• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HawkRod's new driver - Warning: Non Mopar content!

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:05 AM
Reaction score
I'll try to tell a story and channel a bit of @moparedtn although I'll never do stories as good as Ed....

So when I got back from my 2022 drive across country I was driving my 73 Road Runner quite a bit - using it like an (almost) daily driver. I found that I really enjoyed driving a classic car. But, it had some body/ rust issues, and I came to realize that the best thing for the car was to sell it and allow a new, passionate owner to care for it. I found a great young guy and I am really happy about where it ended up.
20220614_113541(0).jpg

But I lost my driver.

Separately, my father-in-law was always into classic Corvettes. I am now am the owner of his 1962 Corvette, which was his pride and joy for many years. In 2019, he asked me to be the next care taker, and I gladly accepted. Yeah, I know it's not a Mopar, but it has classic lines.
20190602_095319.jpg

Well, in the early 90's my father-in-law's best friend really wanted a Corvette too. So my father-in-law found him a Corvette in California. He drove and enjoyed it sparingly for many years. Well, then it sat for the the last 7 years, and finally his friend decided to sell the car due to some health reasons.
As you all have surely guessed, I ended up with it. This is mainly because I was able to buy it for a price I couldn't refuse - I would have been stupid to walk away. Yes, the fuel system is gunky, it has some electrical gremlins and the interior needs a little TLC, but the body and paint is super and the car has no rust! Yeah, I know, everyone laughs at "no rust" statements for Corvettes because they are made of fiberglass, but the frames have a tendency to rust. Worse yet, the fiberglass body is built on a "birdcage" of metal. If the birdcage gets rusty, you are pretty well screwed because you essentially have to tear off all the fiberglass to fix it. Well, this car has none of those issues. It is a 69 Corvette Coupe with 30,606 original miles, 350 small block, automatic, A/C, PS, PB and power windows too. It is not a fire breathing hot rod, but instead a perfect cruiser.

So, I am going to clean it up and make this my new (almost) daily driver. I'll drive and enjoy it, and not really be too worried about it.

Here are a couple of shots:
20221120_155204.jpg

20221120_155218.jpg

Now, don't worry. I'm not going over to the "dark side". I'm still a Mopar guy through and through. But sometimes life drops strange opportunities into your lap that you just can't pass up. Plus, this will still be a lot cooler to drive around in than some old Honda Civic or something! Additionally, if I later come upon some cool Mopar that I can make my driver, I can always sell this and convert the money into another Mopar.

I know this a B body forum, so I won't bother you guys with any build details. But I figured I needed to let you know what life dropped in my lap.

Last edited:
if it had plastic bumpers and an 85 mph speedometer, I'd have to bust your balls :lol:

I had a ratty (wasn't horrible) 68 rag with a 4 speed and chrome side pipes........ late 80's, po boys didn't have vettes back then; it was fun ........I can't find a picture of it anywhere

Last edited:
If I was to ever buy a Corvette, it would be a 61/62. Id have to change out those skinny bias ply tires and wheel covers for something else.

Yup, real chrome bumpers... Small block = good driver, I'd prefer a stick but again, good for a driver.... Your already use to driving a bright yellow car so your good there... I Approve.... :thumbsup:

If I was to ever buy a Corvette, it would be a 61/62. Id have to change out those skinny bias ply tires and wheel covers for something else.

those are absolutely my favorite years of Corvette

used to be a red one like Hawk's in the barn next door....... 1979 / 80ish

Nah I am just kidding. I like C3's. In my youth a local guy had one with a 454 and would give us youngsters joyrides. That was a lot of engine for that car lol.
The body style is timeless, it will always get attention.
I am a bit partial more towards the C4 ZR1, but a big block C3 is a close second. A 350 should be just enough to can run it hard without it getting too squirrelly, which is always fun in it's own right :)

