etc. I want the meat!

I don't know what show you have been watching, but the most recent episodes were almost exactly what you are asking for.

I don't know what show you have been watching, but the most recent episodes were almost exactly what you are asking for.

Agreed!! I watch many car resto shows and GYC shows WAY more of the "building" than any other show I've watched. They have to have filler stuff for every viewer. Mark is a little different but I'm cool with that. I just laugh and go on. I think his builds are more realistic. Fast N Loud is one of my favorites but I know restoring a car in 2 weeks is pretty much impossible.

Just my $.02

GYC completely skips over metal work, the time it really takes, the rust encountered that slows things down, by the time a car goes to paint, it's all downhill almost from then on out. Assembly is tedious and time consuming. Show more metal working. Need more drama, GYC already is a niche show, it's all about people as I've said before, and the current 'mix' there just leaves me yawning! GYC days are numbered.

Need more drama, GYC already is a niche show, it's all about people as I've said before, and the current 'mix' there just leaves me yawning! GYC days are numbered.

I believe we show a lot of the metal work on the show. This last season alone, the one car that was available to show metal work had two episodes dedicated to the sheet metal installation. We showed the dedication to factory spot welds and panel fittings from AMD Installation. During "Hemi in FK5" episode, we showed how our metal worker aligned the Hemi Charger panels and reproduced the accurate spot-welds. We spent a good portion of our premiere episode showing Mark blocking the Hemi Charger, prepping for paint. We showed Mark attempting to fix the tin-canning of the decklid for the Plum Crazy Challenger.

Unfortunately for you, there won't be more drama. We're trying to make the show about the cars with moments of levity to allow the car work to breathe. For a niche show, Graveyard Carz outperforms many "non niche" car shows, we received the best ratings we've ever had, and we've been renewed for two more seasons. To say GYC days are numbered is a wildly inaccurate accusation.

- - - Updated - - -

When is series 6 starting?

We've just started shooting Season 6 and 7. We'll likely air in the summer or early fall.

Im in the process of rebuilding my entire dash and steering column on my 1972 and I've never seen any of the shows cover all the details. maybe thats the boaring part. I like Greese Monkey Richard the best them Mark of GYC. Pay attention to the back ground cars as they go through the build and you will see how long it really takes. everyhing in the background changes but the camera angle on the main event stays the same. All these shows are great for our hobby. It's the BJ and Mecum auctions that kill our hobby. Everyone thinks that rust bucket in the yard is woth $75K...........

Gotta agree on the auctions. They misinform the unwary masses.

Zzzz; stop with all the whining just make a great show. Sometimes, you have to change what you are doing. If it isn't working then change it until you get it right. Damn.

I think you might be mistaken.

Our second half of the season began Oct. 7th, 2015 with the release of 12 brand new episodes. We aired 4, there was a 3 week hiatus, and we returned Nov. 25th and aired a brand new episode every week until January 13th.

During those times, we made plenty of mentions of our sponsors. In the very first episode in Oct. 7th and our second episode Oct. 14th, we dedicated an entire act of our episodes to AMD and AMD installation and the work they provided for our Phantom Cuda. From that point forward, many of our sponsors were mentioned verbally. One thing we did run into this season was Ad Sales from the Network began cracking down on how obvious our integrations were. It makes it difficult for their team to sell ads to their other shows if we're providing better exposure for a fraction of the cost. So we did have to reduce our amount of logo shots, product shots, etc. But for the most part, many of our sponsors received the promised or agreed alternative sponsor integration.

Ultimately, GYC is still independently owned and operated. Whether we call them vendors or sponsors, they are basically the same thing. They help the guys in the shop produce some amazing cars.

Unfortunately I believe you are wrong. After the AMD installation I have not seen any vendors/sponsors mentioned anymore to the likes of Legendary Auto, MrMoparts and only once for Tony's Parts. In fact I can guarantee you that if you go back and look at the episodes. Which seems so funny since they are "instrumental" to GYC success!

Unfortunately I believe you are wrong. After the AMD installation I have not seen any vendors/sponsors mentioned anymore to the likes of Legendary Auto, MrMoparts and only once for Tony's Parts. In fact I can guarantee you that if you go back and look at the episodes. Which seems so funny since they are "instrumental" to GYC success!

If we showed Legendary product on screen, whether we verbally said it or not, still counts as an integration. MrMopart's parts/products were shown on screen a few times during the installation of the 1970 340 Cuda. And we had two entire episodes with Tony from Tony's Mopar Parts in Season 4a/4b (now called Season 5).

Considering I put the episodes together, I can assure you that you are mistaken. Anytime you see a logo on screen counts as a sponsor mention - go through an episode and count. Even seeing a product in use, without a verbal mention, counts as a sponsor integration.

As far as they being instrumental to GYC success, they don't make the show anymore entertaining or bring in more/better ratings. If anything, we're instrumental to their success. They wouldn't be able to get the level of exposure they do on our show if they purchased time directly from the network. Hard reality to face, but it's true.

It doesn't mean we don't appreciate our sponsors, or that their products don't help us, but the hard fact is, if we loose a vendor, the show will go on.

In the end, it's odd to find someone who is mad there wasn't enough sponsor plugs when we get complaints about how much we plug our sponsors.

From Hemi FK5 alive

Capture.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back