• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys heard about the horrible crash on I-70 in Colorado?

Panic - Check
Incompetent - Check
Ignorant - Check

Bad combination of factors.

The bad part, that idiot had every opportunity to bury his rig in a runaway ramp and didn't! Those big yellow flashing signs are there for a reason or maybe he doesn't read english? I wonder how many times he drove that grade? If this was his first time, that one is a BITCH! I hated going into Denver with my Diesel F250 and a car trailer. It's really easy to get "rolling".

If anything, the only real good from this is one more idiot not driving a 70K pound missile and the video of him bypassing the runaway ramp should be REQUIRED viewing for anyone wanting to drive a rig. Better be in every curriculum for a license along with the aftermath shots. This is what happens when you don't use your fricken brain.

I'm sure plenty of litigation is going to come out of this one. Horrible situation which could have been easily avoided. Gross negligence on display in full force.
Im just curious, do they sell engine brakes for that engine in your Ford? Would that help you? How do you drive down that road, while towing your trailer? Thanks.
One time some years back I drove a rented Chrysler Mini van up into those mountains. It was only four of us and luggage, that thing was upshifting downshifting constantly. I finally took it out of OD and it still strained. Took awhile to reach were I had to go. Coming back was a breeze, seemed to be half the time

Here is mine.

DIYExhaustBrakediagram.jpg

Just kidding. I rigged up a DTDP switch that would close up the turbo backpressure valve in one position. In the other position it will close the valve when the brake light switch was activated. So I could lightly put my foot on the brake, not drag the brakes at all, brake lights come on, home made jakebrake closes the valve up. Works pretty well. I've heard that some people have fried/floated valves in some cases and it really should add some fuel to keep stuff cooler. Not going to rework the ECM for just that though. Just have to be smart with use.

During summers in the early 70's, I used to ride with my Uncle in his COE Freightliner up and down CA I-5 CA-99. I asked him about those runaway ramps on the Grapevine. He said it was expensive to get pulled out of them. But, it was better than killing yourself, or worse, potentially a bunch of innocent people. Too bad this idiot didn't ever talk to my Uncle.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back