Nah I am just kidding. I like C3's. In my youth a local guy had one with a 454 and would give us youngsters joyrides. That was a lot of engine for that car lol.
The body style is timeless, it will always get attention.
I am a bit partial more towards the C4 ZR1, but a big block C3 is a close second. A 350 should be just enough to can run it hard without it getting too squirrelly, which is always fun in it's own right :)

Small blocks don't pump a bunch of heat into the interior of the car... Probably less of an issue in Wisconsin, but here in the Central Valley where we see 100+ a good bit & 110 a few times every year it matters... In my twenties I worked at a shop where the owner was the president of the local Corvette club... Worked on a lot of early Vettes back then, Big Blocks get all the Wows, but the guys who really drove them always wanted a small block...

Big Block=Cruising the boulevard, Small Block = putting in 300+ miles up in the mountains on Saturday then hitting the Beach on Sunday...

Small blocks don't pump a bunch of heat into the interior of the car... Probably less of an issue in Wisconsin, but here in the Central Valley where we see 100+ a good bit & 110 a few times every year it matters... In my twenties I worked at a shop where the owner was the president of the local Corvette club... Worked on a lot of early Vettes back then, Big Blocks get all the Wows, but the guys who really drove them always wanted a small block...
The guy with the big block when I was young had a convertible.
Also, I grew up farming in WI, WI is for the Nords. It is -20F in the winter and can be 100 in the summer with a dew point in the high 80's. It is like the jungle. you can see the humidity like fog, in the middle of the afternoon with no clouds. It isn't just the winter that makes older people move to Florida from here(or Arizona) I baled hay in the hayloft in that weather in my teens. So a ride in a car that gave me hot feet didn't phase me. Besides, around here cars like that go for bar hopping or cheeseburger cruise ins. I guess if I wanted one to drive the interstate I would feel differently. Not much interstate where I live.
For 15 minute righteous burnout filled trips to the next town over, no one cares(d) about cabin heat in the summer. But that is just around here.

The guy with the big block when I was young had a convertible.
Also, I grew up farming in WI, WI is for the Nords. It is -20F in the winter and can be 100 in the summer with a dew point in the high 80's. It is like the jungle. you can see the humidity like fog, in the middle of the afternoon with no clouds. It isn't just the winter that makes older people move to Florida from here(or Arizona) I baled hay in the hayloft in that weather in my teens. So a ride in a car that gave me hot feet didn't phase me. Besides, around here cars like that go for bar hopping or cheeseburger cruise ins. I guess if I wanted one to drive the interstate I would feel differently. Not much interstate where I live.
For 15 minute righteous burnout filled trips to the next town over, no one cares(d) about cabin heat in the summer. But that is just around here.
I rode in plenty of Big Block Vettes, no doubt about it, torque can hang the tail out at will..... Lotta fun... But go for a real drive and the small block shines, handles better, stops better, less heat in the foot well, less fuel being used... Just a better driver..

mine had a 400 small block 4 bolt main, looking back, probably a rarity.....maybe a truck or bus block?
solid lift Crane (blazer or fireball?) cam, torker and double pumper...... ah, the memories

Hawk, do you have the camel hump heads? :popcorn2:

Have fun with them! I don't miss the Wife's... LOL I sold it on her, Mother's Day 2018. She still loves me though...

Car had a '70 x 350 LT1 in it, muncie 4 gear and something close to 5's in the back. Could cruise town in 3rd and start the car without putting the clutch in!
corvettecleanupspring2018 195.JPG
corvettecleanupspring2018 203.JPG

I'll try to tell a story and channel a bit of @moparedtn although I'll never do stories as good as Ed....

So when I got back from my 2022 drive across country I was driving my 73 Road Runner quite a bit - using it like an (almost) daily driver. I found that I really enjoyed driving a classic car. But, it had some body/ rust issues, and I came to realize that the best thing for the car was to sell it and allow a new, passionate owner to care for it. I found a great young guy and I am really happy about where it ended up.
View attachment 1604483

But I lost my driver.

