• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTX '68 Coolant Reservoir Tank

gtx-

Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
Spend a little time searching your local junkyard.
Mike

Pretty sure our '68 GTX's didn't come with one, so you'll just have to retro something else
on it.
What year did they start using them on Plymouth b-bodies?

Pretty sure our '68 GTX's didn't come with one, so you'll just have to retro something else
on it.
What year did they start using them on Plymouth b-bodies?

1972,,,,,maybe some very late 71s

Pretty sure our '68 GTX's didn't come with one
Pretty sure your right, my '68 GTX never had one. I robbed one from a '66 newyorker I had laying out back. It was big and ugly so later removed it and since been running without one, it never dribbles anyway and I don't take it to the track where they are required. On second though the big ugly thing came from a 70's Cordoba.

So it is normal to run it without? Also with an aftermarket radiator?

Yes, just make sure you have a good cap and you have some room for coolant expansion , 1 to 1 1/2" .
Nipple out of the filler neck should have a hose running down the side and then drops through a hole on the lower radiator support.

It depends on what radiator cap you use. The one for a coolant tank has a two way action, letting expanding coolant out and then return when it cools. The cap for no overflow only lets coolant out

3D76DE50-7970-4D7D-824E-4252FDBDF491.jpeg
Damn if I can remember where I got this coolant recovery bottle. The cap is a Stant vented #10231.

You want to make sure the line to the bottle is clamped. If it won’t hold a vacuum it won’t work

Summit racing. No holes drilled.

20180518_200117.jpg

Three reasons to run a recovery system

1- it keep the radiator full which keeps air out of the system

2- it protects the environment

3- you can’t run on a track without it or a catch can.

Three reasons to run a recovery system

1- it keep the radiator full which keeps air out of the system

2- it protects the environment

3- you can’t run on a track without it or a catch can.
Keeping the air out reduces cavitation which impacts cooling efficiency. Also you can run two additional quarts of coolant.

There are 2 types, simple overflow bottle, one inlet just to catch expansion for drag strip requirements, which on the street, totally unnecessary, have aluminum aftermarket radiator in AZ where it's 125° in the summer and as long as I leave the 1" space for expansion with a 16lb cap, never even a dribble nor overheat issue. 2nd is for keeping the radiator completely full and also requires the bottle to have some in it. This type has 2 nipples, one inlet and one for air displacement. This kind needs the 2 way radiator cap as mentioned above.

Here is what I did...cheap, barely noticeable and works like a charm.

View attachment 1179150 View attachment 1179151

I like it.

In 1987, I took my Charger to the track for the first time. Needed an overflow can. Found a coffee can w/ plactic lid in the trash. Used some cheap azz metal strapping and secured it next to the radiator. Cut two holes in the plastic top, one for the hose, the other as a vent. A little embarrassed to say, but I'm still using it today

Auto Transport Service
Back