• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawkrod 'RoadKill' Cross Country Trip 2022

Awesome trip!
If you lose your way and end up in Saskatchewan and need a shop let me know!

Thanks - I'm glad my trip is potentially inspiring folks to get in their cars and drive & enjoy them.

Yes, so far, the issues I have had with the car all relate to things that I didn't do (e.g. I replaced the entire braking system except the front calipers and master cylinder. So what went wrong? The front caliper and master cylinder :rolleyes: ).

While I have some issues with the Thermoquad when starting, the engine runs very strong and smooth. Since I threw the Thermoquad on literally just before I left, I'm sure it could use some tuning and adjustments, but it is really not an issue. So far, the transmission that I built is shifting strong and reliably.

I have three issues that I will just have to deal with:
1) I brazed a hole shut in the A/C just before we left and hoped that would work OK. It seemed like it did but a week and a half after the trip the A/C quit working. @1 Wild R/T helped us charge it but unfortunately that charge only lasted one day. So something else blew or failed with the A/C. It will stay non-functional for our trip back and I'll have to truly fix it when I get back.

2) My valve covers leak (Yes, I know not to overtighten them). I think the casting on these covers are just a problem. The leak is making the engine a mess, but is a minor issues really. When I get back I will put on a good old fashioned stamped set to stop the leaks.

3) I have a slight transmission leak. I think it might be the dipstick tube. Again, nothing major, I'll just keep my eye on it.

So that's the car update. I now have about 5,500 miles on it for the trip so far, and I expect another 5,000-6,000 miles before I get back. Hopefully any major issues are behind me! :praying:

on the dipstick tube take a Dixie cup, put some brake fluid in it an dribble some brake fluid where the tube goes into the case. Hopefully the rubber O ring will swell.

Oh, and one final picture from the Veterans Memorial Sculpture Garden. I felt my car reflected in the memorial also depicts how the park caused me to reflect as well.
20220605_184313.jpg

Thanks - I'm glad my trip is potentially inspiring folks to get in their cars and drive & enjoy them.

Yes, so far, the issues I have had with the car all relate to things that I didn't do (e.g. I replaced the entire braking system except the front calipers and master cylinder. So what went wrong? The front caliper and master cylinder :rolleyes: ).

While I have some issues with the Thermoquad when starting, the engine runs very strong and smooth. Since I threw the Thermoquad on literally just before I left, I'm sure it could use some tuning and adjustments, but it is really not an issue. So far, the transmission that I built is shifting strong and reliably.

I have three issues that I will just have to deal with:
1) I brazed a hole shut in the A/C just before we left and hoped that would work OK. It seemed like it did but a week and a half after the trip the A/C quit working. @1 Wild R/T helped us charge it but unfortunately that charge only lasted one day. So something else blew or failed with the A/C. It will stay non-functional for our trip back and I'll have to truly fix it when I get back.

2) My valve covers leak (Yes, I know not to overtighten them). I think the casting on these covers are just a problem. The leak is making the engine a mess, but is a minor issues really. When I get back I will put on a good old fashioned stamped set to stop the leaks.

3) I have a slight transmission leak. I think it might be the dipstick tube. Again, nothing major, I'll just keep my eye on it.

So that's the car update. I now have about 5,500 miles on it for the trip so far, and I expect another 5,000-6,000 miles before I get back. Hopefully any major issues are behind me! :praying:

When you look at the long list of what you did to the car and pretty much zero shake down prior to going on an extended cross country road trip I would say your car trouble’s have been very few. This speaks to how serious you are about any task you take on. How detailed your plan is for getting the job done right and that says a lot about you as a great person to know and learn from. Thank you for letting everyone follow along with you.

When you look at the long list of what you did to the car and pretty much zero shake down prior to going on an extended cross country road trip I would say your car trouble’s have been very few. This speaks to how serious you are about any task you take on. How detailed your plan is for getting the job done right and that says a lot about you as a great person to know and learn from. Thank you for letting everyone follow along with you.
Thanks for the kind words.
When I do things, I try to do them right, but I make mistakes just like anyone. I am no ace mechanic by any stretch, but do have some experience to help me.
I really should have tested the car more before I left, but life and other issues like the vibration got in the way. So sometimes you just have to go for it and deal with things as/if they come up.

