• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 motor for the 63

cornpicker

Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
Just finished the dyno session on saturday before Christmas on the street motor for my 63 and could not be happier. 440 short block, 9.8 comp. KB pistons, 452 heads topped off with Rick Allison's A&A cross ram. Made an EVIL 666 HP and 603 TQ on pump gas from Shell. The kicker is it made 500 ft. lbs. from 2500 to 6500, real nice flat torque curve ! I have to thank Scott Koffel and Dave Cunningham (Woodruff Carbs) for all the help with knowledge & excellent work. Dave's carb work & Distributer re-curving really brought it around into one nice street motor. Scott's magic on the 452 heads helped tremendously along with A&A manifold. I'm going to have to find a good source for rear tires !

Just finished the dyno session on saturday before Christmas on the street motor for my 63 and could not be happier. 440 short block, 9.8 comp. KB pistons, 452 heads topped off with Rick Allison's A&A cross ram. Made an EVIL 666 HP and 603 TQ on pump gas from Shell. The kicker is it made 500 ft. lbs. from 2500 to 6500, real nice flat torque curve ! I have to thank Scott Koffel and Dave Cunningham (Woodruff Carbs) for all the help with knowledge & excellent work. Dave's carb work & Distributer re-curving really brought it around into one nice street motor. Scott's magic on the 452 heads helped tremendously along with A&A manifold. I'm going to have to find a good source for rear tires !
so what ci is it 440 or bigger ? thanks

The bore is +.040 only because it dropped a valve and nicked that hole. It completely caved in the combustion chamber so the head was not repairable, they were 906 heads and I have a real nicely done one if anyone had a similar problem to match there 906. I figured since I plan on driving it all over and to work I found a set of 452's from a motorhome and Scott installed a larger intake valve and did some bowl work and matched to A&A cross ram intake. I don't have the flow #'s here with me but I will post tomorrow. They really work great with the long intake runners & cam.Could not be happier for not alot of expense ! I'll post flow #'s of the 906 head also. Thanks for looking

Daniel, I don't know how to scan & post a sheet but I'll give you some numbers to compare.The 906 intake peaked @ 254.15 at .600, the ex. was 181.54 at .600.The 452 intake was 278.07 at .700 , the ex. was 205.01 at .700 but the real story was how much he picked up the low & mid range flow, I think that contributed more to the flat torque curve. The cam was a roller with under .600 lift but 260 dur. @ .050 and 110 lobe center. I hope this helps answer your question.

What phone ? I'm still stuck in the late 70's ! LOL but thanks for the info, I'll try to get one of my buddies to get on this site with a couple pics.

Here’s a pic Frank.

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0358.jpeg

Year ago I dynoed my crossram motor. 498", 12-1 compression, untouched Indy-1's, .660" roller cam, original max wedge port window crossram. Car ran a best 10.18@133. It made 657hp@5750 rpm. Acording to Wallace those numbers are pretty close to the dyno numbers.
Doug

max wedge 498.png

Doug, I'm really looking forward to driving this car this year. I have a set of slicks mounted on steel wheels and I plan on bringing it out to Norwalk & 42 for the Mopar events. I have the invoice for the convertor from Turbo Action and I'm hoping the convertor will work, again this is 90% street driving getting hamburgers ! If I got into the 11's I would be super happy, I will stop over and see you as I've allways admired your car and it's performance and I have talked to you before when your son was running the 4 door @ Norwalk. Take care

Auto Transport Service
Back