• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard to beat a .030 over 440 for the money ?

Challenger340

Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
I still like these Engines !
Because with the relative abundance of Cast Crank RV Motorhome 440 Cores it's hard for us to find a more cost effective way for 500 hp/515 Ft/Lbs ? and especially right now with the supply chain issues ?
Basics:
LY Rods with ARP Bolts
2067" CD Forged Pistons, 5/64ths rings
Entry level Aluminum Heads
Torker 2 Intake(that's all we could find right now for under hood clrc )
850 Vacuum Secondary
CompCams XE274H for easy Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam run-in @ sub .500" Lift / 285'ish Lbs
HT976 Lifters
Clevitte Brg's throughout
M63HV
6 Qt Pan/pickup

I mean we can get technical all day long ?
and granted.... we do apply what is IMO a very good quality Labor Pkg to the Parts Pkg ?
But my point being.....
how do you beat a .030" over 440 Core Build for the money ? given the "cubic dollar" factor to go Stroker ?

* Never goes below 485 Ft/Lbs all the way from 3,500 rpm thru 5,300 rpm and peaking at 514.5 Ft/Lbs @ 4500 rpm ?
with a "FUN" factor reaching 500 HP @ 5,500 rpm ?

IMG-3959.jpg

Last edited:
I totally agree. Just simple and effective, great bang for the buck. I know these days it's stroker this and fancy head that. For decades though we built stock based 440 street engines that would run 11's with just simple basics.
I see guys building 500 inch strokers with aftermarket everything and I bet a lot of them aren't tuned and setup properly to outrun an old school 440 that has been optimized.

The motor home block has some great things going for it. Oil and water passages beef up and can be had for less money than a standard 440 that has already been torched to death. So the build for a straight street engine would be great and can get the job done.

I always appreciate Challenger340’s take on “lowly” 440 engine building. Strokers are not an automatic decision for some guys wanting a rebuild.

If you have serviceable OEM stuff that isn't worn out junk, ok. The argument for cost effectiveness of a stroker kit is always if your stuff is junk or you don't have stuff, it's just as affordable to build bigger

Auto Transport Service
Back