• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hagerty insurance

Ebody forum has a thread on car insurance. I have Hagerity and no problems, sent a flatbed truck out to get me home. Other than that no claims in 5 years.

I know of nobody in the USA that's had any issue being reimbursed for any damages. Generally it's "get it fixed and give use the bill". Unfortunately in Canada "Hagerty" is just a broker covered by Elite which is then underwritten by AVIVA. I have been stonewalled by them for over 8 months to pay the 23 grand repair on my Superbird. I've managed to get 10 grand out of them so far, my lawyer will now be after them for the rest.

The hard part up here is switching to anyone else so I have to proceed carefully. I have 6 cars insured for about 750k in agreed value for less than 3k/year. No restrictions on driving them....even all 6 out and about at the same time!

I’ve had Hagerty for 14 years now, 3 cars and a truck. No problems, but I’ve had no claims.

I’ve had Hagerty for 26 years ,had one claim paid in a week, no issues at all for one truck and two cars

Recently had a repair totally covered by Hagerty while still under the restoration in progress policy. When I finished my '74 SE and asked them to cover the finished vehicle they wanted to charge me almost 4 X the cost a I eventually chose to go with. Their in house agent told me " We do not claim to be the least expensive but are the best." I guess that was the canned statement telling me take it or leave it.

I felt a bit guilty switching so soon after they did cover the repairs but seems they have gotten more $$$ conscious then my wallet can afford.

I had Hagerty and never made a claim, so can’t speak on that.
I got my renewal last December and my premium was up about 50%. No tickets, claims, credit rating drop, so baffled they tried to jack me up so much. I do have a problem with that!
I found another company whose premium was slightly under what I paid Hagerty in 2022. So I dropped Hagerty like a bad habit.
I just got my renewal with my new company, the premium for 2024 appears unchanged from this year.

No problems or claims with Haggerty. However, on my other vehicles, Geico acted like my best friend until we filed for a total loss on a vehicle, then we got to see what fraudsters they really are. I had to hire my own appraiser who successfully exposed their fraudulent appraisal. Then oh boy did they pay to avoid getting reported! Point being, you never know how good they are until you hit them with a big claim. Dumped those a**holes as soon as we got the check!

No question Haggerty is of top draw stock on hi end classics. But as said earlier they‘re also the highest price generally. There are a host of other excellent classic carriers that essentially do the same for often much less in $$. What I would never do would be insure my higher end classic with one of the common carriers that typically insures the everyday cars. Many of these insurers are getting into or are already into claiming to be classic insurers too. All they’re doing is trying to pick up a new revenue stream and generally a poor choice - particularly when it comes to estimating and paying out in your claim.

It pretty much makes sense to charge you more if you have the ability to drive the car more. If the Co. limited you to driving only to car shows then of course it is cheaper. I'll pay a little more for the ability to drive my cars when I want to and where I can go.

I've always used Grundy. Haven't had a claim yet with them but they have never gone up in price.

God I hate insurance bs! I need to change but can’t honestly figure which one is the lesser of all the evils. I just want great coverage and service and not to break the bank. It’s such a scam! Much like health insurance.... I also can’t see why they jack folks around . I’ve worked with the adjusters as I’ve run a body shop years ago... They fix their personal stuff right but customers ... your on the chopping block most of the time.

Every time I have checked around for insurance, Hagerty is always the most expensive by far. I have Grundy and have been very happy with them. I did have a claim several years ago (not my fault), and they were great through the process.

I currently have (4) cars covered by Hagerty.
Haven’t had to make a claim thus far.
I don’t feel the premium I pay is excessive for the coverage they provide.
However I’ve never price shopped for classic insurance either.

When I bought my car in 2020.

I did some basic price shopping.
Haggerty was about 20% above the nearest competitor.

I've heard nothing but good things on how they handle a claim.
So I felt they were worth the difference.

I pay about $750 a year. For agreed value at $105k
And I can use my car for just about anything except daily driver duties.

Including ju

Last edited:
I've had Hagerty on Fred for all the years I've owned him now (over a dozen at last count).
As work on him progressed, I would periodically call in and request increases in the "agreed value" covered.
Once he officially became a car again, those periodic increases in value (replacement with like type car)
would occur annually at my call.

I have had a claim with them once and they were absolutely a delight to work with - I got to select the
repair shop and they took care of it from there. The shop was happy and I was happy and wasn't out one
cent in the whole process, other than the unrelated additional work I had the shop do while they had the car.
Bonus - my rate didn't go up as a result of the claim and they stayed in touch to see if everything went to
my satisfaction along the process.
Can't get much better than that in my book.

I have had a claim with them once and they were absolutely a delight to work with - I got to select the
repair shop and they took care of it from there. The shop was happy and I was happy and wasn't out one
cent in the whole process, other than the unrelated additional work I had the shop do while they had the car.
Bonus - my rate didn't go up as a result of the claim and they stayed in touch to see if everything went to
my satisfaction along the process.
Can't get much better than that in my book.
Sums up my experience with them too. Been with them 10 years and had a claim earlier this year. They were great to deal with and you can not tell my car ever got hit. Renewal came up a couple weeks ago and they did not raise my rates at all.

No problems or claims with Haggerty. However, on my other vehicles, Geico acted like my best friend until we filed for a total loss on a vehicle, then we got to see what fraudsters they really are. I had to hire my own appraiser who successfully exposed their fraudulent appraisal. Then oh boy did they pay to avoid getting reported! Point being, you never know how good they are until you hit them with a big claim. Dumped those a**holes as soon as we got the check!
Insurance companies will try to screw you, on collector car, daily driver, and homeowner's insurance. Lawyers get their cut too.

No claims here BUT—-

A friend of mine had a claim, Hagerty paid him current prices for his own parts stash as the parts were not intended to be used to repair this particular car that was involved in an accident.

I thought that was great.

I have been with Hagerty for >20 years for my RoadRunner, been very smooth to work with.
Unlike my other cars insured by AAA just went up 30%, but had no tickets, no claims, no accidents..

Just my $0.02.... :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back