• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harbor Freight Hoist too short?

Myasylum

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
I have a Harbor Freight hoist and it is about 6" too short. It is the 1 ton variety.
I was able to get the engine/transmission out it just slid everything forward and out. However putting it back in seems impossible.
Anyone else have this problem and what did you do? Can I remove the transmission and go I. From the side??
This is for a 72 roadrunner. The nose is pretty long on that body style.

Thanks!

Get a 2 ton, always use a lift designed to carry more weight than what ya need.

Ugh?! So I should buy another one? Trying to install from the side of the car is a bad idea, huh?

If there’s room, why not?

Believe it or not.
May not solve all you problems but it works.

If dropping the engine from the front (not installing from underneath) elevate the rear of the car.

It reduces the amount of angle when installing the engine.

Load levelers are nice dropping the engine/transmission as a unit.

Screenshot_20220719-183950_Chrome.jpg

I thought of that, my fear is that it's still going to be too short

Pictures of what you're dealing with?

Yeah, I think pics might help. I've done swaps with ceiling hoists, engine hoists,and body drop methods. So, I'm not sure what you mean by "too short".

The boom doesn't extend far enough. I think I took a picture. The engine is out, it's a matter of getting back in.

20220714_203715.jpg

It's difficult to see what you're up against. You can use a load-leveler to adjust the angle. Or mount the chain fore-and-aft, adjust the pickup point on the chain for a good angle to drop it in. I'm puzzled, if you got it out, why can't it go back in ? Post #5 may help, as well.

The picker is not too short. The boom is normally adjustable for length/height. You just need to get it in the proper place. I hope you are not installing it like in the picture with the heads off and everything exposed.
You don't really specify what the exact problem is. It won't go back in ?? You can't get the engine high enough to clear the radiator support or you can't lower the engine down enough to disconnect the chain ?
You do have a conventional K member on a 72 and if you need to lower the car you can simply loosen the torsion bars and put a floor jack under the k-frame. Then you can lift the front end with the jack to help align the engine/mounts.
Of course I assume you have at least one other person who can safely operate the hoist controls helping you...
1 Ton Capacity Foldable Shop Crane

I've done the following when I had this problem in the past.
Remove the front wheels, lower the car, then get the motor and trans in the engine bay, raise the car, put the wheels on, finish lining up the engine mounts.

Last edited:
I have a Harbor freight hoist, and I own a 72 Road Runner. Never have had a problem getting the motor in or out. Hoist worked on my wife's 71 Road Runner. Also used it on my 84 Ramcharger when I built the motor. Something must not be hooked up correctly

I have a Harbor freight hoist, and I own a 72 Road Runner. Never have had a problem getting the motor in or out. Hoist worked on my wife's 71 Road Runner. Also used it on my 84 Ramcharger when I built the motor. Something must not be hooked up correctly
Is it the 1 ton or 2 ton hoist?

I had the same issue on my 64, engine came out no problem because it was just the block, and pulling it up and forward was not an issue.
Fully dressed engine, the bumper guard was preventing it from sitting back far enough on the mounts, pump on crane was up against bumper.

Can you easily pull the bumper off?
Raising the rear and lowering the front does help.
I thought of going from the side too, but there wasn't enough room for the crane legs under the car from the side, wheel on, or off with stands.

Buy the load lifter. It will shift the engine back a whole bunch. Also shorten the chains don't bolt them up to the end loop so the load lifter is tight against the engine. Shorten the chain on the lift hook as well so your center of gravity is not as high on the hoist.
There are modification you can do to your hoist to make it work as well.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back