• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ground cable from intake to neg. battery post gets warm/hot.

Dakotaacres

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Original ground cable from the intake to the battery gets warm/hot when starting the engine. I did clean the contact area. Any suggestions on what's going on?
thanks

If it's getting hot, I believe that means you still have a bad connection. Some ideas off the top of my head:
1. aluminum heads
2. stainless steel intake bolts
3. cable partially broken inside where you can't see

A dragging starter might try to draw an excessive amount of power through it.

You could just try a cable from Tractor supply and see if it does the same thing.
Surprisingly I've never checked any of mine, I can tell from the sound how things are working.

It is a bad practice to charge a battery with the electrical system ( battery cables) still connected. Any surge can cause damage to electrical components.
You didn't say anything about the engine or modifications done to it. A normal, properly tuned engine should start immediately when you turn the key. Cranking the engine cause a huge load on the battery. Re-check all electrical connections.

and? did you figure it out?
Original ground cable from the intake to the battery gets warm/hot when starting the engine. I did clean the contact area. Any suggestions on what's going on?
thanks

Sounds like a defective cable...
Many are sourced from China and are total junk...

Try another cable..

Just my $0.02... ;)

It is a bad practice to charge a battery with the electrical system ( battery cables) still connected. Any surge can cause damage to electrical components.
You didn't say anything about the engine or modifications done to it. A normal, properly tuned engine should start immediately when you turn the key. Cranking the engine cause a huge load on the battery. Re-check all electrical connections.
It's a survivor with a stock engine, block cast in 1965.

Use a jumper cable for an additional ground. Use the jumper in place of the ground to see if it heats up

A cable that old may be deteriorating many spots. The lug at battery may be getting worn out at insertion point. Also, feel along the insulation for any slight bulges, many times that is corrosion inside your insulation.

Auto Transport Service
Back