• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

Budgie smugglers???

What the heck is that?!? :popcorn:
UD1.jpg

Bet you're glad you asked now....:lol:

Today we had a "zero" day, meaning we didn't make any miles towards the West coast. Instead we did a 4 mile underground hike in Mammoth Cave. I have to say, it was really cool.

Taking pictures in low light conditions probably don't produce the best pictures. But hopefully they convey at least a little bit. The caves are very varied, some were carved out with water, while others were formed from where there were cave ins. In addition, some parts were dry, while others were wet (with stalagmites and stalagmites). Overall, it was really a cool, 4 mile hike!
20220509_083823.jpg

20220509_101436.jpg

20220509_104409.jpg

20220509_112655.jpg

20220509_112805.jpg

20220509_130952.jpg

20220509_131852.jpg

20220509_132015.jpg

Wife and I love going to the numerous caves in this part of the country - ok, probably me more than
she, but all the same, it's always a wonderful day when we do!

One other note:

A few of you expressed concern about our glass fuel filter:
20220509_145025.jpg

Well, we bought a metal fuel filter
20220509_145123.jpg

And installed it today.
20220509_161221.jpg

So that issue is fixed.

We'd like to find some insulation for the fuel line. Our theory is this:
Aluminum heads conduct heat very fast compared to cast iron. With a well working cooling system (which we appear to have), we are fine while driving. But once we shut the car off, we believe the aluminum heads are transmitting heat to the fuel line and causing it to boil. So we are hoping if we insulate the lines we can slow that heat transfer after shutoff and then improve hot starts. Now to just find some fuel line insulation we can find at an auto parts store...

See you on the Road tomorrow!

The RoadKill Runner is moving on tomorrow!

One final note:

We had said we were going to head towards New Orleans. But life is full of choices and we have limited time. It seems that heading more directly West through the Ozarks in Arkansas has some more sights we want to see vs. sights that are available before and after New Orleans.

We appreciate any thoughts you have on sights in Arkansas/ Oklahoma/ Northern Texas vs. Mississippi/ Louisiana/ Southern Texas. Lots of great things to see in both directions, but we can only do one. Which way and why?

Old school ---Try some of the campfire aluminum foil until you find what you want! Put it on loose. It worked at the drag strip in the 70s!!

Old school ---Try some of the campfire aluminum foil until you find what you want! Put it on loose. It worked at the drag strip in the 70s!!

Love it! That's easy to try and we have aluminum foil. We'll try it!!!:thumbsup:

Maybe weather forecast be your guide. OKC nice town though. We recently did the southern states you suggest. Tried to learn the language…

ms2.jpg
If you're traveling through Oklahoma make sure you catch a tornado along the way. I'm only half kidding. Tis the season. Maybe you can visit Big Chief in OKC. Here's a tip, when in Oklahoma be respectful of Native Americans. That is no place to act the fool. Much like Wyoming and Montana.

Last edited:
Maybe weather forecast be your guide. OKC nice town though. We recently did the southern states you suggest. Tried to learn the language…
:lol:
"Ewe ain't frum aroun' he-ah, ah ya boy?"

A lot of those southern states are going to be hot already. Some people like that. I'm not one of them.

Very poor service tonight. Near Memphis in a camp site. All good.

Will provide better update hopefully tomorrow.

Glad you got the brakes worked out! Wow, your route is taking you in a ricochet direction!!!!
Last October My friend and I did the Dragon three times consecutively on my FJR. Each run
was faster and more daring. Called it a day when I saw a few wrecks and didn't want to be a
statistic! Keep the pic's coming Hawk & Barry!

Auto Transport Service
Back