• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the car market gone to far? Or have I lost perspective

I didn't realize that they made a GLHS Charger. Very cool ! Damn I would love to have one, and then pass it down to my oldest boy.

If your interested look around ,they're out there and for not much money in fair shape. Many Mopar turbo cars havent been driven because of a blown head gasket,,not a big deal as you know.

an 85 advert.

85 Charger Shelby Advert. #1.png

87 Daytona Shelby Z, IIRC was a 2.6 turbo like the Conquest were
87 Daytona Shelby Z Advert. #1.jpg

or the 87 Shelby Dakota Express
87 Dakota Express #1.jpg

The turbo Daytona did eventually get a 2.5, but it was IIRC 1990 or 91.

Conquest/Starion had a mitsubishi motor.

These cars almost tempting for me. Brings me back to a bit nostalgia for me. With the way things are these day especially for myself personally I'm close to that edge but, there's a part of me that says I should stick with getting a Dakota Convertible or Prowler. I guess it depends on what lands my way or is meant for me.

If your interested look around ,they're out there and for not much money in fair shape. Many Mopar turbo cars havent been driven because of a blown head gasket,,not a big deal as you know.

Yeah, I come across some every now and then, but I currently have over a dozen vehicles. I really wish that my oldest boy would want to get one, and I could get involved that way. BTW, back in the day, if we were replacing a head gasket that was just leaking externally on a non- turbo 2.2, I could get it done in about 35 mins.

Wow, I had an 86’ Shelby Charger as my first car. (Aside from an Aries K car that I junked before I even got my license. I even had common sense at 16 years old, LOL)
I really enjoyed my turbo 2.2 Shelby for a while but it was a junk box.
I killed a trans and had a lot of random issues with it.
These cars were cheep junk boxes that paid no homage to the Mopars of the past or the Shelby name.
I ended up moving on to an 89 t-bird super coup and shortly after that DSMs.
Mustangs and Camaros were moving back in the right direction while dodge was building VW golf imitations.
I always thought it was sad times for the brand. I think Mitsubishi was what really pulled them ahead and then they went for round two with the Neons and the likes.
They could have done better back then but they lost there roots. These cars are nostalgic to me because of my memory of my first car but the reality is they are junk and I would choose 100 other cars to spend that kind of money on before a GLHS or fake Shelby dodge.

Does anyone remember how good the quality was right down to the clear coat the would peel off like gold members skin?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I decided to take a look into these K based platforms minus the Omni since that came out in the late 70s. The thing is they are hard to find and when you do find them, it might be best to get the best one you can get. But, even then finding parts for these is a bit hard unless you have a collection of part cars even for the little stuff. The market is what it is but, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the pricing. If I had the money and space I would consider owning one I guess but, at this point I think an older SUV or truck would be better in that depending on the model you could have more aftermarket support or finding NOS parts.

It’s gone crazy if you ask me. It’s good if your selling and bad if your buying. I’m looking to back in the game but right now does not look like a good time for me.

Wow, I had an 86’ Shelby Charger as my first car. (Aside from an Aries K car that I junked before I even got my license. I even had common sense at 16 years old, LOL)
I really enjoyed my turbo 2.2 Shelby for a while but it was a junk box.
I killed a trans and had a lot of random issues with it.
These cars were cheep junk boxes that paid no homage to the Mopars of the past or the Shelby name.
I ended up moving on to an 89 t-bird super coup and shortly after that DSMs.
Mustangs and Camaros were moving back in the right direction while dodge was building VW golf imitations.
I always thought it was sad times for the brand. I think Mitsubishi was what really pulled them ahead and then they went for round two with the Neons and the likes.
They could have done better back then but they lost there roots. These cars are nostalgic to me because of my memory of my first car but the reality is they are junk and I would choose 100 other cars to spend that kind of money on before a GLHS or fake Shelby dodge.

Does anyone remember how good the quality was right down to the clear coat the would peel off like gold members skin?

Give me a break. They were basically ALL slow junk back then. You don't think Ford and GM had clear coat problems ??? They were twice as bad as Chrysler's. I liked the T-Birds of that era, but the Turbo Coupes were junk. We were constantly putting engines, cyl heads, turbo's,exhaust manifolds, etc, etc on those. Yeah GM was building rear wheel drive vehicles, thank God ! I bought a '86 Monte SS myself ( with some clear coat issues). Don't think anybody here is saying the cars from Chrysler of this era were the gold standard of automobiles. Chrysler did what they could with what they had, at that point. Just relax, no need to be a jerk about it. Oh sorry, I see you said Super Coupe not Turbo Coupe. Worked on alot of those, also. Dogs.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back