• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

H vs X Pipe ?

We knew years ago, the h pipe just sounded better. We just called them "balance pipe."

Sorry I'm not trying to get all **** retentive BUT-

Where the H-pipe or X pipe is installed can make a slight difference too, where the temperature starts to drop off so the cold air has a scavenger effect, draws dead air out of the adjoining pipes, not all should be installed in the same location, ever engine every use every size, is slightly different...

BUT;
It's a Nominal differences in HP might be 5hp max at 7000 rpm, on the mass produced Out of the Box kits stuff, advantage with a X-pipe vs a H-pipe, if it will even fit your specific car & if you have the right sized header tube & tube length, tube/collector length/diameter & then the correct diameter exhaust tubing too, whether it's mandrel bent or normal OE type constricted bent exhaust tubing, whether it's out the back of the car or whether it's dumped at the rear axle, what type/style/size flow rates of muffler your using etc. etc. etc.
Allot more of other variables that aren't talked about, that can make a difference if you search for every available HP/TQ#'s...
It's not cut & dry one or the other...

IMO some people just go cheap on exhaust & headers when it finishing the project,
all store bought out of the box mass produced headers aren't created equal either...
the size of the tubing & especially the lengths of the tubing & types of collectors
can & will make a big difference in available HP/TQ, when &/or where you make the specific peak horse power or peak torque too...

Seems like people spend $5k to well over $10k {or much more} on an engine & throw a $150-$250 header & a $300-$500 exhaust system, when it could be allot more, especially for the proper type of system, when money is well spent & if you research how the air moves/flows & what type/styles of collector & lengths of primary tubes &/or collectors are best for your specific needs, can & will make far more effect than any H-pipe or an X-pipe, ever will...

The length of the H-pipe or the X-pipe too, between the exhaust pipes make a savaging difference too, it's not one thing works everywhere or ones better than another,
there's far more variables than just X or H pipe, what is best ?...

sorry I went off a little there...

I hope some of that makes sense,
if you going for every hp/tq #'s available, it makes a drastic difference...
It's not a place to be a cheapskate, too many people are just that when it comes to exhaust & especially headers, people bitch about $700 for header, Hell I've had $3500 headers on some of my dedicated racecars grant you they are/were 6 & 7 second cars, I even spend $500+ probably buying the proper style & length collectors {Flowmaster 4-2-1 Scavengers for the street} & misc. mandrel bent tubing/parts to build my own custom headers too, than maybe another 40+ hrs to build them, it's money/time well spent too...
What goes in must come out...
It's just a big *** air compressor pump & the air flow is critical...
Please just do your research/due diligence...

Not one size type fits all needs....

There's some great books on the subject I'd suggest if your worried about every last HP & TQ #'s read up, because it's allot more than what is being covered here...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back