I wanted this thread to be the "real" experience, so you all will see and hear about the good and the bad!

Thanks for following along - it takes some work to update posts and it is nice to know a few folks are following along and enjoying them!

Happy Birthday @HawkRod

great thread, love the documentation & photos :thumbsup:
:drinks:

Thank you!

Tonight I am in Portland, OR and we will be having a birthday dinner at a seafood restaurant called Salty's. (And a cold one too!)

Have a great Birthday Dinner.. Sorry to hear the cold air escaped... I like the reflection of your Roadrunner in the Veterans Memorial, cool shot..

Road tripping on birthday, PRETTY DAMN COOL HAWK!! Great present from the Mrs & yourself!! ENJOY

We had a great dinner for my birthday at a place called Salty's on Portland. Expensive but very, very good!

Thanks for all the Birthday wishes!

Hawk

IMG_1590.jpg

My wife flew home today, and Barry is back, as well as my neighbor Matt who will join us as well for a few days. Now three of us packed in the old beast!

Today was mostly a driving day, but we did enjoy the Columbia River gorge as we drove East.
20220608_102543.jpg

20220608_104331.jpg

Tonight we are breaking ourselves back in to camping - we are staying in a rustic cabin. Pretty nice and soon we'll have a roaring fire to cook on!

20220608_173922.jpg

We had a great dinner for my birthday at a place called Salty's on Portland. Expensive but very, very good!

Thanks for all the Birthday wishes!

Hawk

View attachment 1296256
My wife flew home today, and Barry is back, as well as my neighbor Matt who will join us as well for a few days. Now three of us packed in the old beast!

Today was mostly a driving day, but we did enjoy the Columbia River gorge as we drove East.
View attachment 1296258

View attachment 1296259

Tonight we are breaking ourselves back in to camping - we are staying in a rustic cabin. Pretty nice and soon we'll have a roaring fire to cook on!

View attachment 1296262
Looks like you are driving east on the Washington side. FYI. The Yakima Mopars Unlimited is having their annual show this Sunday. The Tri Cities Mopar club is having their show on Saturday. If you want details PM me

Looks like you are driving east on the Washington side. FYI. The Yakima Mopars Unlimited is having their annual show this Sunday. The Tri Cities Mopar club is having their show on Saturday. If you want details PM me
We just passed the Tri Cities today; we are now outside of Glacier National Park. Likely we are too far East for either of these?

Some nice country we drove through, although we had a boring stretch along part of it.

No great pictures today - tomorrow we are going to try for Glacier National park and hopefully I'll have a few of those to share.
Here is "home" for the next two days:
20220609_193104.jpg

Are you going by custers last stand?

We spent yesterday in Glacier National Park. Glacier is a tale of two parks: The West side is the busiest and you need a reservation to get in and the East side is the part of the park that is seldom visited - no reservations needed. Yesterday, Glacier wasn't even fully open since the one main road is still snowed in and not fully open. We tried to get in to the West side first, but we did not have a reservation and none were available. It was raining so we decided to drive around to the West Side. It took about 2 hours to get there, but wow! The weather was good over there and there was some awesome stuff to see.
On the way in we caught a rainbow...
DSC_0658.JPG

DSC_0661.JPG

20220610_120751.jpg

DSC_0662.JPG

DSC_0664.JPG

img_5171.jpg

20220610_111002.jpg

Later, we did get in to the West side (it was after 4PM and no reservations are required then). But we ran out of time (and were low on gas) so we didn't have a chance to explore too deep into the park from the West.
IMG_5181.jpg

Another great National Park that I'll be glad to visit again!

Last edited:
Today was mostly a driving day, and part of the day it rained hard so the driving was a pain.
We dropped my neighbor off at the airport so he could fly home and then we headed towards Yellowstone. Here a just a few pictures from the trip - there is always a lot of cool stuff to see from the car!
20220611_081614.jpg

20220611_084925.jpg

Two dinosaurs side by side!
20220611_091443.jpg

20220611_101256.jpg

Tomorrow is Yellowstone and I will likely have poor service again - I'll post again when I can.

Auto Transport Service
Back