• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled !

What does not kill you today merely postpones the inevitable. :p

Car is BITCHIN!!!!

Please tell us more about your stands.
u can roll around undernieth much easier without hitting the j.stands. and if u have to take a wheel off to do something, only 1 stand will be used. and they will jack up another 6 inches..creepers still killing me but its alot cheaper than spending 50k to raise the roof of my shop to install the 4 post. thanks.
https://myliftstand.com/

Some excerpts:

Harbor Freight sells jack stands made by a variety of manufacturers, which may be visually similar. In this case, stands produced by China’s Jiaxing Golden Roc Tools Co., Ltd are potentially defective; that’s why it’s important to check the part numbers, not just the models. While the company believes only some of the more recently produced stands are affected, it is recalling all stands with those part numbers to be sure. Taking all models and part numbers together, roughly 1.7 million stands are covered by this recall.

The design of these simple, rugged jack stands is ubiquitous; the same basic stand type is produced by a number of manufacturers (in fact, Harbor Freight’s stands come from several sources, not all of which are impacted by the recall) and sold at just about every hardware and auto parts store in America. Unless stated otherwise on the box or label, there’s a very good chance they, like Harbor Freight’s, came from a supplier in China.

In the case of the recalled Harbor Freight stands, the problem is not inherent to the design of the stands themselves. Instead, the retailer says that “aging of the tooling and inconsistent location indexing of the pawl armature hole” has led to a condition whereby “the ratchet teeth on the jack stand lifting extension inconsistently engage the pawl to sufficient depth. This potential lack of positive engagement means that the stand could fail suddenly and without warning; a small shift in the load on the stand could be enough to trigger the the failure.

Source:
Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled for Failure Risk; Check Yours Now

Yet Another Piece of **** made In China. I have been saying that for many Chinese items for over twenty years !

Damn, do I get rid of my stands that I’ve had for 20 years?

Seems the only thing to add here is;

You only get what you paid for....

Yeah , lets cheap out on safety...after all, it's only your life!!!

Just found another pair of recall stands, under my cortina. That makes three pair in use. Good thing the cortina doesn't weigh much.
The sad thing is, the harbor fright stands look and feel way more solid than the other ones i am using.

dan.jpg

Another car site had a recommendation of Torrin big red jack stands.. They come with a pin to double the safety factor..

Saw two different reviews that showed them best buy number one. 25 to 30 dollars a pair.

Got a tool catalog from Northern tool, had jackstands with a double-lock plus safety pin design. Very reasonable price too, on sale! Tried to order three pairs today, backordered into July. There's a surprise!

"Now The Replacement Stands Are Failing..."
Great Asian Quality, When will they learn.

So before it was the engagement teeth and now they're splitting apart? This guy a US tool salesman by chance! :rolleyes:

Did he say how much weight it took to split the weld? Poor design. sure. Fix weld outside seam and connect legs.

Got a tool catalog from Northern tool, had jackstands with a double-lock plus safety pin design. Very reasonable price too, on sale! Tried to order three pairs today, backordered into July. There's a surprise!
Broke down and ordered some in spite of the backorder. One six ton pair, and three three-ton pair. Unfortunately shipping wasn't cheap, or free. The refund from two pair of harbor freight stands didn't cover the shipping.

Bought a set of Torin 6 ton JS they have a pin you insert after setting height so you have a second tooth holding it. Problm same desigh as red HF's body.

Auto Transport Service
Back