• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hands free driving

If I don’t feel like driving I’ll take a bus, train etc.. or let the wifey drive which doesn’t happen very often.
It also makes me think of Tesla’s big tractor trailers that are self driving. Why not put that turkey on rails? It’s the same dang principle. Computers malfunction .. so do people but it trust people more than a machine.. And this whole AI thing is spooky!
After watching the " Wolverine " Movies, I wouldn't want to be around driverless trucks

A couple days ago I was talking to my wife as she was coming into Illinois out of Iowa on I 80. There is a port of entry(scale) just inside the state line. She tells me she has been following an autonomous semis. Then she starts laughing hysterically, she says there is a sign that says,All autonomous trucks must enter scale. We'll who the hell is going to read it? It kept right on going and the state police soon arrived and attempted to pull him over.

Last edited:
A couple days ago I was talking to my wife as she was coming into Illinois out of Iowa on I 80. There is a port of entry(scale) just inside the state line. She tells me she has been following an ontonomis semis. Then she starts laughing hysterically, she says there is a sign that says,All ontonomis trucks must enter scale. We'll who the hell is going to read it? It kept right on going and the state police soon arrived and attempted to pull him over.
The word is "autonomous"
Not trying to be a spelling Nazi, just for future info...
Funny story by the way...

Ah, to be young and capable of "hands-free driving" again....

Yeah, that was a penis joke...a bad one.

I can see this tech applicable to a handicapped driver or an elderly person who stills needs/desires mobility. Get in the car, say "Take me to Emilio's Pizza", and the car knows where this is. Or, "Take me to the ER at Bob's Hospital and Beauty Parlor" and off the machine goes.

Other than that...nope!

I can see this tech applicable to a handicapped driver or an elderly person who stills needs/desires mobility. Get in the car, say "Take me to Emilio's Pizza", and the car knows where this is. Or, "Take me to the ER at Bob's Hospital and Beauty Parlor" and off the machine goes.

Other than that...nope!
Per my post on the Old fart thread, I prefer to drive with BOTH hands and BOTH feet as I deteriorate.

806E64B6-28A5-4376-8A76-069F9458081B.jpeg

If its computerized...it can be hacked. Currently people are stealing cars by hacking the fobs/security systems/OnStar stuff. Wait till bad actors decide "I'm gonna make that GMC drive into that bridge abutment just for kicks".

No thanks.

I DO like adaptive cruise control on my Grand Cherokee - use it instead of "old" cruise, and it'll use the forward sensors to latch onto a vehicle in front of you and just pace it; all you do is steer. GREAT for trips MD to FL! But, I still have to participate by steering, paying attention, etc. It just takes the "matching speed" guesswork out of trying to pace traffic while resting your foot (and with 2 rods in my legs, my feet definitely can't stay in one position for too long or they go to 'sleep').

Rrrrrrrrrrriiiiiigggghhhhtttt......
Well, the next time a Coca-Cola truck drives by you, check to see if there's a driver. No driver trucks have been on the road for several years now (I **** you not)

If its computerized...it can be hacked. Currently people are stealing cars by hacking the fobs/security systems/OnStar stuff. Wait till bad actors decide "I'm gonna make that GMC drive into that bridge abutment just for kicks".

No thanks.

I DO like adaptive cruise control on my Grand Cherokee - use it instead of "old" cruise, and it'll use the forward sensors to latch onto a vehicle in front of you and just pace it; all you do is steer. GREAT for trips MD to FL! But, I still have to participate by steering, paying attention, etc. It just takes the "matching speed" guesswork out of trying to pace traffic while resting your foot (and with 2 rods in my legs, my feet definitely can't stay in one position for too long or they go to 'sleep').
I'm not a fan of the adaptive cruise control on my wife's Infiniti. My experience is that I tend to get behind a slower car and as I approach it, the cruise control will back the speed off at a rate I don't detect. After a while (since I'm not paying close attention) I realize that I'm going 10 mph slower than I was set for. IMO, cruise control is for when no one is in front of me.

My '69 Dodge D300 is the perfect example of a vehicle that requires full driver participation. NO power steering. It's a four-speed, requiring steering and shifting simultaneously. No cruise, no sat/nav, and no voices in ones head to direct them to point X. No cupholders, no A/C, not even window tint. All it has for distractions is an AM radio and the heater controls. And it does have power brakes!

D300 side2.jpg

No thanks.

I have found a new fun game for myself driving in BFE in WI.
Adaptive CC.
See, if I can slowly accelerate, so does the adaptive CC. It works if I get in the right spot from the back also on some vehicles.
My record so far is some crossover I "pushed" up to 73 in a 55. Then suddenly it slows down and I cruise by laughing while the 60 year old lady has both hands on the wheel and is staring at the dash cluster talking to herself....

It works if they tailgate me to, but it isn't as amusing to me.

I have also found it makes getting away from the tailgaters requires a determined act, so I usually just punch it for 5-6 seconds, then coast back down. The gap is too big for their CC to latch back on. I could care less if they follow me, but trusting the computer to drive and set speed while following at 2 or three car lengths doing 72mph does bother me.

The automatic headlights that don't work also bother me to no end. See, I dim my lights at a "normal" distance. But then their auto lights won;t think I am as close as I am, so they won;t switch until I am basically blind. Like 2 seconds before they go past their computer controlled lights finally see my dims. I thought at first everyone with a new SUV and Truck or fancy shaped LED headlights car was just an asshole, but have discovered while riding in a new vehicle while pointing out to driver his lights are on bright and getting the response" it's automatic" that it is just the computers that are ********.

I have never seen one
Sorry I could find a pic of a self driving semi truck with Coca-Cola on the side. I got the info several years ago from the owner of a LPG gas semi-truck fleet just south of Milwaukee.

Auto Transport Service
Back