• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the car market gone to far? Or have I lost perspective

Roger63

Local time
11:56 PM
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220509-202154_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220509-202119_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220509-202109_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220509-202101_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220509-202052_Facebook.jpg

I sure hope this isn't a members car

I'm just wondering do these cars bring this kind of money?

me glh 1986.jpg
I had a similar critter new back in those days ('85 GLH Turbo).
Friend of mine had a GLHS; another had a black version of mine, too.
Those cars were what you bought from Ma in those days if you wanted
a "hot rod" from Mopar...
They were a stone blast to toss around, but mine couldn't stay out of the
dealer on warranty stuff ("a sensor a month") and I traded it off on a new
5.0 Mustang in December 1988 after admitting defeat.

Now.....HOW much are they asking for that thang?? :eek::eek::eek:

View attachment 1282786

We had 1985 the non-turbo version of one with the 2.2HP and 5 speed. I believe the price on it was $3,000 or 3,500 back in 1990 or so as a used car. I want to say it 50k or 60k on it then? It was black and I remember the carburetor was kind of a pain and the transmission had to be replaced at 135k miles on it. Handle well for what it was and could some things once you folded the seat down. A couple of times we hauled things on top. It was sold to buy a truck around 1995 or so.

We had 1985 the non-turbo version of one with the 2.2HP and 5 speed. I believe the price on it was $3,000 or 3,500 back in 1990 or so as a used car. I want to say it 50k or 60k on it then? It was black and I remember the carburetor was kind of a pain and the transmission had to be replaced at 135k miles on it. Handle well for what it was and could some things once you folded the seat down. A couple of times we hauled things on top. It was sold to buy a truck around 1995 or so.
Sounds about right. I paid $8800 for the GLH Turbo new; the GLHS had not arrived yet when I did (but we knew
it was coming). Mine had 146hp, the GLHS had 175 because of the addition of an intercooler among other things.

Mine wound up chucking the final drive pinion right out the side of the case at 49k; the dealer balked at covering
it under warranty, so I got a regional Chrysler rep to come in.
He made a deal with me; Mopar would pick up the tab on the transmission and labor if I would buy a new clutch.
They started using the Getrag transaxle with the GLHS, which is what they should have been using on the
others anyways.

With the "musclecar years" Mopars priced so I high, I think people are looking for different alternatives to get into the hobby. Also, Gen X (I am member) are starting to have an effect of prices of cars from the 80's. Look at the prices of 5 litre Mustangs, they want way up in value over the last few years. I read an article where Gen Xers are most of the buyers of 70' and 80's SUVs. Could explain the price gains of Blazers, Bronco's Ramchargers, etc.

With that said, that is a lot of money for a GLHS, in my opinion. You could still get a pretty nice 68-71 Road Runner or Super Bee for that money, probably a pretty nice E-Body if one was patient.

My two cents :)

Red GHL Charger around the corner from where I work.

5K.

Looks solid with faded original paint.

If I fit in them, I might be interested although the last 80's FWD turbo car I had was electronics, vacuum, and transmission HELL.

I might still try a 4 door if one pops up.

Remind me of an 85 Shelby Charger turbo that I had. I remember the car was easy to work on. Which was good, because it always needed worked on.

I can get you into this beauty for pennies on that dollar!

B36813C2-78B2-487C-8843-C936EC33698A.jpeg

View attachment 1282786

Who knew you used to look like Lou Gramm?
e62906a618276a5db52af2d7d3a1fa9b.jpg

1210923-1d7fbf00a16a692e35e09617d19b63d1.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds about right. I paid $8800 for the GLH Turbo new; the GLHS had not arrived yet when I did (but we knew
it was coming). Mine had 146hp, the GLHS had 175 because of the addition of an intercooler among other things.

Mine wound up chucking the final drive pinion right out the side of the case at 49k; the dealer balked at covering
it under warranty, so I got a regional Chrysler rep to come in.
He made a deal with me; Mopar would pick up the tab on the transmission and labor if I would buy a new clutch.
They started using the Getrag transaxle with the GLHS, which is what they should have been using on the
others anyways.

If I were able to get one I would get what we had so not interested in a turbo car. The 2.2HP was around 110HP and I think we put a later transaxle out of another FWD Chrysler product but, can't remember. The factory muffler blew out on it (if I remember correctly) and we put a Cherry Bomb Style Turbo Muffler on it. Sounded good for a 4 cylinder. Lately, with everything going on I've been tempted to look for one despite the fact that my significant other would hate it and I would hate to get into a crash with it. I think ours got around 25 mpg-30mpg on the highway. I do remember the carburetor being a Holley which was typical of that era Mopar.

So, regarding the value. I believe part of the reason why the values have gone is because of the Shelby moniker and now that he has now passed on that makes it even more valuable as well. Look at the Shelby Dakotas, those have doubled in price from what I remembered. The other big thing for these things is that parts are hard to find. I imagine even harder than an Aries or Reliant these days. I guess time will tell with what will happen with the values. With the forecast of a recession and ever increasing fuel prices (don't turn this political btw) we will see where prices go. If you want to see how crazy things are look at what a Dodge 600 convertible(s) have gone for recently. You know the ones with the 2.2 turbo as well.

Remind me of an 85 Shelby Charger turbo that I had. I remember the car was easy to work on. Which was good, because it always needed worked on.

A family member had the cousin car which was about the same which was the Plymouth Turismo. My name for it was the "Turdrismo" and it was always breaking down compared to the Aries and Reliant that was within the family at that time as well.

The GLHS was a fun car to drive but the box body style hatchback just never appealed to me.

That's a nucken' futs price even 'in the bizarro world' for a GLHS
or any fwd later 70's or 80's squared-off torque steering shitboxes
even if turbo'd with Carrol Shelby's name on it or not

(sorry to the GLH guys, not meant as an insult, just reality on values)

some of the market is crazy
asking prices can be crazy
especially on rusted hulls, incomplete cars

auction prices can't be used to judge any std or price either

some people have more $$ than sense

some just get into a pissing contest too

move on if it's not in your budget range

------------------------------------------------------

now the 68-70 Charger Market is unreal, or the 70-71 E-body
& nothing you can do about it,
unless you buy some spaghetti strainer rusted hull, money pit
& have the skills & funds to do a $70k+ resto