• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

Here are two shots of the area near Cass Railroad. Nice area for sure!
View attachment 1281104
View attachment 1281105
Then we went to New River Gorge. Nice area and the bridge that was built over the gorge is pretty impressive.
View attachment 1281107
View attachment 1281108
View attachment 1281111
One final picture of the RoadKill Runner undergoing surgery.
View attachment 1281112
...and finally resting for the night at a local Motel...
View attachment 1281109
Pretty close to Radford when you're near that river/bridge. Home of the #1 party college in the country.
Also home of an old army ordinance production facility with TONS of history...
and that bridge is ri-donk-ulous. Unreal.

I'd caption it "ED! USE A DAMN JACKSTAND, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!"
Oh no, wait....I was having a flashback of everyone else yelling that at me....
:lol:
Ed, I know I'm a bit crazy, but I TRY to be careful. There was a floor jack plus a scissor jack holding the car up. Damn it, Larry couldn't bring the right sized jack stand to add to it...some lame excuse about moving his building around his yard... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ed, I know I'm a bit crazy, but I TRY to be careful. There was a floor jack plus a scissor jack holding the car up. Damn it, Larry couldn't bring the right sized jack stand to add to it...some lame excuse about moving his building around his yard... :rofl::rofl::rofl:
:lol:

A quick note on gas:
I started running the car on 89 octane, but we have been pumping in 87 octane. First mixed with half a tank of 89, but today we fueled up 100% with 87. No pinging so far that we can detect.

A/F ratio is also good. On the highway, we hover in the high 14's.
20220507_081932.jpg

With everything clean and shiny you'll likely be okay for 5-10,000 miles. I found mine started pinging as some carbon developed had to go from 89 to premium.
High 14s are great for driving around.
High 13s are better for some grunt power.

With everything clean and shiny you'll likely be okay for 5-10,000 miles. I found mine started pinging as some carbon developed had to go from 89 to premium.
High 14s are great for driving around.
High 13s are better for some grunt power.
I'll take as many 87 octane miles as I can with gas costing as much as it does! Yeah, for this trip we are just driving around - more power isn't needed. It has plenty to get us around!

Today we hit the road again and first went to the Floyd Garret Muscle Car Museum. Here are all the pictures from there...
:bs_flag:

It was permanently closed, although their website was still active and said they opened at 9 AM this morning. :mob:

Oh well, so we went to Cooter's, which is a small attraction for the Dukes of Hazzard. Since my car is the same as Daisy Duke had early on in the show, I got a real close parking space!
20220507_113139.jpg

The Charger in front was a "jump car", so it was actually a Crown Victoria with Charger body panels. They also had a Charger inside as well.
20220507_115037.jpg

They had the Jeep that Daisy Duke drove after the yellow Road Runner went off a cliff...
20220507_114122.jpg

I tried to drive it out but they wouldn't let me!
IMG_4786.jpg

Then we headed to the Smokey Mountains. It was raining (again/ still), but they are aptly named!
20220507_152959.jpg

Here is a nice shot of a dam
20220507_153039.jpg

We then drove the 11 mile length of road 129 called the Dragon's Tail. It was wet, and the Road Runner doesn't handle so well anyway. Plus, when we got on it, it quite easily was breaking the rear tires loose.
20220507_153226.jpg

So we probably weren't the fastest ever to drive the road, but Barry's hair was still on fire after the drive!
20220507_154923.jpg

Thanks to @conv67bdere for the suggestion too drive this!

We headed up towards Kentucky. Tomorrow we will go to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. Now before I get flamed for doing so, realize I have a family heirloom Corvette that was my father-in-laws (a 1962 340 horse close ration 4 speed with a 4.11). Plus, I think this is a museum not to miss - I hear it is really well done.

Geez, buzz right by us here why don't ya @HawkRod ?
Oh well, we'll wave from here. Been a little busy with post-storm cleanup anyways.
Things got sideways yesterday...
Anyways, Floyd's place closed last October and he's passed since, sadly.
There's a thread on it here - as well as this announcement on the website:
https://musclecarmuseum.com/index.php/museum-closing/#:~:text=It is with mixed emotions that we inform,Museum. That dream of his has been fulfilled.
I wonder why they didn't change the main website and update opening hours? Oh well, so be it.

I don't want to buzz by anyone! Happy to visit any FBBO folks we can fit in! We'll be back through Tennessee when we go South from Kentucky!

It is exactly the filter shown in the picture.

OK. We'll get rid of it. I've used it for years with no issues, but maybe I just got lucky. Easy enough (I hope) to find a better fuel filter.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Great advice as I was going to post about the “glass” filter as soon as I read that… many go through high heat cycles and end up getting loose as the o rings on the end distort especially with the ethanol gas of today… It then sprays everything down with fuel.. Like WildRt says starts many fires.. Glad to hear it’s fixed and you are on the road again!! You missed 2.5 inches of rain up our way the last 48 hrs…

Just a quick update:

First, it seems our "camp engineering" to push the plunger in and out several times may have worked. The hub stayed cool all the way Wytheville, VA. We found a caliper there that can be delivered at around 2 PM today. @conv67bdere is coming to help us with some tools, so hopefully we will get the caliper swapped and be back on the road tomorrow.

More pics and updates later...
That Larry is one great guy.....awesome to see members helping each other out like that :thumbsup:

I would think the Corvette museum would be on my list too.... Just watch out for sinkholes....

Great suggestion fellas. We'll look at them tomorrow.

Any of the below
  • Take a "hobo shower"
  • Drive with the windows open
  • Avoid people
Now, it's not an adventure until you break down.
View attachment 1280670
Looks like the front left brake caliper partially froze up. We started smelling brakes and that wheel was really hot.
We tried a campside fix by pushing out and then back in the piston a few times to get it to move more freely. It may have helped a little, but it's still not good.
I tried calling some auto parts stores but no one seems to be able to get the pin type caliper quickly. We will try calling more tomorrow, but we might have limited range until we can get this fixed. :(

lmao........ great pic, it's a keeper!

Tonight we are at a campground on Nolin Lake. This is just above Mammoth cave in Kentucky. We will stay here tomorrow too and check out the cave tomorrow.
20220508_155736.jpg

The main event today was the National Corvette Museum. It was nice to see, although there was a tinge of selling new Corvettes rather than being a museum for the past ones. Small gripe though, overall it was cool to see.

Here is a cutaway 1953
20220508_095020.jpg

Some racers:
20220508_101458.jpg

20220508_101633.jpg

20220508_101804.jpg

Some experimental cars too:
20220508_102440.jpg

20220508_105250.jpg

Then there was this 1962. Same car as mine except the colors are reversed.
20220508_104038.jpg

Tonight we bought some steaks for the grill, and we will relax by a campfire!

great documentation & photos :thumbsup::thumbsup:

hope more smooth sailing in the future :bananadance:

Take a sweatshirt to Mammoth Cave.
You're going to need it. It was in the 90's when we arrived, about 10minutes in we were freezing our butts off. My kids nor I have never forgotten that. You'll be impressed at the sheer magnitude of it.
Good times Hawk.

Take a sweatshirt to Mammoth Cave.
You're going to need it. It was in the 90's when we arrived, about 10minutes in we were freezing our butts off. My kids nor I have never forgotten that. You'll be impressed at the sheer magnitude of it.
Good times Hawk.
Thank you for the tip. Yes, I saw it is about 54 degrees down in the caves - cool for sure!

Auto Transport Service
Back