Separately, my father-in-law was always into classic Corvettes. I am now am the owner of his 1962 Corvette, which was his pride and joy for many years. In 2019, he asked me to be the next care taker, and I gladly accepted. Yeah, I know it's not a Mopar, but it has classic lines.
View attachment 1604481

Well, in the early 90's my father-in-law's best friend really wanted a Corvette too. So my father-in-law found him a Corvette in California. He drove and enjoyed it sparingly for many years. Well, then it sat for the the last 7 years, and finally his friend decided to sell the car due to some health reasons.
As you all have surely guessed, I ended up with it. This is mainly because I was able to buy it for a price I couldn't refuse - I would have been stupid to walk away. Yes, the fuel system is gunky, it has some electrical gremlins and the interior needs a little TLC, but the body and paint is super and the car has no rust! Yeah, I know, everyone laughs at "no rust" statements for Corvettes because they are made of fiberglass, but the frames have a tendency to rust. Worse yet, the fiberglass body is built on a "birdcage" of metal. If the birdcage gets rusty, you are pretty well screwed because you essentially have to tear off all the fiberglass to fix it. Well, this car has none of those issues. It is a 69 Corvette Coupe with 30,606 original miles, 350 small block, automatic, A/C, PS, PB and power windows too. It is not a fire breathing hot rod, but instead a perfect cruiser.

So, I am going to clean it up and make this my new (almost) daily driver. I'll drive and enjoy it, and not really be too worried about it.

Here are a couple of shots:
View attachment 1604485

View attachment 1604486

Now, don't worry. I'm not going over to the "dark side". I'm still a Mopar guy through and through. But sometimes life drops strange opportunities into your lap that you just can's pass up. Plus, this will still be a lot cooler to drive around in than some old Honda Civic or something! Additionally, if I later come upon some cool Mopar that I can make my driver, I can always sell this and convert the money into another Mopar.

I know this a B body forum, so I won't bother you guys with any build details. But I figured I needed to let you know what life dropped in my lap.
Nice 69 piss yella' Vette

no offense meant,
I've had a few on them myself
like the 62 also

if it had plastic bumpers and an 85 mph speedometer, I'd have to bust your balls :lol:
I'd bust my own balls, and I wouldn't have bought it, no matter how good the price! I think people used to call them "disco Vettes"

The problem is the wheel wells are tiny - no room for big tires. The 62 is incredibly original and has never been restored, so that will stay totally stock. Due to the family heritage, the 62 is a keeper with the family.

Yup, real chrome bumpers... Small block = good driver, I'd prefer a stick but again, good for a driver.... Your already use to driving a bright yellow car so your good there... I Approve.... :thumbsup:
I have already thought about putting a TKX in it. I very much prefer a stick too. But as a driver, in stop and go traffic, the automatic is more comfortable. I guess when I want to drive stick and have fun I'll take out my Road Runner or the 62 Vette.

mine had a 400 small block 4 bolt main, looking back, probably a rarity.....maybe a truck or bus block?
solid lift Crane (blazer or fireball?) cam, torker and double pumper...... ah, the memories

Hawk, do you have the camel hump heads? :popcorn2:
It has the camel hump heads. They are decent heads, from what I understand. It is a 4 bolt main block, 10.25:1 compression. No fire breathing animal here, but still should run acceptably and be a fun driver.

Good luck and I hope you don't have any regrets.
Well, the good news is if I have regrets, I can sell it and put money in my pocket towards my next car. But first things first is to get it running well and reliably. Then I can see how I feel about it.

Like you and many here, I'm a die hard Mopar guy, but I can appreciate and enjoy looking at all makes of cars at the local shows. There are several GM & Fords that I really like, but I can't see myself ever owning any of them.

My friend picked up this one last week. 454 4 speed. He has about 35 Mopars,and about 25 other assorted GM cars.

image000000(7).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back