• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green bearings gone

1948 santa

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Our 63 Sport Fury has a later model year differential, no tapered axles, which had green bearings and I had been wanting to replace them with the tapered cone and rollers so the last two days it received a complete redo, new differential bearings, axle bearings and serviced the driveshaft trunion and u-joint. Got the axle bearing retainers from one of the FBBO members and found the axle spacer in the differential at Carlisle last year, got Timken bearings from Napa. Big scavenger hunt but finally got it back the way it should be.

What is your opinion that caused you to change from green bearings back to stock? I am on the side of stock bearings...............................MO

Green bearings are junk on the street.(they cant take the side loading).They are good for drag racing tho.

I've been running and changing to green bearings for 15 years..these are the same as ford and they don't have problems...do what you want but my 2 cents is the greens are a better way to go than leaky tapered..plus..get the lash set correct...greens don't need that either

Was a Chrysler mechanic in the 60s and 70s never knew what green bearings were in the day. Like my car as close to stock as possible the day it came from the factory. When you change to green bearings you need to remove the differential and remove the axle spacer block a job a lot of people can't perform. If you change to green bearings make sure to save all the parts you remove because down the road they'll be hard to find. My answer to Cornpatch Mo.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with the Greens is most sit on the shelf for a very long time before going into service and the grease in them simply dries up but as the question always goes to what's better, the answer will always be Timkens. They take way more side forces than a ball bearing plane and simple but....a ball bearing can and will good service if the lube is still good. I've never seen a Green that wasn't sealed and the newer ones are coming with a separate retainer instead of it being part of the bearing. The integrated retainer bearings are the old ones and those most likely will have dried up grease. If you can get the seal off without damaging it, (kinda hard to do) you can clean it, regrease, replace the seal and get good service from it. There's millions of vehicles out there that came with ball bearing axles from the factory and they did pretty well....but for severe duty, the Timkens win.

I have green brg.s in my axle, and I like them a lot.

You all know that there are 2 different types of "Greens" out there don't you? Dr. Diff has the good ones if I am not mistaken too. Greens are fine as long as you aren't running Rallys and Road Courses. Normal driving they will last quite a while....My 2 Cents....cr8crshr/Tuck

Was a Chrysler mechanic in the 60s and 70s never knew what green bearings were in the day. Like my car as close to stock as possible the day it came from the factory. When you change to green bearings you need to remove the differential and remove the axle spacer block a job a lot of people can't perform. If you change to green bearings make sure to save all the parts you remove because down the road they'll be hard to find. My answer to Cornpatch Mo.
I had a debate with myself --Green vs timpkin. I decided that using green just because it was easier not to have to set axle end play. was not a good enough reason. I can't answer why some have trouble with them and some don't
I just wanted to know why someone , once having the green, would go back to Timpkins......................................MO

I can't answer why some have trouble with them and some don't
I mentioned one possible problem....another could be attributed to improper installation. If you press them on improperly, no bearing will last very long. A bearing should be heated on a bearing heater and then dropped on the axle and not pressed on cold. Also, I've seen where the axle shaft was over sized quite a bit and if that's the case, it should be addressed. All bearings have a fit dimension and if the axle is indeed over that tolerance, it needs to be either replaced or machined to the proper size. A Timken is bit more tolerant to oversized fits but balls are not.

when installing green bearings should the thrust spacer be left in or takin out

After buying into the stories of the "convenience" of the non adjustable "Green" ball bearing stuff, I had them installed on a set of Moser shafts. One of them crapped out within 6000 miles. I installed a new set made by Mopar Performance. They are making noise again. I'm ready to switch back to the Timkens. I have minimal interest in drag racing because corners are my thing.

when installing green bearings should the thrust spacer be left in or takin out
67B-body is absolutely right about having to take the axle spacer out but only if using a 65 or newer center section, the spacer on a 64 and older center section is 1.25 inches long and can be left in place as was in my case. Spacers on 65 and newer rears are 1.5 inches. Easy to identify old one is a square spacer. hope pictures help. SAM_2769.jpgSAM_2770.jpg

You gotta keep in mind that if your housing is crooked/bent and all factory housings are, the green brg.s will not tolerate that unlike the factory timkens.

You gotta keep in mind that if your housing is crooked/bent and all factory housings are, the green brg.s will not tolerate that unlike the factory timkens.
Now that is a thought seriously worth considering. Different amounts of warpage would proly account for different amounts of bearing life................................MO

The place that narrowed my housing had to heat it in a few spots to get it true....also the jig would not go in straight because of it being off slightly.

I have a 23 spline Dana 60 out of a 68 coronet. I am switching to green bearings. To remove my thrust spacer, do I need to remove the rear section? Or can I get it out with a magnet like I read somewhere else?

I have looked down the axle tube, but I don't see anything resembling any images I have seen. I just see the opposite side axle, which I haven't removed.

i had someone offer to give me a set green bearings; i said no thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back