• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grill paint

Encswsm

Local time
11:03 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone painted the blackin between their grill teeth? Im looking at mine and it needs paint but I dont think spray will work well it would paint the chrome. Especially the back side of the headlight buckets they are a mess.
Thanks

I sprayed mine and then carefully removed the paint from the bars. You could tape every one if you have the patience and time

Took a while to complete!

F29582A1-B5E6-4545-9919-4AF3AC35C7C6.jpeg

D6E4D572-2D45-48FE-80D1-4896AAE02A45.jpeg

1A349A09-D839-4B60-8BE1-75C077364861.jpeg

Mine’s a daily driver when there’s no salt on the ground. Constantly getting pelted by crap so I did it the cheap easy repeatable way haha. just took a little brush and a little can of matte black paint and spent 30 minutes painting in between each rib. Looks great unless you put your forehead on the thing trying to find flaws.

Mines a daily unless it rains or snows also. I just have a lot of time during the winter months here in Michigan to do stuff to my 66

A trick to paint is to put petroleum jelly on the fins.

I like the pinstripe masking .

Mines a daily unless it rains or snows also. I just have a lot of time during the winter months here in Michigan to do stuff to my 66
Michigan?! I feel like we should be enemies... but luckily you have great taste in cars

:lol:

I was thinking about painting it all semi gloss and before it totally cures wiping the paint off of the outside edge.

That should work. May want to use a little paint thinner with one of the wipes.

I've done that too and it works ok but you have to be careful not to make a mess of the paint edge. A thin rag with a decent thinner. I've used non chlorinated brake clean with good resluts

Have patience, set aside a decent block of uninterrupted time, and enjoy the process. The grille on these cars is part of the magic. I taped off the back, used an etcher, and then sprayed. Use lacquer thinner on a Scott towel (or q-tips) and gently remove overspray from chrome parts. The face of the splines. Turned out great, fairly easy to spray in the sides this way. Try a test or smaller piece first.

IMG_7282.jpeg

IMG_7281.jpeg

IMG_7280.jpeg

IMG_7279.jpeg

IMG_7278.jpeg

IMG_7277.jpeg

IMG_7276.jpeg

IMG_7275.jpeg

I like the pinstripe masking .
I did this on mine about a month ago. Worked really well and gave a perfect result. Sprayed with satin black. I also painted the rad support black behind the grille to add to the "floating" look, as mine was red before.

Auto Transport Service
Back