• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ground jumper for fuel tank/gauge

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
Where does the ground jumper go? I'm sure it goes on the sender to fuel line(?) Can't seem to find it in the manual or thought I had a picture of it before I replaced the tank and lines.

Thanks!

The toothed claw ends go on the bare steel parts of the fuel delivery line - one on the fuel sender outlet - the other end goes on the bare fuel line.

The toothed claw ends go on the bare steel parts of the fuel delivery line - one on the fuel sender outlet - the other end goes on the bare fuel line.

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure sense I can't find the picture or in the manual. THANKS!!

Any pictures?

Sometimes google is your friend LOL

groundstrap-jpg.jpg

It seems when you purchase a sending unit or fuel line kit the grounding strap is too short I had to use my old one which works but does not look new, also the reproduction b body sending units are a straight tube out to the rubber line, the original sending units have a curved end,

Since you're crawling up under there anyway, it might be worth your while to ditch that factory strap, which doesn't really provide a nice tight connection, in favor of a ground wire or strap that you can securely clamp at both ends... Just for added peace o' mind....this is what I did. Kind of hard to see, but I secured it with a hose clamp tightened around the sending unit
20170306_162701.jpg

I didn't think the factory strap looked very reliable myself, I took a small copper pipe clamp and made a strap that draws down tight on the sending unit nipple and grounded it to the body.

Since you're crawling up under there anyway, it might be worth your while to ditch that factory strap, which doesn't really provide a nice tight connection, in favor of a ground wire or strap that you can securely clamp at both ends... Just for added peace o' mind....this is what I did. Kind of hard to see, but I secured it with a hose clamp tightened around the sending unit
View attachment 505502

Thought of that as well, beanhead. I have the same ground jumper for my engine that I got working in aviation. Looks and functions the same as factory. I know I have a stainless one coming to "look" like factory strap but heck, who would really come under to look at that? I mean, as long as it is grounded/"bonded" and the fuel gauge works, who cares?

I didn't think the factory strap looked very reliable myself, I took a small copper pipe clamp and made a strap that draws down tight on the sending unit nipple and grounded it to the body.

I think I'll do the same, 747mopar.

Well thanks, Nacho but for some reason, Google didn't show that picture on my end

:lol:

I installed the strap maybe 7 years ago. Before that didn't have anythin and allways worked. Actually never needed, just installed for correctness. It was getting ground through the straps and J bolts I guess.

I think I'll do the same, 747mopar.
The other reason I did mine that way is because I routed my fuel line down my subframe connectors using rubber coated clamps so my line isn't a good source for ground.

We are all of like mind here. I used a 12g wife, stripped at both ends - 1 grounded to the body, the other to the sender.

I used a 12g wife, stripped at both ends
I wana see that! But on a lighter note I agree with the above, I soldered the stripped end for a good clamp.

Sometimes google is your friend LOL

View attachment 505465
Here is a picture of a real setup to support Nachos diagram, I only wish I knew where I got the new sender with the correct curved pipe, because I had the same problem when I restored my car, I could only find ones with straight pipe out, but I found this one and unfortunately its not in my parts spreadsheet! Also just to note, I never have had any issue before or after restoration with the ground clip.
20170825_103602.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back