• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hardened Fuel Pump Pushrod

unclepunchy

Local time
11:00 PM
Reaction score
I am running a Solid Roller Cam (Billet) and just purchased the Melonized Dizzy gear and hardened pushrod from Hughes. Am I good to use the hardened pushrod or do I still need the bronze tip?

I tried several times to ask the Hughes techies but they are impossible to get a hold of and are taking up to 4 weeks to answer emails.

I am running a Solid Roller Cam (Billet) and just purchased the Melonized Dizzy gear and hardened pushrod from Hughes. Am I good to use the hardened pushrod or do I still need the bronze tip?

I tried several times to ask the Hughes techies but they are impossible to get a hold of and are taking up to 4 weeks to answer emails.

Honestly.....that worries me. Hardened could put it past the hardness of the cam lobe and cause it to fail?

Billet cam, yes, you need the bronze tipped fuel pump pushrod.

What confused me is that the Melonized (Hardened) dizzy gear is okay to use but not the hardened pushrod? I guess they need to make a melonized fuel pump pushrod. :}

I am just trying to make things as low maintenance as possible. I dont really want to worry about checking the bronze tip for wear, etc. I guess I could just buy a blockoff and go electric pump?

Run the bronze tip, and if it goes to ****- move to the electric pump?

If you run out of fuel pressure, time to investigate.

Melanized is only a coating, not hardened. The issue is that they can not be similar metals or else they will abrade each other. The bittet cam is a hard steel so the other part needs to be softer (bronze) or coated (melanized).

Last edited:
Lube the wear area before fire up with cam/lifter grease.
Measure it before you put it in - and pull it out after 6 months and check it.
There will be some initial loss of length as it wears in.
If the tip is an inferior metal it will have worn quite a bit.
The tip should be a wear bronze not brass.

Lube the wear area before fire up with cam/lifter grease.
Measure it before you put it in - and pull it out after 6 months and check it.
There will be some initial loss of length as it wears in.
If the tip is an inferior metal it will have worn quite a bit.
The tip should be a wear bronze not brass.

Thanks, roger that.

Auto Transport Service
Back